PDA

View Full Version : GoPro video camera demo clips

mitchntx
08-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Did everyone get a chance to take a look at the tiny camera rig Glenn got from Alamo Autosports via Mike Patterson?

http://goprocamera.com/
http://www.alamoautosports.com/

Here is the first installment of several demo clips of the camera

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/vids/TWS/Aug08/GoProDemo1.wmv

Quite impressive for the packaging and price point.

Alien
08-08-2008, 02:47 PM
My boss was talking to me yesterday about a pair of those cameras he ordered (before he goes on a scuba trip). Then last night, I see an article in SportsCar comparing it to others.

My boss's arrived today and that thing is tiny! I meant to check out Glenns setup at TWS but completely forgot. It was mentioned in the article about a drawback being that the mount for the rollbar had to be level, I'm guessing meaning you can't mount it on the rear downbars without using an I/O port type mount. On their website it lists a mount for 1.4" dia bar but nothing bigger. Did you'se get his mounted on the cage?

AllZWay
08-08-2008, 03:01 PM
The camera is pretty cool... Now how about getting to posting some real video from the races. :o

ShadowBolt
08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
[quote="mitchntx"]Did everyone get a chance to take a look at the tiny camera rig Glenn got from Alamo Autosports via Mike Patterson?

http://goprocamera.com/
http://www.alamoautosports.com/

Here is the first installment of several demo clips of the camera

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/vids/TWS/Aug08/GoProDemo1.wmv

Quite impressive for the packaging and price point.[/quote

Did I hear a lift going into turn seven?

JJ

michaelmosty
08-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Great video Mitch, that looks like a sweet piece of equipment. Was the camera mounted on your windshield?

mitchntx
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Jerry ... yes. Friday saw me lifting at a lot of points!

Michael ... using the suction cup mount, right on the base of the windshield.

Rsmith350
08-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Good picture! Seems to go out of focus every once in while. Sounds like a cool setup.

ShadowBolt
08-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Jerry ... yes. Friday saw me lifting at a lot of points!

Michael ... using the suction cup mount, right on the base of the windshield.

If that was Friday you were going way faster than I was! I was just screwing with ya. You know I love you that much.

I can't find the link on the Alamo site for these?

JJ

GlennCMC70
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Alamo is a new dealer for these. they just got set-up. these guys are a bunch or road race oriented guys. Mike Patterson goes a long ways back w/ them.
give them a call or email them. tell them Mike Patterson or the boys at LAW sent ya.

MikeP99Z
08-08-2008, 07:43 PM
The camera should be up on the website sometime late next week. Otherwise, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll get you in touch with Brice at Alamo.

Note: I have no financial interest in this - just providing an outlet to get a cool gadget.

Shortcutsleeping
08-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I've had a gopro for about a year from Vorshlag and have liked it okay. Seems to eat batteries quickly (2 x aaa) and the audio has a HI and LOW and the hi ends up loud crap and the low is more quiet crap. :o

I suppose if I used an editor and cleaned the audio that would help, but I have not tried that yet. I tried it in Scratcher and it kept shutting off even with fresh batteries so maybe they don't like high vibration. :shock:

I'll likely order a cam-fx or a chase for incar and to use for data-overlay and keep the gopro for putting in harms way (brake cam, suspension cam, etc).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Rc7E1pLLY (sound on LOW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlUOwU6-apk (sound on HIGH)

Costas
cars and such...

Todd Covini
08-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Mitch's test definately did something different than your sound, Costas.
I'm curious as to how they mic'd it as it sounds like an external mic. I formerly ran a powered external mic under the dash and it sounded great...I think that's what Mitch did.

Shortcutsleeping
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Well there is no input for a mic...I'm guessing he took the time to clean up the audio track with an editor of some sort.

<shrug>

Mitch?

Costas
cars and such...

mitchntx
08-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Well there is no input for a mic...I'm guessing he took the time to clean up the audio track with an editor of some sort.

