PDA

View Full Version : Need help at Hallett

ShadowBolt
06-06-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm embarrassed to say I have never been door to door around a track. The only lines I have ever run is the "fast line" or the "wet line". I want to run some laps side by side like most of you did in Racecraft. I have never run even one lap door to door. I know Jay has not been able to do this either. I don't know about Bryan or anyone else. Is there a way we could do this on Friday at Hallett? Since Jay and I share a car we would need to do this at least two sessions. Who do I need to contact......Adam.....Kevin.....Todd?

JJ

AI#97
06-06-2008, 03:19 PM
There is a friday practice day...pay at the track...see who is there and offer to go "play"....but you might discuss it with who is in charge of Grid...probaby Mr. Stephens.

I know there are going to be a few AI/CMC guys there early on Friday so look around and ask.

Otherwise, get ready for a baptism by Fire on Saturday...it's a tight track and the field is going to be HUGE!

donovan
06-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Just don't play with Corey... he will run you off the track... ask me how I know... :P

DD

If I am there running practice... I will help!

cobra132
06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I will be at Hallett all day on Friday and would be happy to run arround the track door to door with you or jay. I'll see you there. Frank

mitchntx
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Same here, Jerry ... We can get it done ...

michaelmosty
06-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I'll be there for a 1/2 day as well. We can have a mini-race. :D

Wirtz
06-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Heck, I say run the track 3, or maybe 4 wide! Someone bring a camera...

Jeff
- never been to Hallet

Adam Ginsberg
06-06-2008, 08:16 PM
In 2005, Mike Patterson held a "License Day" at MSR-C. With the exception of an incident late in the day during a "graduation race", the day was a success.

Here's a small list of what Mike had the new drivers do during the day that can be accomplished at Hallett with a little help, organization, and preparation:

2 x 2 – drive side by side around the track at about 80% speed
2 x 2 - around the track with passengers/instructors (if applicable)
2 x 2 - same as above but switch seats (if applicable)
2 x 2 - solo

Clearly, most can't have a passenger in their car for obvious reasons. However, the item that should be most looked at is the side-by-side driving - I recall Lewis telling me that it was a fantastic experience doing this. The drivers did 2 or 3 laps side by side, then switched, and did it again. It wasn't at some parade lap pace, either - it was at approximately 70-80%. I believe it was a huge help to the new drivers coming into the series.

If, for whatever reason, this cannot be accomplished at Hallett, I'll look into scheduling a day/session at TWS in August to do this with the new drivers.

ShadowBolt
06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
In 2005, Mike Patterson held a "License Day" at MSR-C. With the exception of an incident late in the day during a "graduation race", the day was a success.

Here's a small list of what Mike had the new drivers do during the day that can be accomplished at Hallett with a little help, organization, and preparation:

2 x 2 – drive side by side around the track at about 80% speed
2 x 2 - around the track with passengers/instructors (if applicable)
2 x 2 - same as above but switch seats (if applicable)
2 x 2 - solo

Clearly, most can't have a passenger in their car for obvious reasons. However, the item that should be most looked at is the side-by-side driving - I recall Lewis telling me that it was a fantastic experience doing this. The drivers did 2 or 3 laps side by side, then switched, and did it again. It wasn't at some parade lap pace, either - it was at approximately 70-80%. I believe it was a huge help to the new drivers coming into the series.

If, for whatever reason, this cannot be accomplished at Hallett, I'll look into scheduling a day/session at TWS in August to do this with the new drivers.

Great!

Rsmith350
06-07-2008, 08:51 AM
This brings up an interesting question for me. Now that I have done HPDE 1-2. What comes next. Do i need to have a fully legal car to run RACECRAFT?
Hoping to have the car done by TWS. Where do i go from here? I WANT THAT ROOKIE PLATE!!!! and then i want to lose it REAL fast :)

BryanL
06-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I have never been to Hallett or run door to door around the whole track. I am interested in doing this on Friday if I make it up in time.
Anyone have some decent in car video they could post up to help the newbies learn the track?

Ross-you don't have to have a legal car to do HPDE 3-4 and racecraft. But there really isn't any difference in that and DE 1-2 except a different group that is faster. Get with Adam about getting the paperwork done to get your license.

