PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Question

marshall_mosty
07-07-2008, 10:31 AM
If a power steering rack and/or power steering pump go out, would engine performance suffer?

Michael and I ran my AI car in a 4 hour enduro at TWS in April and during the first 45-minute stint, the power steering started to go out and the motor seemed to be getting down on power. The engine seemed strong, but it didn’t want to pull as hard in 4th and 5th gear. I would imagine based on my pace with some slower traffic that I was approx 60HP down on the top end of the motor. (292HP/302TQ typically)

I’m hesitant to tear into the motor since it mechanically did fine and we were able to continue and finish the last 3 hours without power steering (boy did that suck). The plugs looked normal for the motor. No other “funny” motor sounds or behaviors existed other than the lack of PS and the evident lack of power.

For reference, the front straight of TWS is wide open and I’m typically able to pull 5th gear to approx 5800. In this instance, after the power steering started to go away, I was only able to pull to 5100-5200.

Adam Ginsberg
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
If the PS pump is failing, it's conceiveable that it could cause more resistance/drag on the motor. Even a properly functioning PS pump uses some HP to operate, like all engine driven accessories do, so it stands to reason a failing/failed unit could use more HP to turn.

R&R the pump, and take it back to the track and see how it behaves.

marshall_mosty
07-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Adam,
I'm going to R&R the rack and pump and see how it goes. Will probably put it on the dyno again to see how close to my normal numbers are.

Just wanting to see if there is a different school of thought.

cobra132
07-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Does your PS system have any type of vacuum assist of connection to the vacuum? If so that might affect power. FMR

marshall_mosty
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Frank,
Nope, just belt driven pump.

donovan
07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
It could be that your corner entry and corner exit speeds were lower becuase of the steering issue, thus resulting in slower straight speeds.

DD

marshall_mosty
07-07-2008, 10:40 PM
David,
I don't think so. Michael had to give Rob a point by on the front straight and they both didn't lift. Rob got past Michael.

Coming out of Larry, Moe, and Curly wasn't that big of an issue without the powersteering. Not 600-800 worth of corner exit.

AI#97
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM
what 5th gear do you run? .85?

If the pump was dead and had THAT much drag on it the belt would be roasted and the pump would be a large chunk of metal.

If you were down on power under load, I am thinking fuel pressure or a coil breaking down...too many variables that could be wrong that would have lasted 3 hours on track!!!

Rob Liebbe
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
David,
I don't think so. Michael had to give Rob a point by on the front straight and they both didn't lift. Rob got past Michael.

I rule!!!!!! 8)

Actually, I bet Donovan is closer to correct on this subject.

michaelmosty
07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
The corner entry and exit speeds I'm sure were a slight factor in this but the main issue is the motor.
You could hear a slight miss when in 4th gear and then 5th gear barely pulled at all. From the pit wall you could hear it wasn't running right. I'm going to check the pump tonight for tension.

marshall_mosty
07-08-2008, 10:34 AM
Matt,
I believe the 5th is a 0.85.

We'll try a replacement coil and module, just to see what we get.

Rob Liebbe
07-08-2008, 03:10 PM
I just went through a similar issue with a friend's stock Mustang. We changed a bunch of ignition parts with some improvement. Eventually, the battery went completely dead. The alternator died on him and the entire sytem was low on voltage even thought the car would crank over just fine. Check your system voltage/charge output.

AI#97
07-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Matt,

Just comparing I guess because I pull 5850 with a .80...but I think my tach reads a little low...?

I am betting a keystone light that it's a coil or module in the dist...

michaelmosty
07-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Matt,

I am betting a keystone light that it's a coil or module in the dist...

Keystone light, who would drink that crap? :wink:

donovan
07-08-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm still think it was corner exit speed...

I have some data on my car that shows the MPH diffference is significant.

I have been wrong before, but I was amazed at how significant the difference in MPH was at the end of the straight (at TWS) was based on my corner exit speed coming onto the straight. (from DL1 system)

DD

marshall_mosty
07-09-2008, 09:15 AM
David,
Maybe it's a combination of everything...

I'll throw parts at the problem and see where we get. 8)

mitchntx
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.pscmotorsports.com

I met these guys at a trade show (thanks Virginia) and they claim to build PS pumps that rival Turn One pumps.

If you don't know, Turn One supplied ASA and NASCAR with PS pumps when they had the spec LSx motor.

They are located in Azle and say they can rebuild and revalve any PS pump to any pressure and flow rate desired for $80.

I am gonna send them a pump and see how it works.

donovan
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM
David,
Maybe it's a combination of everything...

I'll throw parts at the problem and see where we get. 8)

If anything you will have some spare parts when you are done!!! :D

Been there, done that!!!

Good luck and don't throw to many parts at it.

DD