PDA

View Full Version : Overheating... upper radiator hose is cold

marshall_mosty
05-07-2006, 07:41 PM
I've got the car back together and running, but it will idle for approx 5 minutes and the water temp will skyrocket to 250 in no time flat. With the cap off the radiator it will push out all the water in under a minute after the water hits 150F.

I assuming that since the upper hose is cold that the thermostat is just not opening and I'm boiling the water in the heads and pushing is backwards through the lower hose into the radiator.

I'm going to pull the T-stat (currently 180 degree) and try without and see where I get.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Otherwise... it runs.

mitchntx
05-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Sounds like an air pocket ...

BSharp
05-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Either;
1: bleed the air by disconnecting the EGR cooling hose until coolant comes out. Or
2: Drill a 1/8 hole in the thermostat so air can bleed through or prop the stat open with a peice of paper matchstick, it will disolve once the stat opens.

GlennCMC70
05-07-2006, 10:15 PM
does no good to try and get the water to the temp the stat opens (180) w/ the cap off. the cap holds pressure on the system that in turn raises the boiling temp of the water. you need to run the car till the temp starts to jump up (or till you chicken out) then shut it off and walk away for 30 minutes. this will give it time to allow the heat to conduct (right word?) to the thermostat and allow it to open. air will not conduct the heat to the stat. once the stat opens, it will allow some air to move around and to the rad. once the you do this once or twice, you should have all the air out.
also, like the other guys said, having a place you can open up that is high to allow the trapped ait to escape from is good too.

also, not sure where the stat is on a ford, but if you remove the housing for it, can you top off the motor from that place then re-install the stat and housing? this will aid in removing the air.

marshall_mosty
05-07-2006, 10:16 PM
I confirmed that the T-stat opens, so I guess I'll try the 1/8" hole trick. There is NO bypass hole in the T-stat now, so hopefully it is an air pocket. I was thinking the same thing, but didn't know how to remedy the problem.

donovan
05-08-2006, 06:23 AM
did you just change heads?

if so, did you get the head gasket on with correctly... there is a front and back... if you get it on the wrong way it will do that...

ask me how I know...

donovan

marshall_mosty
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
ask me how I know...
donovan

I won't ask...

I'm 99% sure they are on right. I was aware of the "front" stamped on the head gasket.

I'm going to gut the T-stat tonight and put it all back together. Wost case, I pull it down again.

donovan
05-08-2006, 12:21 PM
also check and see if the Radiator cap is working, low presure will overheat as well.

donovan

marshall_mosty
05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
David,
I was running the engine without the cap to get the bubbles out. I'm running a regular 16 lb pressure release. I'm planning on going to the 20-lb Volvo non-pressure release style once I get this resolved.

I would think that the car could get to 200F with the cap off before I got into trouble.

AI#97
05-08-2006, 02:15 PM
David,
I was running the engine without the cap to get the bubbles out. I'm running a regular 16 lb pressure release. I'm planning on going to the 20-lb Volvo non-pressure release style once I get this resolved.

I would think that the car could get to 200F with the cap off before I got into trouble.

with the cap off, there is ZERO pressure to move the air bubble....leave the cap on and drive the car around the block and back....then burp it if you can.....or just fill the radiator. On my car, it took 3 full race weekends to get all the air out on the NON-STOCK setup...made me think I had a bad head gasket but there was almost a 1/2 gallon of air in the system that finally got squeezed out!

GlennCMC70
05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
w/ the cap on, the rad will trap the air in the upper half. water being drawn into the motor is pulled from the LOWER hose, no air should be there. i know you realize its not a simple as putting a hose in it and fill the rad to the top and off you go.
i see no reason to gut the therm as if that fixes your problem you will have to un-gut it and get the system cleared of air w/ it. duplication of effort here.

hope you get it fixed .

BSharp
05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Do you have the EGR spacer cooler lines on the car still? Is is the highest part of the system. Just take one off untill solid coolant comes out. Or do the paper match trick, worked every time for me.

marshall_mosty
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Problem solved!!!!

I took out the stock T-stat and took it apart so I basically ended up with the "shell" as a restrictor. I filled the car up through the T-stat housing, which is basically the highest part on my motor.

Ran the car for approx 20 minutes and got it to 205 without the fan, turned the fan on and it went down to 170... life is good...

CMC17
05-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Great news, Marshall!!!!

Overheating is the least of CMC17's worries... no motor in the car as I write this. ugh!!! :shock:

AI#97
05-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Great news, Marshall!!!!

Overheating is the least of CMC17's worries... no motor in the car as I write this. ugh!!! :shock:

Don't know if you checked the CMC rules lately Shumy but you can't modify the floor boards to allow the feet through to Flintstone the car!!!! :wink:

My junk is race ready now. Going to give it a quick bath next weekend and then load it up ready to go!

David Love AI27
05-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Great news, Marshall!!!!

Remember my offer.... Still unemployed and looking for things to do with my extra time.... HOWEVER... I do have A/C in house now and finnaly have temps under 90... will sleep like a baby tonight...

CMC17
05-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Great news, Marshall!!!!

Remember my offer.... Still unemployed and looking for things to do with my extra time.... HOWEVER... I do have A/C in house now and finnaly have temps under 90... will sleep like a baby tonight...

Thx, David! I'm waiting on parts from the machine shop and counting each day as it passes. :shock:

I will keep ya posted. 8)