PDA

View Full Version : Houston Dyno Cert

Rob Liebbe
11-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Any thoughts?

I thought the place we went last year, Village Automotive on Kukendahl, was good, except parking sucked. That's where I will go if there is no official day planned.

Let's start hearing suggestions - time will run out quickly.

Todd Covini
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Too early...there's still pleeeenty of time
I say we try this new place on Dowlen Rd in Beaumont. :wink:

Alien
12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm in for wherever, parking wasn't too bad last time. :lol:

I think I should be ready by mid January.

Rob Liebbe
12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Let's talk about dates.

I'm available the weekends of January 10/11 and 24/25.

I also stopped at a new place, Fastlane - man do they have some serious cars in there like twin turdo Ford GT's and super pumped up 2007 Shelby Mustangs. They were kind of expensive at $75. I think we paid $50 at Village Auto last year.

Alien
12-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Let's talk about dates.

I have no life, should be free any weekend. I say the 10/11 simply to leave time for unexpected happenings. The 24/25 means the first event is the very next weekend.

Fbody383
12-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I guess I should do one of those dyno things too. I'll try to make whatever you guys come up with.

Sure you don't want to come south of I10?

Rob Liebbe
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
We'll send Al Fernandez south of I-10 any time you want so long as your dyno of choice is proper.

You're welcome Al :twisted:

Fbody383
12-02-2008, 02:55 PM
We'll send Al Fernandez south of I-10 any time you want...

He wants to be the first, ok the second, to see the new car anyway.

Hey Pederson, where do you prefer to haul the car from Friendswood?

AI#97
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I also stopped at a new place, Fastlane - man do they have some serious cars in there like twin turdo Ford GT's and super pumped up 2007 Shelby Mustangs. They were kind of expensive at $75. I think we paid $50 at Village Auto last year.

the Owner of that shop and his partner were at the SVTOA event at TWS in April and was my student. VERY powerful cars for sure! The TT 05 Saleen was insane and I got to drive his personal GT500...160 on the straight was effortless at over 4000lbs!!! :shock: Saleen was even faster but was a customer car so he took it easy! :cry:

jeremiahkellam
12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
the 10/11 would be good with me

Todd Covini
12-02-2008, 11:17 PM
...how about Beaumont?

RichardP
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
...how about Beaumont?

Since there is no one in Beaumont that needs a dyno, why would we go there???

Richard P.

ShadowBolt
12-03-2008, 08:13 AM
...how about Beaumont?

Since there is no one in Beaumont that needs a dyno, why would we go there???

Richard P.

Nothing but net.

JJ

Al Fernandez
12-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm in, any weekend in Jan. North of the 10 and west of the 45 is good for me :lol: Besides, I have Todd's car so he has to come up here anyway.

ledfoot2
12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
What are the specific requirements on the dyno? I believe a shop here in Corpus has a DynoJet. Not having to drag the car to Houston or San Antonio would be great for me.

Al Fernandez
12-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Just have to follow the dyno sheet instructions for CMC cars...a little less formal for AI

AI#97
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Just have to follow the dyno sheet instructions for CMC cars...a little less formal for AI

Same sheet but we don't average the numbers. It's the absolute high for both and doesn't have to be the same run.

Thought you were selling that car Raymon?

ledfoot2
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
You want to buy it Matt? You can get rid of those pesky overhead cams.

I am only going to sell it if I can get what I want out of it. If not, I will just keep it and outrun all the Mustangs next year.

silversvo
12-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Let's talk about dates.

My buddy owns Fastlane and yes there are some seriously fast cars there. I will call Nick there and see if he can do it for $50. Would have to know how many cars are going to be attending...

AI#97
12-05-2008, 11:50 PM
If not, I will just keep it and outrun all the Mustangs next year.

there you go dreaming again!

As far as the OHC motors go....seems like there are more OHC motors in AI in Texas than there are pushrods....and they run at the front too and all 4 are getting faster too! ;)

ledfoot2
12-06-2008, 01:52 PM
If not, I will just keep it and outrun all the Mustangs next year.

there you go dreaming again!

As far as the OHC motors go....seems like there are more OHC motors in AI in Texas than there are pushrods....and they run at the front too and all 4 are getting faster too! ;)

I have built my motor with some high tech mechanisms that will shoot out a pushrod to wedge into an OHC if one gets too close.....beware....

Rob Liebbe
12-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I talked to Village Automotive again. The dyno is up and running, but the shop is now normally closed on Saturdays. One of the technicians is willing to open up for us, but his wife works some Saturdays and he won't know if he can do it on Saturday the 10th until Monday the 5th. So, I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling just yet.

Didn't someone say they had a connection with Fastlane? Maybe we should look into that as an alternative.

