PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

michaelmosty
11-25-2008, 10:02 AM
I know nothing about trailer tires and am looking to get a new set of tires. Do ya'll have any recommendations of specific brands to get, locations to buy them, and estimated price?

The set that came on the trailer has lasted right at three years. The tires still have tread left but they are getting some pretty bad wear patterns on the outside. The tires say max pressure of 50 lbs.
I started running them at 45 lbs. then noticed the bad wear and have been running them around 52 lbs. since then. Do you think I have cheap tires on there or have I been messing up the pressures?
Thanks!!

Adam Ginsberg
11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Michael - last year, I bought a set of trailer tires (D rated) from Southwest Wheel (http://www.southwestwheel.com) off the John Carpenter Fwy in Dallas. They also have the trailerpart.com website.

IIRC, I paid ~$30 per tire (maybe a bit more). IMO, they're well worth it.

FWIW, I've noticed some bad wear on my tires recently as well, but, IMO, I think a good deal of that has to do with the suspension, well, lack thereof. I run them whatever pressure is recommended on the sidewall.

In my case, the inner tread of the is worn. Either the bearings are worn, allowing the rim/tire to get some negative camber, or the axles are cambered from years of use.

jeffburch
11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Goodyear Marathon trailer service.
Get the biggest tire that'll fit the rim and not rub anywhere.
D or E load rating.
Keep them at recommended pressure.
I got mine from SW Wheel aswell and they were under $100ea.
<======
<====== here they are in action.

jb

BryanL
11-25-2008, 08:51 PM
I got some chinese made trailer tires at Firestone for 50 bucks each. They worked perfect all season on my enclosed. I called my contact at Firestone and unfortunately he has left. When I bought them I was worried they wouldn't hold up to the weight but he said he sold them to lots of construction guys in FW that haul heavy equipment with no problems. Over t-giving I will look to see what the brand is.

michaelmosty
12-01-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info. guys!!