PDA

View Full Version : TWS fireworks show this weekend

rpoz27
07-01-2008, 11:43 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/rpoz27/TWS-July5-Flyer.jpg

If you are looking for something to do with the family this weekend, here you go. Car entry for the burnout contest and show is $15. We would love to have some race car entries, not just the usual trailered pretties. Car show is not judged. Prizes will be given by raffle. Burnout contest will be judged by a panel of 3. If you're just spectating, everything is free.

Prizes are dinners, a day at TWS with a Miata, a $200 certificate good for Discount tire, and other assorted goodies.

Kester Racing will be on site with their Star Mazdas. JC and Kristi Kester will be giving ride alongs in the track Miatas on the 1.8.

Fireworks show will be the same as that given at the George Bush Library by the city on the previous night.

Hope some of you can make it!

Rob Liebbe
07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
It's cool to see that the track is getting some usage in addition to racing. Seems like this will help the track survive.

Rsmith350
07-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Hey misty...my girlfriend and I will be there. You gonna be around to say hi?

rpoz27
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I'll be there. You going to bring your car and enter the show?

Update: We will also have the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile on site. The Wiener girls will be giving away Wiener whistles. :lol: (Was that ever a weird phone call! Kept expecting the guy to say "Haha just kidding! So-and-so put me up to it!" Was all I could do to not laugh out loud. As it was, Martin and Corn thought I was having a seizure while this guy on the phone keeps saying things like the above with no laughter at all in his voice. Freaking surreal. Wish I could have recorded it.)

BTW, Martin's looking for scrap 18x9.5 tires so he can do the burnout contest in his race car. If anyone has any close by, let me know.

David Love AI27
07-06-2008, 12:08 AM
What a blast... Great to see the Liebbe family there... I took the AIX #27 and Hallett video and entered the burnout competition... took 2nd to a 4th gen firebird with NOS... the judges gave him extra "show" points cuz he purged the NOS before the run but I did pretty good for my first time...

There were some VERY cool cars and a great fireworks display...

Thanks to the owner and staff of TWS...

rpoz27
07-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Burnout contest was great. We had Bill Mather and 2 Discount Tire guys judging. Everyone had a good time and the crowd loved the show. Even Froy, our maintenance guy, got in on it in one of the TWS work trucks. One of my instructors jumped in our LeMons car (Neon) and gave it a try. Tried to get the track owner to try it in a track Miata, but he had too much fun judging. He'd never seen a burnout. I had to explain to him 2 weeks ago what one was. :shock: A midnight blue TA 4th gen won. I thought it should have been David, but the Discount Tire guys and Bill thought differently.

Show went really well. We filled all the garages. Sharon Conole lent us her Earnhardt and Petty NASCARs for the show. Couple of $250000 cars even without motors and trans. Wicked cool!

The Marines were there with their truck and were giving away prizes to the kids. The Wiener Mobile was a hit. We've got pictures of it going in and out and in and out of the tunnel. 8) It also did parade laps on the 1.8. Ride-alongs were popular. We had all 5 cars on course for the entire 2 hours that we offered them.

Kester Racing was there with their Star Mazdas and transport. JC and Kristi took pictures with kids, let people sit in their cars, and gave ride-alongs in the Miatas.

Fireworks show was fantastic. They were fired from the south end of the tower parking lot. The Nascar bowl did some really cool things to the sound and the show was visible from anywhere in the paddock and, I imagine, from a long way down Hwy 6.

We raised quite a bit of money for the S. Brazos Valley Volunteer Firefighters. 1200+ people signed waivers at the gates, not including minor waivers. Think what the track could do with more than 3 weeks lead time on something like this.

So, the short version is that the event was a success, will be an annual thing, and it won't be spur of the moment next year. Let this serve as notice that next year I'm going to bug the crap out of AI/CMC, in particular, and NASA TX, in general, to show in force. It's already been decided that we will have a race car class for the car show and it will be judged. I think I'm going to enter my car in it 'cuz if it ain't fast at least it can be pretty, right? I'm also playing with the idea of reinstalling the line lock. :twisted: Maybe we can get the 65 Impala running again by then, as well.

Rob Liebbe
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
We had a good time as well. My two boys really dug the burnout contest - good job to David Love whose comment to me just before the burnout was "I don't know how to do it, but I guess I'll figure it out." He certainly figured it out.

The fireworks were very good. It was weird to hear to hear the metal grandstands reverberate at each loud explosion.

I think this event should and will catch on. I'm glad to have been at the inagural event.