Alien
12-29-2008, 04:07 PM
My buddy owns Fastlane and yes there are some seriously fast cars there. I will call Nick there and see if he can do it for $50. Would have to know how many cars are going to be attending...
Please do :)

I'll be bringing 2 cars.

silversvo
12-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I have a connection with Fastlane and I will call Nick tomarrow as I have to talk to him anyways as I just found out that an acquaintance of ours was killed a few years back. I need to know how many cars are willing to show up so he canhave an idea what he is looking into and the cost...

Rob,
What did Villaige Auto charge last year?

David Love AI27
12-30-2008, 08:33 AM
2 cars here...

Rob Liebbe
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Village charged about $50 for three pulls. That seems to have been the norm for the last few years at the various shops we've been to. I talked to Nick at Fastlane a couple fo weeks ago, he quoted me $75.

Fbody383
12-30-2008, 02:43 PM
I need to know how many cars are willing to show up so he canhave an idea what he is looking into and the cost...

I would bring one car.

Rob Liebbe
12-30-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm still workin' on the Houston Dyno Day. A new contact, Kevan Midkiff, works at Universal Technical Institute (UTI) at I-45 just north of Beltway 8 North (Greenspoint area). They have a Dynojet 240AC (? on the exact model #) installed in ground. I think he said they actually have two. Typically they will do dyno days for a $25 donation for three pulls. He is going to check with his boss and let me know by tomorrow afternoon. UTI also has plenty of parking and even has car shows on some Saturdays. I'm still shooting for Jan 10 and will keep you posted.

GlennCMC70
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
only 2 modles are allowed - the 248C and the 224C. the only difference is the max HP they will read and the drum size.

GlennCMC70
12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
also - the use of "240xx" reminds me of the IM240 emissions test. being that its a auto training school, my bet is that its an IM240 emissions test rig.

donovan
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
They have a Dynojet 240AC

I would bet that the Dynojet 240AC was lost in translation.... 248C...
Being that he called it a Dynojet... its problably not a I/M240...

DD

AI#97
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
They have a Dynojet 240AC

I would bet that the Dynojet 240AC was lost in translation.... 248C...
Being that he called it a Dynojet... its problably not a I/M240...

DD

I think DD hit it on the head... IM240 machines didn't measure HP and were not loaded which was crap really...

Rob Liebbe
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
only 2 modles are allowed - the 248C and the 224C. the only difference is the max HP they will read and the drum size.

I must have missed that only the two models were allowed. In fact, that's what I remembered from last year, but then only found this on the 2009 CMC Dyno Sheet - page 2

"CMC Dynamometer Inspection Procedures
1. Only dyno runs on DynoJet brand dynamometers are acceptable2. All dyno readings must be corrected to SAE J1349 Rev JUN90 (29.23 in/hg, 77F,"

With the bold actually shown in red on the 2009 CMC Dyno Sheet. Doesn't the red indicate a rule change? That's the way I interpreted it, and read it as allowing any Dynojet brand machine.

Clarify please.

GlennCMC70
12-30-2008, 10:56 PM
there are only 2 modles that are single drum. the others are 4 wheel dynos and motorcycle dynos. so in a way, you are correct.

Rob Liebbe
12-31-2008, 09:42 AM
I described that we needed hp and torque, UTI said yep, that's no problem. I'll get better detail later today.

David Love AI27
12-31-2008, 10:30 AM
where ever we go I need to do this before the 17th or I will start the season in AIX, again... I didn't get the "new" motor in and we won't be competitive in AI but I wanna help you guys with Toyo bucks...

Is ANYONE running AIX??? I registered for Hoosier contingency but don't want to buy their tires if no one else is gonna showup...

Head count for MSRH???.. I know it is not a favorite of many...

silversvo
01-02-2009, 11:09 PM
okay heres the scoop I got so far...

PSI Motorsports - $40 a car, three pulls with a dyno sheet...
Located on hwy3 and Nasa Rd1 (South Houston)

Bavarion Hyper Sports - $500 for half a day of dyno tuning...
Located right off FM1960 and Mills road area (near Burlington Coat Factory)

FastLane - waiting on an email from Nick, but the guy told me over the phone that it was $100 a car or $1500 for the entire day... :shock:
Located on the corner of Windfern and FM1960

I have one more place I am working on getting a quote from also.

Rob Liebbe
01-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm still working on this with Troy as well. My latest status is:

Village Automotive - Kuykendahl Road, Spring/Woodlands - will talk to them on Monday to see if they are available this Saturday

Universal Technical Institute - trading voice mails with my contact.

My thought is that we should pick one of mine or Troy's locations on Monday and have dyno day on Saturday the 10th.

We'll keep you posted.

silversvo
01-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I just talked to another friend that opened his own shop and he said he would be happy to do the dyno day for us. He said we can rent the dyno on the 10th all day long for $450-500 depending on the number of cars. I told him about 8 cars.

