PDA

View Full Version : Secret's revealed - AI 91's new aero

oz98cobra
05-12-2006, 01:14 PM
You other AI guys are going to find it tough to beat AI91 at the next race - Chris and Richard have been conducting secret tests and were trying out some new aero at MSR-H recently!

Chris came up with a rather unorthodox way of adjusting the rear wing and modifying the front air dam :)

It must have worked pretty good though as the car looked very fast the next day!

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/2769-1/AI91-new+aero+1.JPG

oz98cobra
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
They went to great lengths to try to keep their methods secret - Chris made all the aero adjustments on a remote part of the circuit away from the pits - but our spy camera's telephoto lens caught them in the act.

As you can see, the technique involves using pipe and wire :idea:

I spoke to Chris after he made the adjustments - he said he doesn't recommend it to anyone else - it is quick and effective, but their are way less expensive ways of adjusting the aero ;)

http://www.aicmctexas.com/gallery/d/2766-1/AI91-fence+1.JPG

Thanks to Chris and Richard for being good sports and letting me post these pics :)

AI#97
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Brake failure going into the finish line hairpin?

Hope Chris is OK. Looks like just a pride injury....

cjlmlml
05-12-2006, 01:36 PM
sorry to see that guys. great captions though

donovan
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
CM & RP, let us know if you need anything or any help...

Hope to see you next weekend!

David D.

gt40
05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
They went to great lengths to try to keep their methods secret - Chris made all the aero adjustments on a remote part of the circuit away from the pits - but our spy camera's telephoto lens caught them in the act.Maybe I should have re-thought letting Chris drive my car in march! :wink:

naah... What a little bent sheetmetal among friends?

Todd Covini
05-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Sheesh! He must have had to use that porta-potty pretty bad to bring it in like that!!! Next time a l little softer landing and more reverse thrust might help. Whatcha think, there, fellow aviator Corey??? :lol:

-=- T

NASA13
05-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Sheesh! He must have had to use that porta-potty pretty bad to bring it in like that!!! Next time a l little softer landing and more reverse thrust might help. Whatcha think, there, fellow aviator Corey??? :lol:

-=- T

oh yes, turf landings can be quite tricky in high performance machines. I recommend steeper approach with more flaps and less speed.
I have had a few porta potty moments like that in aircraft as well. I completely understand!

oz98cobra
05-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Chris, the car, and the passenger who had the ride of his life are all fine. I'll let Chris tell the story if he wants to? I was just having some fun with the pics :)

Mike Bell
05-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Sorry to see the mishap damage RP, hope the fix is quick and cheap. See you in a week!

cmarvel
05-17-2006, 04:37 PM
I wish the story was as good as the picture and the captions!

Basically there was a convergence of issues that caused this. In the end, I just ran out of road and brains at the same time.

We had DAQ in the car and you can actually see the car hit the fence and spring back! I was going about 80 when it went bad, and about 60 when I went off. I hit the fence at about 22. I love DAQ! Actually the damage was too not bad, and we (OK mostly Richard) got the car back to running condition for testing on Sunday without the aero stuff.

It taught us some interesting things about the effects of the wings on sector times :wink:

BTW, the fence cost $600 to repair. Ask me how I know :(

It just goes to show we are all quite capable of it! The hardest part was gettign back into the car on Sunday and running hard. The fasest lap of the weekend came on Lap 2 in the first session Sunday morning.

It wouldn't be quite so bad, but I remember when te car was new and Richard would bring it out to an Autocross in concourse condition.

The Beast should be in top condition for this weekend due to Richard's tireless efforts. I am looking forward to seeing John's new car and taking another crack at Mr. White.

donovan
05-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Glad to hear you are alright and the car will be on track this weekend.

donovan

chicane23
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Glad all is well and the car is back in shape for this weekend.

My car will be there, just not sure sure condition it will be in.

See you all on Friday night.