PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Frustration

Rob Liebbe
07-25-2008, 08:02 AM
I need the collective intelligence of the group.

I rebuilt my World Class T-5 with Astro Performance Super Alloy 2.95 gear set and the Road Race overdrive, new clutch, adjustable cable and a Steeda TriAx shifter.

Before the third gear explosion at Hallet, 4th gear was beginning to grind a bit and was getting slowly worse. I thought this might be due to wear in the transmission and the 3rd gear failure was the culmination of that problem and the rebuild would solve it.

After the rebuild, 4th gear still grinds going into gear no matter how much I adjust the cable, it's always the same. 4th will engage smoothly if I granny-shift it in, but quick shifts result in a grind and eventual engagement.

I took the transmission back down last night and corrected a slight syncro "tab" issue, but it did not solve the problem. I'm beginning to think that the 3-4 shift fork is bent.

I need help diagnosing this please. Time is running short and I will only have Tues, Wed, Thur, and Friday to correct it.

I will be driving to Ft. Worth this afternoon and would appreciate anybody's input.

My cell is 281-413-1948, Call me and then I will call you back so that I pay the long distance.

BryanL
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Rob-you did replace the synchros didn't you?

BlueFirePony
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
OK, long shot here and I know this sounds like more of an internals/engagement issue but have you tried applying shims to the front of the triax? I had terrible problems with 4th, 5th and Reverse until I shimmed the TriAx. I had not used that shifter before the S197 but in researching my issue I came across loads of lore about that particular shifter on different generations of Mustangs.
I actually used double washers for the first 500 miles until the shifts were smoother and then took out 1 per side and did not have any issues since.

You've already addressed the other issue I would have thought of (cable adjustment).

David Love AI27
07-27-2008, 02:13 PM
I have a T-5 in my shop that I purchased for the 10 car... it is out of a 89 T-bird. I also have a complete rebuild kit and have been looking for a manual or video to show me how to rebuild it. You are welcome to any parts you need...

David Love AI27
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I have a T-5 in my shop that I purchased for the 10 car... it is out of a 89 T-bird. I also have a complete rebuild kit and have been looking for a manual or video to show me how to rebuild it. You are welcome to any parts you need...

OR

get me a manual and I will rebuild it Tuesday and you can use it for the weekend...

BlueFirePony
07-27-2008, 08:28 PM

OR

get me a manual and I will rebuild it Tuesday and you can use it for the weekend...

David, I will email you the manual I have. I've got a rebuild workbook too but it would be a pain to scan it all.

michaelmosty
07-27-2008, 09:23 PM
David, the video from Hanlon Motorsports is great. I think Marshall has one.
I have one for the Tremec and if you go step by step it is a piece of cake.

David Love AI27
07-28-2008, 12:00 AM

worth the $40???

marshall_mosty
07-28-2008, 07:48 AM

worth the $40???

Simple answer... YES. Very much worth the money. Goes through step by step. Works great if you have a TV and VCR in the shop so you can work, pause, work, pause, etc.

Rob Liebbe
07-28-2008, 08:12 AM
David,

Thanks for the offer. I have the Hanlon video on DVD - only paid $20 + $5 shipping if I remember correctly. If I ever get my trans workling right, you're more than welcome to borrow it.

Also, be careful about the T-bird transmission. Make sure it has the capacity you will need.

BlueFire,

Thanks for the heads up on the Tri-Ax. Where did you apply the shims? The shifter is certainly on my list of culprits.

Rob Liebbe
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm going to have to fire my transmission rebuilder (me) as it appears that he (I) reinstalled the old 4th gear synchro instead of a new one. This was discovered after pulling the transmission down for the third time. Then, as he (I) was tightening up the last bolt on the last part of the bearing retainer, the threads in the case stripped. @#%#$^%$^#$@^@%@#@# ! Heli-Coil all 4 of the bearing retainer bolt holes and stab it back in. Transmission works!!!!!! Woohooooo!!!!!!

This turned out to be a lot more trouble than I had expected, but I'm glad I did it myself. If it works well on the track, I'll have a sense of pride and accomplishment. If it doesn't, I'll have the confidence to go back in.

michaelmosty
07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow!! :oops:
It is good to know you can do any of the work in the future. I'm just glad it is all working good so I don't hear any excuses this weekend!!! Wait, we need to be teaming up against those GM's, I'll let you get P2. :twisted:

Rob Liebbe
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Wow!! :oops:
I'll let you get P2. :twisted:

Dream on - I RULE at TWS!!!!!!!! CCW that is.

Wirtz
07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Watch out, I'm going to be flying. Just put a fresh coat of Zaino on it :twisted:

GlennCMC70
07-30-2008, 10:35 AM
i've got my "Daytona" package installed for this weekend.
be ready boys!
i plan on heading out 7am or so Friday. anyone wanna shoot for lunch in C/S?

AllZWay
07-30-2008, 02:05 PM
You better be ready..... baby got a new pair of shoes..... and she loves new shoes.

I probably won't get to CS until 8 or 9 pm.

BryanL
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
So what if baby is on old shoes? Where should one put their best/worst tires?

Don't know that I will be able to make it but I'm starting to prep just in case. Maybe I will learn JB's secret-'thin to win'.

Rob-I did try to make sure you replaced all the syncros. Glad you will be ready since you rule at TWS CCW.

Rob Liebbe
07-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Rob-I did try to make sure you replaced all the syncros. Glad you will be ready since you rule at TWS CCW.

Yeah, I thought I had. Doof.

michaelmosty
07-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Bryan, I would put my best tires on the left and bads on the right. Every car and driving style will be a little different for front to rear wear but I do:

Best to worst (for this track config.) - LR, LF, RF, RR
I might switch it up after a few sessions but that is where I am going to start.

Al Fernandez
07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
You guys are all mistaken...I'm gonna kick all your asses. I made some top secret Nextel Cup inspired suspension changes which are going to rock...you all might as well just start arguing about who is coming in 1st behind me!

Nick
07-30-2008, 06:08 PM
You'll have to pit after a few laps to change tires. :lol:

Alien
07-30-2008, 06:25 PM
You guys are all mistaken...I'm gonna kick all your asses. I made some top secret Nextel Cup inspired suspension changes which are going to rock...you all might as well just start arguing about who is coming in 1st behind me!
Does that mean you're gonna steal MM's wing next?

Todd Covini
07-30-2008, 10:18 PM
http://www.sonomanews.com/content/articles/2008/06/12/news/sports/doc4851d4219d354405384143.jpg

BryanL
07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the great info mosty.

Al-just make sure and fill up the car-its a long way around the track.

Al Fernandez
07-31-2008, 03:37 PM
I'll make sure its got enough gas, but I am cutting it a little close with my 10 lap limit on tires seeing as how my track record is a 1:59...