The shop name is LateModel RaceCraft www.latemodelracecraft.com
Located at 6925 Cunningham Ste 2301. This is off West Little York and Bittmore on the Northwest side of town.

I think this is the best deal so far as we can rent it all day for this price. and for you guys that have f-body cars, this would be a good shop to have tune your cars as he specializes in mostly the Camaros and Pontiacs...

Rob,

I told him that you would be contacting him in regards to this if we were to use his Dyno. The Dynojet Dyno he has is a 248X single drum up to 1500HP.

Rob Liebbe
01-03-2009, 10:42 PM
The problem with an all-day rental is that we are there for only a couple of hours. $450 or $500 divided by 8 is about $60 each. That is if everyone shows. Per car cost is usually better.

I will gather the rest of my info tomorrow and then we can make a decision.

silversvo
01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
I will call and see if my buddy at LMR will do it for $40 a car and see what he says. I figure if we have it all day, we could fine tune the cars and get the most HP/TQ out of it.

David Love AI27
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
I will call and see if my buddy at LMR will do it for $40 a car and see what he says. I figure if we have it all day, we could fine tune the cars and get the most HP/TQ out of it.

I like the idea of all day to "play"... how long can a director be there...

Ask them what they will charge me for all day... I will pay up front and collect from those who show...

michaelmosty
01-04-2009, 02:42 AM
David, no director is technically needed for the dyno pulls.
As long as you get 3 back to back to back runs with your final adjustments you should be set to go. Be sure to get the operator to sign your forms and you will be alright.

silversvo
01-04-2009, 06:27 AM
I am trying to get someone to pick my car up on the dyno day. I will be in Shreveport on the 10th. I am going to have my car tuned to max hp/tq.

David,

Call me tomarrow when you read this.

ShadowBolt
01-05-2009, 03:18 PM
I am trying to get someone to pick my car up on the dyno day. I will be in Shreveport on the 10th. I am going to have my car tuned to max hp/tq.

David,

Computer tuned for CMC?

JJ

mitchntx
01-05-2009, 03:51 PM

David,

Computer tuned for CMC?

JJ

Jerry ... when are you gonna learn, brother?

This is the kind of question you ask after he wins his first race. :P

Rob Liebbe
01-05-2009, 04:22 PM
My two dynos will not be available for this Saturday.

Troy, what's your latest with LMR?

I also called Houston Performance, and he is considering it but didn't seem too enthusiastic.

ShadowBolt
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM

David,

Computer tuned for CMC?

JJ

Jerry ... when are you gonna learn, brother?

This is the kind of question you ask after he wins his first race. :P

Your right, my bad.

JJ

AI#97
01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
I also called Houston Performance, and he is considering it but didn't seem too enthusiastic.

Is Steve enthusiastic about ANYTHING?!!

LOL!!!

jeffburch
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
What a GF!
Just shows me what a heads up guy Jim Pantas is.
Entrepreneur who owns the SE region of NASA.
He sees the need and goes out and gets a dyno.
It's at every SE event.
Wow.
jb

Also, may need to do some hood sealing and post event dynoing huh?

Rob Liebbe
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Is Steve enthusiastic about ANYTHING?!!

LOL!!!

You're right, not that I've ever seen.

AI#97
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
What a GF!
Just shows me what a heads up guy Jim Pantas is.
Entrepreneur who owns the SE region of NASA.
He sees the need and goes out and gets a dyno.
It's at every SE event.
Wow.
jb

Also, may need to do some hood sealing and post event dynoing huh?

I have heard good things about Pantas....he puts on a hell of a show!

David Love AI27
01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
David, no director is technically needed for the dyno pulls.
As long as you get 3 back to back to back runs with your final adjustments you should be set to go. Be sure to get the operator to sign your forms and you will be alright.

I can go anytime??? without a witness??? One of these days I'm gonna read the frickin' rules...

Jeremy Gunter
01-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I don't know that I will need it, and I know I ain't makin CMC2 numbers, but is there a dyno at or near MSR-H? I may need to get my pulls on Friday before the event...

Any Suggestions?

AI#97
01-06-2009, 12:47 AM
I don't know that I will need it, and I know I ain't makin CMC2 numbers, but is there a dyno at or near MSR-H? I may need to get my pulls on Friday before the event...

Any Suggestions?

There are 6 dynos in the DFW area...and Dallas Mustang is not that far from the shop...and I have a buddy there. we can get you dyno'd....just won't be at HPP! ;)

silversvo
01-06-2009, 05:52 AM

David,

Computer tuned for CMC?

JJ

Kind of hard to tune a computer when David and I are both carbed... I know I dont have a computer in my car to tune, David, do you have one in your car ? :lol:

Rob Liebbe
01-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I think we have a plan.

