PDA

View Full Version : ECR Track Issues?

BryanL
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
I know NASA TX said there were some track issues at ECR while we were at Hallett. They stated the track would be ready for our race. I was looking at running with Drivers Edge the first week of Sept at ECR but they have moved that date to MSR Cresson.

Anybody have any update on ECR being ready for our race or an alternative if it isn't ready?

AI#97
07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I know NASA TX said there were some track issues at ECR while we were at Hallett. They stated the track would be ready for our race. I was looking at running with Drivers Edge the first week of Sept at ECR but they have moved that date to MSR Cresson.

Anybody have any update on ECR being ready for our race or an alternative if it isn't ready?

From what I understand and the word in the grapevine is that the track is fucked and bumpy as hell and the top layer of paving is coming apart. I have been trying to get out there and "evaluate" it but have been screwing around too much lately to get out that direction. I might head out there on Sunday to what gives but I might be too critical of it! :oops:

GlennCMC70
07-23-2008, 03:19 PM
wonder if there is a place to eat luncn. i would be intrested to tag along w/ you.

AllZWay
07-23-2008, 05:02 PM
A buddy of mine lives nearby and he rode his motorcyle out there just to check the place out since he knew we would be racing there later in the year..... they bascially told him in unkind ways to get the hell out of there.

He said he and his buddy were very pissed at they treatment they received while there.

Kind of sounds worse than Houston... if that is possible.

AI#97
07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
A buddy of mine lives nearby and he rode his motorcyle out there just to check the place out since he knew we would be racing there later in the year..... they bascially told him in unkind ways to get the hell out of there.

He said he and his buddy were very pissed at they treatment they received while there.

Kind of sounds worse than Houston... if that is possible.
but I am MFW....they have no choice but to kiss my ass! :lol:

gl there isn't much of anything out that way but we could meet up...

jeffburch
07-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Report back if unsuccessful.
I'll call the hanger and talk to those guys about checking it out.
Sky 4, 10-4.

jb

or, maybe some TDE goobers here will chime in.

BlueFirePony
07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I drove it a month back just after they had the issue with T6. They had cones out to mark the affected area (basically the driving line into the turn) which made for interesting driving but it was still worth driving.
They also had T3 coned for a section that was not so hot.

It was the first (and only) time I had been on the track and frankly it drove nice except for having to deal with T3 and T6.

All in all it was fine for the dozen or so cars on the track but certainly not for W2W action.

Now from what I saw and heard from the track owners, neither repair was supposed to be too much work and they were completely planning for the race in October. If T6 and T3 were fixed I'd have no problem running out there at all.

BTW, the folks at the track were SUPER nice to me and I was just a guest of a junior member and in no way did I have MFW status or anything :P

Al Fernandez
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Dude, there is only one person with MFW status :lol:

BlueFirePony
07-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Did anyone get out to ECR yesterday for the track day? I guess they are supposed to have bikes out there today.

AI#97
07-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Did anyone get out to ECR yesterday for the track day? I guess they are supposed to have bikes out there today.

I have to run by the parts store shortly and plan on heading that way in about an hour...might be too late though.

michaelmosty
07-27-2008, 04:04 PM
From the EaglesCanyon website:

Wed, Jul 23rd, 2008
Track surface repairs and garage construction continue in preparation for fall race season...

For those of you have who have had questions concerning the track surface repairs re-asphalting will begin August 11th and all corners in question will be repaired before the end of August. Now is a good time in order to maximize the use of the high summer temperatures. The track has been patched and is safe to run on however in order to meet the standard that we require for smoothness and durability we have taken all the core samples from the existing asphalt to conclude the very best remedies to ensure a long lasting result. Weekend events will run as usual and will not be affected by the re-asphalting.

AI#97
07-28-2008, 04:26 AM
well, don't think there was a bike event on sunday...or it was cancelled. Gates closed and chained, people futzing near the main/only building...paddock is pretty dismal...sort of like hallett in the grass and dirt but with paved roads. Zero covered parking.

Had there not been people milling around on site, I would have hopped the fence and walked the track tresspassing signs or not! ;)

From a General Contractor's perspective, the site is dirty and not very well done...many things looked half-assed really and not "crisp" like a race track should be. I could be wrong though as I was at a pretty good distance but if the entrance off of 51 is any indication of the quality they have accepted to date... it's not very promising as you would probably tear the shit out of a GT3 Porsche just getting off the highway and onto the entrance lane and spill your moca late on the rough entrance. Glad I was in the truck!

MM, per your posting, I SERIOUSLY hope they aren't paving on 8/11 and running an event 5 days later per their posted schedule. Asphalt needs atleast 30 days to cure and harden, even more so in the 100 degree heat of August in TX... Starting to see the same chain of stupid decisions that got them where they are in the first place....

Oh well...

BlueFirePony
07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
well, don't think there was a bike event on sunday...or it was cancelled. Gates closed and chained, people futzing near the main/only building...paddock is pretty dismal...sort of like hallett in the grass and dirt but with paved roads. Zero covered parking.

Had there not been people milling around on site, I would have hopped the fence and walked the track tresspassing signs or not! ;)

From a General Contractor's perspective, the site is dirty and not very well done...many things looked half-assed really and not "crisp" like a race track should be. I could be wrong though as I was at a pretty good distance but if the entrance off of 51 is any indication of the quality they have accepted to date... it's not very promising as you would probably tear the shit out of a GT3 Porsche just getting off the highway and onto the entrance lane and spill your moca late on the rough entrance. Glad I was in the truck!

MM, per your posting, I SERIOUSLY hope they aren't paving on 8/11 and running an event 5 days later per their posted schedule. Asphalt needs atleast 30 days to cure and harden, even more so in the 100 degree heat of August in TX... Starting to see the same chain of stupid decisions that got them where they are in the first place....

Oh well...

The GT3's do have to be careful turning in/out of the entrance to the track, but they were the most popular car out there when I ran so they must have it figured out :)
My buddy seemed to take it in his GT3 fine.

As for paddock, there is no covered parking (ala MSR-C) and the lower parking/paddock is actually pretty small. Not sure where everyone would park at a full NASA/SCCA event - that's been something I've been wondering since I visited. I guess they are constructing the garages but that won't help us during our visit.

Guess we'll have to see if they get things ready for October or not..for sure the surface on T3/T6 would have to be repaired for us to race there...hope so. I really enjoyed the track and would love to run it all out.