Rsmith350
06-07-2008, 09:06 AM
But there really isn't any difference in that and DE 1-2 except a different group that is faster.

That is THE difference! Woo Hoo! damn i can't wait!!!

David Love AI27
06-07-2008, 09:11 AM
I want to run some laps side by side like most of you did in Racecraft. Is there a way we could do this on Friday at Hallett?

JJ

I'm your huckleberry....

rpoz27
06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
BMWCCA Racecraft had us go 3 wide all the way around TWS at about half speed. Each time we got to the front straight we would switch positions, so everyone got a turn in the middle. Then we played 3 man leapfrog through the turns. Each time we got in a turn the guy in back would pass to the front. They used one racer/instructor with 2 students for these drills, so they were able to get info on any potential problems. Really good, fun drills and invaluable the first time the entire CMC pack passed me on the inside of 10 at TWS. :roll:

My favorite was the mock races. Do a formation lap. Take the green flag at start/finish. Race to Turn 6 where there would be a yellow flag. Reform the group randomly. Do it again. We were told that at some point Turn 6 wouldn't display a yellow and that meant race to start/finish to take the checker, a cool down lap, and come in.

If NASA would like to do some of these drills with Racecraft students, I'm sure most of us would be happy to help out. If they can't be fit into a race weekend, I'd be willing to work something out on the test day before the TWS weekend, so they have their own session time and a controlled environment for practice.

Rsmith350
06-07-2008, 11:51 AM
WOW! I'd love to do that.

jeffburch
06-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I have never been to Hallett or run door to door around the whole track. I am interested in doing this on Friday if I make it up in time.
Anyone have some decent in car video they could post up to help the newbies learn the track?

Ross-you don't have to have a legal car to do HPDE 3-4 and racecraft. But there really isn't any difference in that and DE 1-2 except a different group that is faster. Get with Adam about getting the paperwork done to get your license.

Devil made me do it.
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/hallett_05_r3.wmv

jb

ShadowBolt
06-07-2008, 11:10 PM

Devil made me do it.
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/hallett_05_r3.wmv

jb

Great vid. I could not see the first hit.

JJ

chris-CMC#35
06-08-2008, 10:28 AM
You know, all this talk about 'side by side,' 'switch,' etc sounds like what actually happens in NASA Rocky Mtn. The Comp School that our folks have to go through is very detailed, and not everyone passes their first time.

Chuck Taylor heads this program, and he's seriously dedicated to the idea of making sure people are really ready for a Provisional License.

-chris

cobra132
06-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Hallett 401 by Professor Burch. Another excellent vid. Very instructional. Frank

jeffburch
06-09-2008, 09:52 PM
HMRC 2006
1st couple of laps from each race.
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/2006_hilites_edit.wmv

jb

mitchntx
06-09-2008, 10:20 PM
HMRC 2006
1st couple of laps from each race.
http://www.argentlab.com/nasatx/jeff/pics/2006_hilites_edit.wmv

jb

LOL ... you schooled Chris on the start of R2 and I got the big hand trying avoid the big winged car in R4 ... 8)

ShadowBolt
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I really like Jeff's vids. The right hand gestures are the best part!

JJ

mitchntx
06-10-2008, 08:07 AM
I really like Jeff's vids. The right hand gestures are the best part!

JJ

It's obvious Jeff needs more to do while cruising around the track. :P

BryanL
06-10-2008, 09:25 AM
JB-thanks for the vids-I think it will help me get a podium finish :lol:
I have heard about the start on R3 but cool to actually see it.

You know in the first vid he posted there are times when I don't ever see is right hand on the steering wheel for what seems like a long time. I guess thats where that extra digit comes into play and I have to keep both hands on the wheel.

You know it seems like there are lots of cars on those vids that I have never seen on the track.

michaelmosty
06-10-2008, 09:59 AM
trying avoid the big winged car in R4 ... 8)
Now I'm confused, I thought you were talking about me. :lol:

mitchntx
06-10-2008, 10:15 AM
trying avoid the big winged car in R4 ... 8)
Now I'm confused, I thought you were talking about me. :lol:

They all look alike to me ...