Troy's contact at www.latemodelracecraft.com said they will rent us the dyno this Saturday the 10th from 10 to 4 for a total of $400. The shop is located near Beltway 8 and 290. They will have one dyno tech there and we would need to help with strap downs.

My list of attendees is as follows -

Al Fernandez - 1 car
Gary Roberts - 2 cars
Fbody383 - 1 car
Rob Liebbe - 1 car
David Love - 2 cars with some tuning time

Jeremiah - 1 car ?
Troy Reynolds 1 car - ?

Please let me know asap if you can make this, if the car count is right, and if you are going to do some tuning beyond one or two extra runs. I would suggest that the heavy tuners run after the normal certs, depending on when everyone shows up.

David Love, please call me at 281-413-1948. In fact, all are welcome to call me with any questions.

Fbody383
01-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I think we have a plan.
Fbody383 - 1 car

Check.

Saweet! What do I need to bring besides the car and cash?

Copies of dyno form? Director bribe?

Alien
01-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I think we have a plan.
Gary Robertson - 2 cars

I'm just waiting on my injectors to come in (shipped yesterday), so unless they get lost by UPS, I don't see any reason I won't be there. Only tuning I plan on is if the timing is 10* off like last time :shock:

In the spirit of Todd's Focus, I'm also bringing Laura's new Sky Redline to get some real-world numbers before any tinkering goes on. :twisted:

David Love AI27
01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Kind of hard to tune a computer when David and I are both carbed... I know I dont have a computer in my car to tune, David, do you have one in your car ? :lol:

I was gonna mess with the power valve in carb and weight springs in dist... Oh and a very large ball peen... just because...

Al Fernandez
01-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Someone helped me remember that the NASA Tx officials meeting this saturday starts at 10am. I thought it was in the evening. I will therefore not be able to hang out with you guys. Sorry.

silversvo
01-07-2009, 04:21 AM
I think we have a plan.

Troy's contact at www.latemodelracecraft.com said they will rent us the dyno this Saturday the 10th from 10 to 4 for a total of $400. The shop is located near Beltway 8 and 290. They will have one dyno tech there and we would need to help with strap downs.

Al Fernandez - 1 car
Gary Roberts - 2 cars
Fbody383 - 1 car
Rob Liebbe - 1 car

Jeremiah - 1 car ?
Troy Reynolds 1 car - ?

Please let me know asap if you can make this, if the car count is right, and if you are going to do some tuning beyond one or two extra runs. I would suggest that the heavy tuners run after the normal certs, depending on when everyone shows up.

David Love, please call me at 281-413-1948. In fact, all are welcome to call me with any questions.

From the looks of it, I am not going to make it unless I can get someone to pick my car up for me and take it there. I just found out that I am looking at spending another 30+ days or so on this job as they want to side track the entire well. Basically we are starting over... :roll:

David Love AI27
01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I think we have a plan.

Al Fernandez - 1 car
Gary Roberts - 2 cars
Fbody383 - 1 car
Rob Liebbe - 1 car

Jeremiah - 1 car ?
Troy Reynolds 1 car - ?

From the looks of it, I am not going to make it unless I can get someone to pick my car up for me and take it there. I just found out that I am looking at spending another 30+ days or so on this job as they want to side track the entire well. Basically we are starting over... :roll:

I'll see what I can do about getting your car... what about payment?? I'm still out of work and things are getting very tight :? ... if these guys take credit cards I can wait a couple of weeks for yours 8) ... glad I'm already registered for the race :shock:

Rob Liebbe
01-07-2009, 09:22 AM
The Latemodelracecraft website shows they take Mastercard and Visa.

Also, see their website www.latemodelracecraft.com for a map and phone numbers. I've been dealing with Steven.

My cell phone is 281-413-1948 if anyone needs to call me. See y'all Saturday morning.

silversvo
01-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Also, see their website www.latemodelracecraft.com for a map and phone numbers. I've been dealing with Steven.

My cell phone is 281-413-1948 if anyone needs to call me. See y'all Saturday morning.

Rob,
Steven is the owner of the shop. He is a really good person to deal with as I use to street race with him many years ago. Did you tell him that I referred you and the group?

Rob Liebbe
01-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I believe I mentioned both you and Josh, but I will bring up your name again Saturday.

jeremiahkellam
01-07-2009, 11:59 AM
It looks like a no go for me

Alien
01-07-2009, 01:38 PM
I will therefore not be able to hang out with you guys. Sorry.
Does that mean it's just going to be dyno runs and we will have to do annual inspection at MSR-H?

Rob Liebbe
01-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately yes. Please don't back out, or I will be stuck with a large dyno bill.

Fbody383
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Since Glenn tipped his hand that dyno stickers are apparently in short supply in the locked Announcements thread, what do the new cars need to do?

