PDA

View Full Version : Miller in 2009?

AI#97
11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
I know it's a long way out but who is planning on going to the 2009 National Championships?

I know a few have "talked" about it, but the reality of the event is starting to pose a few interesting questions we might benefit from discussing as a group. Mainly, how to deal with Density Altitudes of 8000'... Some for the car and others for the Driver and his stamina.

Anyway, starting to plan and budget now since I have an open can of whoop ass I never fully used this year! :twisted:

BlueFirePony
11-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I know it's a long way out but who is planning on going to the 2009 National Championships?

I know a few have "talked" about it, but the reality of the event is starting to pose a few interesting questions we might benefit from discussing as a group. Mainly, how to deal with Density Altitudes of 8000'... Some for the car and others for the Driver and his stamina.

Anyway, starting to plan and budget now since I have an open can of whoop ass I never fully used this year! :twisted:

I'd love to go just for the experience. If I can get my car lightened up (under 3000lbs) and find the time to get the ponies up (at least above 320), then maybe my poor N/A Mustang won't just be getting in the way there.

I've done some high alt stuff and a few things to consider:
- Hydrate well before and during travel to altitude...very important.
- Get there a day (or even better two days) ahead and just aclimate. This will pay dividends both during and after the trip.
- this one sux I know...but moderate the alcohol and caffeine intake...alcholol has a stronger impact at high elev, and diuretics are more potent at higher elev. At higher elevations diuretics can lower blood pressure quite a bit. Despite the recent push to the contrary by energy drink companies, studies do show that caffeine does have a diuretic effect - which at low elevations is usually not a big deal to people in good health...go up 8000ft and thats a different story.

AI#97
11-14-2008, 10:49 PM

I'd love to go just for the experience. If I can get my car lightened up (under 3000lbs) and find the time to get the ponies up (at least above 320), then maybe my poor N/A Mustang won't just be getting in the way there.

I've done some high alt stuff and a few things to consider:
- Hydrate well before and during travel to altitude...very important.
- Get there a day (or even better two days) ahead and just aclimate. This will pay dividends both during and after the trip.
- this one sux I know...but moderate the alcohol and caffeine intake...alcholol has a stronger impact at high elev, and diuretics are more potent at higher elev. At higher elevations diuretics can lower blood pressure quite a bit. Despite the recent push to the contrary by energy drink companies, studies do show that caffeine does have a diuretic effect - which at low elevations is usually not a big deal to people in good health...go up 8000ft and thats a different story.

The Miller track is actually at 4400'....the Air density and motor performance is the issue I am concerned with...well, that and the ineffectiveness of Aero bits! ;)

And I think I had less than 12 beers the entire 5 days while at Mid Ohio this year and 6 or 7 were on Wednesday night!

BlueFirePony
11-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Ahh, then under 5000' superb athletes such as ourselves should have no problems ...beer anyone?? :)
As for the motor...man, I am open to suggestions!

Fbody383
11-17-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm one of those thinking about it. Since getting the car there seems to be the real challenge, been thinking about how to get several folks in on a transport deal, i.e. hauling service, rent something, buy something to sell after the race, etc.

What's it cost per car to put 6-8 cars on an open hauler and have a couple suburbans/crew cabs with drivers and gear chase?

rpoz27
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Quote we got from a hauler to go to Hallett was $800 per car! :shock: Needless to say, we passed on the deal.

AI#97
11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Quote we got from a hauler to go to Hallett was $800 per car! :shock: Needless to say, we passed on the deal.

yeah, my fuel bill for the truck to and from M.O. averaging about 4.00/gallon was right at $800. I was amazingly getting 12mpg. the killer was gas at the track at $7.80 per gallon.

I really don't even want to see how far it is to Toole yet in fear I will give up too early. Great thing is gas should be CHEAP compared to this year! :oops: Just wish race gas would come back down to 4.50 or 5.50/gal... :cry:

ShadowBolt
11-17-2008, 02:47 PM

yeah, my fuel bill for the truck to and from M.O. averaging about 4.00/gallon was right at $800. I was amazingly getting 12mpg. the killer was gas at the track at $7.80 per gallon.

I really don't even want to see how far it is to Toole yet in fear I will give up too early. Great thing is gas should be CHEAP compared to this year! :oops: Just wish race gas would come back down to 4.50 or 5.50/gal... :cry:

100LL is still around $4.00 per gal. It should be around $1.00 higher than car gas. I saw it in Taylor for $1.64 today!

JJ

Adam Ginsberg
11-17-2008, 09:45 PM

<raises hand>

If all goes well, I'll be race directing the CMC/FFR/??? run group again. I'm planning to race @ MMP in April. 12 hour tow from SoCal.

GlennCMC70
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
i'm planning. i wanna be the first to return to defend the CMC title.

ledfoot2
11-17-2008, 10:29 PM
I plan on going. The car is pretty sorted out, and the wife is more excited about that drive.

Al Fernandez
11-18-2008, 02:07 AM
I'm going to go out of my way to be there this time...but without a car. The issue with me has been work trip schedules so far, but now I'll be budget constrained to boot :?

Fbody383
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
but now I'll be budget constrained to boot :? What? Are oil prices down? How much does a hood cost?

Does anybody have access to a semi tractor or something that would haul 4,5,6 or more cars? Has to be some economies of scale moving a bunch of cars together.

AllZWay
11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
As usual...unless I strike it rich before then.. I don't think my budget would allow it.

gt40
11-18-2008, 06:06 PM
<raises hand>

If all goes well, I'll be race directing the CMC/FFR/??? run group again. I'm planning to race @ MMP in April. 12 hour tow from SoCal.Like Adam, I'm planning on being there in an official capacity. Someone has to keep an eye on you guys! ;)