PDA

View Full Version : Strut mount damage

Alien
07-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Crap...

Just noticed this while removing the heater and adding lightness to Knocker... passenger side Caster camber plate is bent.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/80FD8773AACA632

Don't know when it happened, but my guess is I dropped 2 right sides off and the shock bottomed out.

How do you go about fixing this? Obviously new c/c plates or for now go back to the factory ones. I'm more concerned about the body. The top of the mounting area should be flat, and the area around one hole has been pulled up maybe 1/4". Just hammer it back flat and be on my way or should I be shopping collision shops? Suggestions?

8.36.8. If slotted plates
are used, they shall be located on the existing chassis structure and shall not serve as
reinforcement for that structure. Some minor trimming of the chassis strut tower opening is
allowed to provide for additional suspension adjustment.
According to this, I can't reinforce this area but I can remove material?

jeffburch
07-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Disassemble it and shoot another pic of it.
From the top and from under as well.

Looks like a good excuse to have the fancy new style plates huh?
They have a lifetime guarantee, call them monday
http://www.hotpart.com/index.php?p=contact

jb

Wirtz
07-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Wow, pretty tweaked.

As you said, you can clear the unibody slightly, I had to on mine. What ever plate you end up using, check the clearance to the hood. Mine had more space on the top than I expected so I raised it up a bit to try to get some more shock travel and to let the bumpstop do it's job. Mine can still bottom out however if I am not careful.

Check for broken welds on the unibody strut top.

Jeff

jeffburch
07-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Also, just wanted to say, if it was mine, I'd dissassemble and beat everything back flat like it's supposed to be.
Unless you bottom, this area just locates the top of the shock, and, is only subjected to shock loads (compression/rebound).
The entire load of the car is on the spring/K-member.
No biggie, find a BFH.
jb