AI#97
01-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Since Glenn tipped his hand that dyno stickers are apparently in short supply in the locked Announcements thread, what do the new cars need to do?

Post it note! just use extra tape!

GlennCMC70
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM

i didnt say we were out, i was just trying to use our resources more wisely.

BryanL
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM

i didnt say we were out, i was just trying to use our resources more wisely.

Yep, things are getting tight and we have to cut costs anywhere, I understand. Speaking of costs, what are our dues going to be this year and will we ever get our CD's from Cresson?
I'm cutting costs and will be running Autozone Duralast golds on not only my rear brakes but now the fronts. Even though I will need to replace them after every race they come with a lifetime warranty. And after ECR I am pretty quick at changing pads, almost as quick as getting a bud light.
On the big plus side right now our weekends will be significantly cheaper than last summer with gas under 2 bucks.

BryanL
01-07-2009, 08:01 PM

Rob,
Steven is the owner of the shop. He is a really good person to deal with as I use to street race with him many years ago. Did you tell him that I referred you and the group?

Hmmm, that shop specializes in LS1's so you might want to make sure their dyno can read that low. Wormboy sure can make an LS1 run. His 10.5 car running in the 7's is pretty cool, too.
Sure would be nice for Nasatx to get a deal with some mobile dyno guy to show up at the first event on Friday morning and dyno cars all weekend. It would be easier for lots to pay the 30-50 bucks at the track instead of hauling the car to a shop and wasting several hours. Don't some other classes need legal dyno numbers?

silversvo
01-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Rob,

Hmmm, that shop specializes in LS1's so you might want to make sure their dyno can read that low. Wormboy sure can make an LS1 run. His 10.5 car running in the 7's is pretty cool, too.
Sure would be nice for Nasatx to get a deal with some mobile dyno guy to show up at the first event on Friday morning and dyno cars all weekend. It would be easier for lots to pay the 30-50 bucks at the track instead of hauling the car to a shop and wasting several hours. Don't some other classes need legal dyno numbers?

Bryan,
Wormboy!! I havent heard that in a long time... LOL I guess you know him as well... He was really popular with the street racing crown in 99-02 area, as that is when I got out of street racing and started racing on the track only. The last time wormboy and I talked, we were setting up a race with his 7 second car against my turbo bike. it didnt happen though.

ShadowBolt
01-08-2009, 08:34 AM
[/quote]
Sure would be nice for Nasatx to get a deal with some mobile dyno guy to show up at the first event on Friday morning and dyno cars all weekend. It would be easier for lots to pay the 30-50 bucks at the track instead of hauling the car to a shop and wasting several hours. Don't some other classes need legal dyno numbers?[/quote]

I wish this was possible. I hate taking the car to a shop and loading and unloading just for a dyno. Bryan has a good question. Do other classes not have to dyno also? If not, ow about all of us getting together and having a mobile guy come out on Friday and do all the cars at the same time? Is there a guy like that in H-Town and would we have enough cars to cover the cost

JJ

GlennCMC70
01-08-2009, 08:36 AM
most guys are going to get this out of the way prior to the friday of the first event. the main reason is thats a bad time to find out there is a problem w/ you motor.

ShadowBolt
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
most guys are going to get this out of the way prior to the friday of the first event. the main reason is thats a bad time to find out there is a problem w/ you motor.

Okay, I see.

The only thing I'm worried about is my pop-up pistons, ported heads, "full race" cam, and sneak-a-toke (I mean sneaky Pete) NOS system.

JJ

AI#97
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I wish this was possible. I hate taking the car to a shop and loading and unloading just for a dyno. Bryan has a good question. Do other classes not have to dyno also? If not, ow about all of us getting together and having a mobile guy come out on Friday and do all the cars at the same time? Is there a guy like that in H-Town and would we have enough cars to cover the cost

JJ

No mobile dynos based anywhere NEAR Texas...and they usually want 90-100 bucks per 3 run pull.

there are 8 or 10 dynos all over DFW, shouldn't be a problem to get on one before the first event. Austin and SA might be a different story but it's mostly a matter of taking the time to get there. I usually take a 1/2 day off work mid week and work with the shop to get in and get all my tuning work done at my pace.

GlennCMC70
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
No mobile dynos based anywhere NEAR Texas...and they usually want 90-100 bucks per 3 run pull.

wrong.
there is one in Grand Prarie. i have a T shirt from them i got at a Hooters Car Show just this year. they are called Texas Dyno. i'm looking for contact info.

ShadowBolt
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Here it is.

http://www.dynotex.net/

JJ

Adam Ginsberg
01-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Here it is.

http://www.dynotex.net/

JJ

Not bad....$75 for 3 pulls, with A/F. More than likely, they'd need a minimum number of cars to justify their time, but I don't see how it couldn't be done.