<shrug>

Mitch?

Costas
cars and such...

In 1982 I began working in video and then on to multi-media production. I have access to some nifty toys.

Need to experiment some more. There has to be a way to take the edge off the clipping.

ShadowBolt
08-10-2008, 08:12 PM

<shrug>

Mitch?

Costas
cars and such...

In 1982 I began working in video and then on to multi-media production. I have access to some nifty toys.

Need to experiment some more. There has to be a way to take the edge off the clipping.

So what does it look and sound like without being "fixed up"?

JJ

mitchntx
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
The original looks and sounds like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX6SJIowDTs

I gots mad skilz

Todd Covini
08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
I always thought that tranny sounded a bit funny.
Sounds even worse when you open the hood of your machine.

mitchntx
08-10-2008, 09:39 PM

<shrug>

Mitch?

Costas
cars and such...

Seriously ... the audio has a lot to be desired. Out of the box, what the Witch Doctor posted was pretty close to what was recorded.

Todd Covini
08-10-2008, 10:15 PM
What it lacks in sound it sure makes up for in video. For the money, it would be worthwhile to just dub in music. Still looks like an awesome camera (or is that spelled "camaro"?)

mitchntx
08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
What it lacks in sound it sure makes up for in video. For the money, it would be worthwhile to just dub in music. Still looks like an awesome camera (or is that spelled "camaro"?)

Or put a cheap camcorder in the car that records decent audio. Then over dub .... 8)

Todd Covini
08-10-2008, 10:20 PM
The light just went on.
:idea: :idea: :idea:

MikeP99Z
08-10-2008, 11:13 PM
lmao

AI#97
08-11-2008, 09:14 AM

Or put a cheap camcorder in the car that records decent audio. Then over dub .... 8)

I agree, great video...does it have the ability to do vid in/out or audio in/out?

I would love to have a back up to the camera I bought but might just buy a second one. I think amazon had them for $149 not too long ago...

GlennCMC70
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
please consider the value in being able to check these things out and see how well they work w/out you having to purchase one first. w/ the guys at Alamo giving up one of these for us to do that, the risk of "buy it and see how well it works" has been reduced. please consider them for the purchase of these cameras. myself and Mitch have already talked about buying a couple more of these from them.

mitchntx
08-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I think amazon had them for $149 not too long ago...

I saw that too ... Then I realized it came with a velcro wrist mount and nothing else.

The case and all the mount options are worth more than the camera! 8)

AI#97
08-11-2008, 11:31 AM
I think amazon had them for $149 not too long ago...

I saw that too ... Then I realized it came with a velcro wrist mount and nothing else.

The case and all the mount options are worth more than the camera! 8)

I meant the SD based Panasonic that I bought back in March for $199...not the goPro... Mine doesn't quite have the vid quality of the goPro, but the audio and software are pretty good overall.

I would like to have a couple more cameras for suspension shots and rear views too for NATS but funding is dedicated elsewhere right now!

gt40
08-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I just grabbed the motorsport version off eBay for $150, shipped. :D

I wish I had it last weekend, I could have had video of me and three other instructors running a 2:20 lap at TWS in the Touareg.

rpoz27
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
I just grabbed the motorsport version off eBay for $150, shipped. :D

I wish I had it last weekend, I could have had video of me and three other instructors running a 2:20 lap at TWS in the Touareg.

That was damn funny! Wish I'd had my camera charged, so at the least y'all could have shot handheld footage. Would have been great to have evidence of the passenger weight transfer technique you were using to assist the Touareg. Still trying to get the video that corner 13 has.

gt40
08-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Still trying to get the video that corner 13 has.That would be most awesome!

Maybe I shoul lobby NASA to start the Tow Rig Challenge. Anything with a manufacturer's tow rating above 6000# is legal.

GlennCMC70
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
i already asked them to form HD/Super Duty Challenge. still waiting.