PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Challenge - Why We Race

Todd Covini
12-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Mustang Challenge To Make Prime-Time HD Theater Debut on Sunday Evening

First of Three WHY WE RACE: THE MUSTANG CHALLENGE Episodes Starts Sunday at 8 PM ET

Tooele, UT (2 December 2008) – Just like the moments leading to a green flag, the countdown has quickened as fans of the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup look ahead to this Sunday night’s broadcast premier of WHY WE RACE: THE MUSTANG CHALLENGE on HD Theater. The 8 PM ET broadcast marks the first of three consecutive Sunday night shows as the full excitement, drama, and behind the scenes story of the inaugural season of Mustang Challenge competition is told.

The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup, co-developed by Ford Racing and Miller Motorsports Park, made a splash in its debut season with stout fields and close competition from the front to the back. Andrew Caddell of Graham, Washington, emerged from the pack to stamp his name on the distinctive Miller Cup championship trophy and add his name to the long list of champion Ford Mustang drivers. But the action wasn’t all up front, as WHY WE RACE: THE MUSTANG CHALLENGE also follows a diverse set of racing teams ranging from father-son duos following a passion for speed to well-financed enterprises featuring multiple race cars, drivers and full crews of mechanics.

Produced by Emmy-winning Ligner Group Productions, WHY WE RACE: THE MUSTANG CHALLENGE had a team utilizing High-Definition equipment to capture the drama, with scores of tiny HD cameras installed inside the FR500S Mustang’s to give viewers a completely unique vantage point. HD Theater is a premier offering from Discovery Communications family of high-definition networks and it is exclusively available in 1080i and 5.1 digital surround sound on high-definition platforms nationwide.

“We’re really excited to have the opportunity to be in millions of homes across the country and to show an entirely new audience why Mustang Challenge is THE Place to Race!” said Jamie Slone, who knows first hand what he is talking about, having run to second place in the 2008 Mustang Challenge Championship before joining the series as the Sales and Marketing Manager. “There just isn’t another series that has the bang for the buck like the Mustang Challenge, and to have us showcased on HD Theater like this for three consecutive Sunday nights is an extraordinary opportunity to tell the stories behind the racers.”

Those looking to get a sneak peek at the broadcast can visit the following link:
http://turbo.discovery.com/why-we-race/why-we-race.html

Additional screening times:
http://dhd.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=66.15710.124543.35632.x

About Ford Racing Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup:

www.millercup.com

The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge for the Miller Cup is a new professional racing series co-developed by Ford Racing and Miller Motorsports Park. Utilizing the new Ford Mustang FR500S and sanctioned by the Grand American Road Racing Association, the Mustang Challenge series is a support series to major professional road racing events across North America. A competitive point structure and generous purses make the Mustang Challenge THE Place to Race, with an affordable, challenging platform for racers who want to compete in a V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive car on a level playing field that will showcase driver ability in high-profile events.

ABOUT HD THEATER
The first 24-hour high-definition network to broadcast all of its content in brilliant 1080i and 5.1 digital surround sound, HD Theater offers compelling real-world and motorized content from a wide range of categories including adventure, technology, nature and world culture – all designed to provide viewers with the highest-quality television experience available. For more information on Discovery Communication’s premier HD network, please visit www.dhd.discovery.com or www.turbo.com

Todd Covini
12-20-2008, 12:07 AM
I watched part of my DVR'd show the other day and liked it. Will see how the action gets as I watch more.

Al Fernandez
12-20-2008, 01:57 PM
I watched the first two episodes. Who wants to take a bet that Todd and I will have diverging opinions on this show, just like we had about that racing challenge show that had Brady Flaherty etc in it...what the hell was that called?

Todd Covini
12-20-2008, 02:05 PM
SETUP! Only the best reality racing show ever filmed!

I don't think that "Why We Race" is going to eclipse Setup, but we'll see.

Todd Covini
12-20-2008, 02:07 PM
....and "Roary - The Race Car" on Noggin is becoming a family favorite now too! Very realistic.

AI#97
12-20-2008, 05:53 PM
....and "Roary - The Race Car" on Noggin is becoming a family favorite now too! Very realistic.

Shouldn't you be working on your race car?

David Love AI27
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM

think too much TV is getting in the way, or find a program about repairing race cars... 8)

David Love AI27
12-20-2008, 05:55 PM
crap... beat me too it... LOL

Todd Covini
12-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm waiting for the SPEED channel to start having shows about racecar restoration. Right now, HGTV has got the DIY television market cornered.

Smart guys. :wink:

AI#97
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I watched what appears to be episode 1 and introduced the two 23 year newbies racing on Daddy's money....from what I gather, they had ZERO door to door experience as did MOST of the drivers. There were a few semi pros but for the most part it made it sound like anyone with $75,000 could buy the car and show up. The other number thrown out on the table was $200,000 for the full season of 8 events....but didn't say it included the price of the car.

If all that info is true...It comes down to marketing bringing enough money into the series with sponsors...and TV!! There are 75 of those cars that have been built, rumors of 40 have been sold to racers so somehow, this crappy show, some magazine print and maybe a speed episode or two as support series has allowed these guys to raise $8M....?

How can we use this as an example to get just $15k a year for each of us for our full regional season and every one of us to go to nationals...?

AI#97
12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
finished watching the second half of episode 1 and all of 2 and 3. I can't believe the stable one team wants to go race in a bigger series with ZERO experience. How many cars did they wreck...all but 2? And hiring Borcheller for a semi pro series....come on?!

Series seems interesting and only moderately expensive to run at the front if you stay out of trouble but the wrecks are pretty bad and tear the hell out of the cars a lot! Also saw LOTS of stupid driving and dumb mistakes. It was also interesting they were having brake problems at Mid Ohio....wonder what they did to fix that?