AI#97
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM

wrong.
there is one in Grand Prarie. i have a T shirt from them i got at a Hooters Car Show just this year. they are called Texas Dyno. i'm looking for contact info.

Ok. My data was old. Still not paying $75 when I can get it for $40 every day of the week at Gear heads and many others...

also, if waiting in line is anything like at nationals...forget it!

Al Fernandez
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
You guys are funny. :lol:

Fbody383
01-10-2009, 05:09 PM
If you're not patient, just ask me in a couple weeks.

Let me start with this...

At MSRH I will not respond to any the following:

Diesel
Vin
XXX
Baldy
Glow Plug
Power Puff
Jet Fuel
Kerosene Boy

So I load the currently unstickered (and just remembered I needed to measure for the vinyl guy and didn't, crap!) #39 CMC Camaro to go the H-Town dyno day. Since the car is way low on gas, I grab the gas can and drop in about 6 gallons.

Miles and miles later after $12 of tolls, I'm there. Props to LMR for letting me borrow stuff. Leibbe and I go to unload the car and it won't run. Re-fire and it's coughing, belching, smoking... crap, what happened? Finally get the car off the trailer and figure I put some stale petro product in the beast and she's not happy. Borrow a jug, roll to the gas station, use the borrowed funnel... no joy. Same-same only worse... car backfires through the intake and Liebbe says, "It smells like kerosene..." "What are you talking about, Rob?" I query from the snug confines of the racing cockpit. I go for another restart and he waves it off and says to get out. Sure enough, there's a kerosene smell, but that would mean that I put...

Yep, about 6 gallons of New Holland fuelin', American made diesel.

I hop on the horn and call back to my Mom's (where I get to keep the car rent free, 30X50 building, 240V for the welder, etc. You guys wouldn't like it-not enough light from the 8 windows and opening the two 10' wide garage doors, one at each end, makes it drafty) to check on the "gasoline" we put in the car. My brother checks the can and sure enough, diesel.

Now more props to the crew who pushed the car back on the trailer - Gary, Rob, New Person #1 and #2 and maybe even #3. Thanks!

Get it to the Batcave, put it on the charger and proceed to try to kill a fuel pump unloading some 12,13,14, I-don't-know gallaons from the tank. Pump starts to cavitate, kill it. Put some real GASOLINE in the tank and flush the fuel lines. Fuel lines connected, pull the coil wire to turn the motor over a little to flush the injectors. Re-connect the coil wire and hope it works.

Motor fires quickly while smoking a little. Revs from being a little rich, starts to settle into idle and dies. Re-fires ok making a little smoke but sounds more like the screaming 114,XXX mile Chevy small block it used to. Call Rob to let him hear that IT LIVES...

Whew! Dodged a bullet. Let the car run untill it was hot to recharge the battery and burn off the balance of the diesel chemo.

What a way to start the season.

Hoodpins? Check.

mitchntx
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
The upside is that you definitely weren't over the number ...

It'll only get better from here. 8)

Jeremy Gunter
01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
list for Houston

lift going over the launch
expect a lot of traffic at the start
expect the traffic to leave me in the dust
be ready for AI on my ass after lap1
don't put diesel in my car

Al Fernandez
01-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Too funny Dave

Well, what else happened at the dyno shop Saturday?

Here's what happened Friday:
We zip tied (yes, zip ties) a radiator to the ...umm..."nose" of Todd's car, jumped the battery, and she grudgingly fired up. The power steering is howling, but we get it on the trailer. On the rollers she's not sounding so hot, fuel pressure is only at about 20psi. She pulls a smoking 195/250. D'OH! We finally realize she's been sitting around for a year and a half and the gasoline is probably a lot more like diesel...so we do another two pulls and call it good! :lol:

We got my car on the rollers next. No issues, go Chevy power. At the beginning of this motor's fourth season, she lays down an average of 263/300 with no restrictors. Perfect! 8)

David Love AI27
01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Special thanks to Rob for setting up the dyno day and to Gary for bringing some buddies along to reduce the overall cost :D ...

I talked to Rob early in the morning and interupted his pancake breakfast... find out we have Dyno till 4:00pm... decide to setup car at home for just one set of runs instead of playing with motor settings at the shop... check vac with new guage find an interesting fact that my vac resevoir "holds" 15lbs of vacuum forever (thought the guage was stuck)... install new power valve in carb, replace dist curve springs and dist cap and rotor... adjust timing and carb... get to dyno location, late as usuall :oops: ... get lots of help from Rob and Gary :D ...

results: top hp 222, top tq 281

Todd Covini
01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hmmm...we've had plenty of hoods fly off and wheels spin off, but I think this may be the first diesel experiance! WooHoo!!!

Glad you got 'er runnin'. Now that you've learned that lesson, just remember the green flag means go and not diesel. (Those green handled pumps at the station will jump out at you now.) I learned my lesson thru a Harley buddy of mine a long time ago who needed my trailer to get home after filling his tank with the stuff.

Anyway, good dyno weekend. I'm happy with my 199/260 numbers and we'll see how they improve with fresh fluids and a rejuvenated ECU later in the season. Great to be back in the CMC groove.

-=- Todd

PS- Many thanks to Glenn's welding skills to fix a few abnormalities on the offroad roadster.

GlennCMC70
01-10-2009, 11:04 PM
accually, i think Boudy's "sister" put the funny fuel in his CMC car once last year.

marshall_mosty
01-10-2009, 11:18 PM
accually, i think Boudy's "sister" put the funny fuel in his CMC car once last year.

You mean Michelle?

http://duchtr.googlepages.com/269833copy.jpg

Fbody383
01-10-2009, 11:46 PM

What we think happened was my Mom loaned her generator and gas and the tractor and diesel to my aunt and her boyfriend. By the time it was all said and done, the generator and tractor were back and there was "fuel" in the gas cans.

If this is the worst thing that happens this year, other than the wife's Suburban blowing up the rear end or tranny on Friday, it will be ok.

AI#97
01-11-2009, 10:22 AM
list for Houston

expect a lot of traffic at the start
expect the traffic to leave me in the dust
be ready for AI on my ass after lap1don't put diesel in my car

No need to worry about that....I am not going to be there. :P

By the way, your car looks badass with the triple 8's installed and on the ground.....er' make that 6" off the ground. We have to cut some springs soon!

Rob Liebbe
01-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I was wiped out after the Houston Dyno day, so sorry about the delayed report.

First off I would like to thank Troy Reynolds for directing us to LateModelRacecraft. This event almost did not happen as we had a hard time finding the right shop at the right price that would open up on a Saturday. Steve at LMR did a good job despite having some issues with his dyno - some of the street cars did not get torque numbers as the tach pickup was having issues.

Second, a big thanks to Gary Robertson and all of his buddies who showed up. Gary's troop brought a 89(?) Mustang LX Coupe, a '67 Mustang Fastback "Bullit", Saturn Sky Redline Turbo, Black Z06, 2006 Mustang GT, and maybe one more that I'm forgetting. Without their additional cars, this would have been more expensive for the AI/CMC cars that made it.

Weather was about 60 degrees, cloudy and windy. Elevation at the dyno is 115 ft.

VinDiesel Francis showed up with his car full of tractor fuel. So we all pushed it back onto the trailer. But the car does exist and if he can extract the performance out of a Camry, he should be great in a Camaro. So look out for the flyin' maroon Camaro. He may need some John Deere green stripes on it though.

Richard Pederson arrived with an old West Coast Camaro. After adjusting the valves in the parking lot, it pulled just enough horsepower to put it in CMC2. They then pulled it back into the parking lot, changed both doors and hauled it directly to a bodyshop for a makeover. Good luck to the Allford. Pedersen, and mystery driver team.

Gary Robertson's Camaro ran similar numbers to last year and his single passenger side exhaust reverberating off the wall two feet away was pretty intense and very cool sounding.

My car continues to increase its numbers with 223 hp and 286 tq (memory recall - my mileage may vary). On and off the dyno quickly with no issues with the car.

David Love brought the #27 AI Camaro and finished off the day for us. On his first run, we all noticed when his shift light came on, but Dave never lifted. We figured he was using the light for warmth.

Again, thanks to Troy and Gary for their help. I think it went well and everyone had a good time.

michaelmosty
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
What were your #'s Rob?

GlennCMC70
01-11-2009, 12:55 PM
My car continues to increase its numbers with 223 hp and 286 tq (memory recall - my mileage may vary).

Al Fernandez
01-11-2009, 06:37 PM
And the Allford. "Pedersen, and mystery driver team" car numbers??

michaelmosty
01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
My car continues to increase its numbers with 223 hp and 286 tq (memory recall - my mileage may vary).
Wow, I totally missed that, thought those were Gary's #'s.

ShadowBolt
01-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Richard Pederson arrived with an old West Coast Camaro. After adjusting the valves in the parking lot, it pulled just enough horsepower to put it in CMC2. They then pulled it back into the parking lot, changed both doors and hauled it directly to a bodyshop for a makeover. Good luck to the Allford. Pedersen, and mystery driver team.

The mystery driver is no mystery to me.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
01-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Car #82 if I remember correctly. :twisted:

I'll let Richard disclose his numbers - if he chooses.

Dang Jerry, you know everything.

ShadowBolt
01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

I'll let Richard disclose his numbers - if he chooses.

Dang Jerry, you know everything.

I don't know for sure but I think I know.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
01-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I'll just say that I'm glad the Allford/Pedersen/Mystery car made CMC2 numbers. The CMC2 boys are in trouble if the A/P/M team car runs halfway decent. It won't have the LAW Motorsports tune on it, but I'm sure Richard will figure it out.