In all honesty, I think there are 10 drivers in this region that if funded, could go into that series and whip their asses. Proof the real racers never make the big time I guess.

Kudos to Caddell...seemed like he deserved it.

chris-CMC#35
12-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Given the general tone of the episodes, and the way the coverage stayed pretty much on Stable One, I'm guessing those guys funded the TV.

-chris

BlueFirePony
12-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Kudos to Caddell...seemed like he deserved it.
Yeah, I don't know him personally but I've seen his results, videos and other evidence that he's put his time in and has skillz.
As for the series....sigh. 'nuff said.

Todd Covini
03-10-2009, 10:04 PM
GoPro Joins Mustang Challenge as Official On-board Camera Supplier

World's leading Motorsports Camera Company Partners with Mustang Challenge to Bring Innovative Content to the web

Tooele, UT-- (10 March 2009) – The world's #1 selling on-board motorsports camera company, GoPro, has signed on as the “Official On-board Camera Supplier” of the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge. GoPro Camera joins an established list of name-brand Series Partners for Mustang Challenge including Ford Racing, Miller Motorsports Park, BFGoodrich Tires, and HD Theater.

After delivering all the drama and excitement of the 2008 season directly into High-Definition homes nationwide with the WHY WE RACE: THE MUSTANG CHALLENGE series on HD Theater, Mustang Challenge is poised in 2009 to deliver even more content on a regular basis to consumers online.

GoPro's market-leading Motorsports HERO and Motorsports HERO WIDE on-board video cameras will be filming on all of the competing Ford Racing Mustangs, allowing for incredible on-board angles that will bring the action to fans via the web. Compass360, another Mustang Challenge partner, will be responsible for editing and presenting the footage captured on the GoPro cameras.

“GoPro is fired up and honored that the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Series has chosen our industry-leading line of on-board cameras to document their race season,” said GoPro founder and CEO, Nicholas Woodman. “With several GoPro cameras mounted on every car...it’s going to be some exciting footage for the fans to enjoy online. And it's a terrific way to demonstrate the high performance of our cameras. The same $199 GoPro camera you can buy at PEP BOYS or www.goprocamera.com to run on your street car or motorcycle will be used on these incredible Ford Racing Mustangs. Very cool.”

Perfect for the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Series, GoPro recently introduced its new 170 degree wide-angle lens Motorsports HERO Wide camera, which dramatically shows more viewing area and more racing excitement than any other on-board camera. It's also smaller, lighter, and more convenient than any other camera on the market, for a fraction of the cost. Suggested retail is $199.

“The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge is thrilled to have GoPro as the Official Camera of the 2009 season,” said Jamie Slone, Sales and Marketing Director of the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge. “The Motorsports HERO camera is perfect for our racers because it is so simple to use; they can place it anywhere and the video quality is terrific. We will use the Motorsports HERO to capture some great racing action this year that will be available on both the GoPro and www.mustangchallenge.com websites.”

"We've been impressed with the amazing footage these little GoPros deliver," noted Karl Thomson, Managing Partner at Compass360. "We're going to create a number of short four- or five-minute features each race weekend, and these cameras are going to be a big help in catching all the action! We can place them pretty much anywhere we want which should make for some awesome camera angles."

The partnership will also see Mustang Challenge become a retailer for GoPro, with the series bringing inventory to race meetings as well as selling the innovative video capturing devices online. Mustang Challenge will stage 8 race weekends in 2009, including 5 race meetings in support of Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series events.

The Motorsports HERO Wide is bundled with mounting accessories for cars, motorcycles, motorsports helmets, boats, planes, and other powersports activities. Retailing for $199.99, the Motorsports HERO Wide is available at motorsports-related stores such as track shops, Yamaha dealers, Cycle Gear stores, PEP BOYS automotive stores, and online at http://www.goprocamera.com.Visit the GoPro website to see sample video and photos shot with GoPro's exciting on-board cameras.

GoPro is the world's leading manufacturer of ultra-convenient wearable and gear mountable digital cameras for consumer activities including outdoor sports and motorsports. Since 2004, GoPro has been designing cameras and accessories that make it easy for people to capture images and video during their favorite activities. Its products include the patented HERO line of shockproof/waterproof wearable cameras and gear-attachment devices.

For additional information: www.goprocamera.com/www.mustangchallenge.com

The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge season will open on March 13-15 at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

About Ford Racing Mustang Challenge: The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge is a new professional racing series co-developed by Ford Racing and Miller Motorsports Park. Utilizing the new Ford Mustang FR500S and sanctioned by the Grand American Road Racing Association, the Mustang Challenge series is a support series to major professional road racing events across North America. Mustang Challenge is an affordable, challenging platform for racers who want to compete in a V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive car on a level playing field that showcases driver ability in high-profile events. A competitive point structure and generous purses make the Mustang Challenge The Place to Race!

mitchntx
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Sweet

mitchntx
03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
The guy still has 3 remaining ...

Todd Covini
03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Only you would catch that error. :lol:

mitchntx
03-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Only you would catch that error. :lol:

Flexed them super-mod skills, eh?

Todd Covini
03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I can post cat pictures. :idea:

mitchntx
03-11-2009, 07:04 AM
I can post cat pictures. :idea:

At first I thought it was just you. But now Michael has started posting cat pics. So it's a Ford thing where you can't come up with an original thought or idea, right?

http://www.funny-animals.org/wp-content/funny-animals/cat-bal.jpg

<swish>

evarner
03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Down with the dark side...er pontiac...er... you know what I mean.

http://www.movie-moron.com/wp-content/gallery/star-wars/SW-Jedi-Squirrel.jpg