Richard, tell your driver to do all his braking in a straight line.

mitchntx
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
All indications show that the deuce will be a lot of fun this year.

However, I've decided to run in CMC this year.

Alien
01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Now more props to the crew who pushed the car back on the trailer - Gary, Rob, New Person #1 and #2 and maybe even #3. Thanks!

No problem at all. Fortunatly (unfortunatly?) ALL those guys have experience wik pushing cars up onto trailers. :shock: Seen em or not, they've all also corner worked at TWS at some time or another.

Me - Knocker - 217hp/278tq
Laura - '08 Sky Redline - 218hp
Kent - '06 Mustang GT - 275hp
Wade - '87 Mustang Coupe - 217hp/272tq
Zach - '02 Corvette Z06 - 340hp/345tq
Stroh - '67 Mustang - 314hp

evarner
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
However, I've decided to run in CMC this year.

Schweet!!!!!!

Adam Ginsberg
01-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Negative - do not lift going over the launch. Just be ready to counter steer a bit.

;)

Jeremy Gunter
01-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Negative - do not lift going over the launch. Just be ready to counter steer a bit.

;)

:oops: :oops: :oops:

evarner
01-12-2009, 08:14 PM

;)

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Lifting is always adviseable - especially if you see a red and black car behind ya. It's worth the wave alone. :D :D :D

RichardP
01-13-2009, 12:14 PM

That would be correct. Car number 82, reserved a while back…

I’m guessing you’re a bit more interested in the other numbers, though. I wasn’t too excited by them. 262 hp/292 tq. No restrictor.

That’s not too bad on the horsepower but that’s a full 25 ft/lbs short at our projected weight. That’s going to hurt.

To bump that torque up I was thinking I’d… no can’t do that. How about… no not that either. Maybe… most certainly not allowed. Oh, it looks like I’m allowed to rebuild the motor, maybe bump the compression a bit while I’m there, then cross my fingers and hope the ratio turns out better???

The last time the car was on the dyno it made more torque. But that was three engines ago. I’m pretty sure this car is cursed…

Richard P.

michaelmosty
01-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I’m pretty sure this car is cursed…

Richard P.
What car is that Richard?

RichardP
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I’m pretty sure this car is cursed…

Richard P.
What car is that Richard?

The car that we put on the dyno on Saturday... Try and keep up. :-)

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
wow, am i gonna be the only CMC-2 LT1 that needs a restrictor plate?

mitchntx
01-13-2009, 12:41 PM

If so, it certainly calls into question the legality of your motor, but would account for all those lines in your sig ... :P

Todd Covini
01-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Top of the key.
No backboard.
Nothin' but net.

That one's likely going to prompt a phonecall, Mitch.

Al Fernandez
01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Those numbers will be plenty. Just drive like hell!

AllZWay
01-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Those numbers sound very normal to me.

My car dynoed at 260 hp and 297 torque for CMC-2 with no restrictor.

mitchntx
01-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Top of the key.
No backboard.
Nothin' but net.

That one's likely going to prompt a phonecall, Mitch.

He probably mashed the keypad so hard it broke the phone. :lol:

ShadowBolt
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM

but would account for all those lines in your sig ... :P

Half court...pulls up and shoots, balls in the air.......swish!

JJ

mitchntx
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Those numbers sound very normal to me.

My car dynoed at 260 hp and 297 torque for CMC-2 with no restrictor.

The white car is 258/304 and the teal car was 261/308 I believe.

jeffburch
01-13-2009, 02:09 PM

Who's driving?

jb

mitchntx
01-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Who's driving?

jb

My vote is for The Stig

AI#97
01-13-2009, 03:25 PM
My vote is for The Stig

Sorry, I have a prior engagement and won't be able to make Houston! ;)

RichardP
01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
My vote is for The Stig

I thought you were the Stig's slightly larger American cousin???

http://astrx.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/snapshot20070409234139.jpg

Richard P.

Rob Liebbe
01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
[
Half court...pulls up and shoots, balls in the air.......swish!

JJ

Who says punctuation isn't important. I think you need an apostrophe in "balls" there Mr. Jordan. But then again, in aircraft you can go "balls to the wall", so maybe "balls in the air" might be appropriate in basketball.

:oops:

AI#97
01-13-2009, 04:57 PM
My vote is for The Stig

I thought you were the Stig's slightly larger American cousin???

http://astrx.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/snapshot20070409234139.jpg

Richard P.

Key word is "were"... I have lost 25 pounds since the last event and plan to lose another 30 by May. My corner weights are no longer going to be WAY off and pissing off the 135 lbs of ballast has made a huge difference in performance!

U Sure that isn't a picture of the Marvelous new -2 driver?! ;)