PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler install?

Mike Bell
05-14-2006, 08:37 AM
OK, I've ventured into the world of oil coolers, bought a kit and I'm a bit puzzled on where to put this thing. Should I mount it in front of the existing radiator? Not much grill opening area in the front of the SN95 so I was concerned about putting it down low where it might be damaged from rocks/debris/mishaps but if I put it in front of the radiator will it be helping or hurting my cause?

jeffburch
05-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Mine is a 11" sq. B&M supercooler mounted to the front of the rad with the supplied plastic ziptie poke-through-the-rad-thingys.
Barbs/clamps with good blue hose from Pegasus.

jb

michaelmosty
05-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Mike,
I'm not sure if there is an "ideal" way for install on the SN95. (I should know since I race one :wink: )
I have quite a large opening in the front of mine since my car has always run a little hot. I just installed a new oil cooler, AND LINES, and have it placed in the middle in front of the radiator. I would think that yours would be ideal towards the top of the radiator for maximum airflow from your grille.

Mike Bell
05-15-2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try it in front of the radiator and see if it helps. My water temps were hitting 250 at the end of our 20 min races, not sure how the car will do on a longer race.

gt40
05-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Mike,
I'm not sure if there is an "ideal" way for install on the SN95. (I should know since I race one :wink: )
I have quite a large opening in the front of mine since my car has always run a little hot. I just installed a new oil cooler, AND LINES, and have it placed in the middle in front of the radiator. I would think that yours would be ideal towards the top of the radiator for maximum airflow from your grille.this is why I usually recommend a radiator with a built-in oil cooler -- al-la Griffin. ZERO packaging issues. :)

Mike Bell
05-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Way too expensive for the Griffin and if I take a rock through the radiator then it's all for naught. Ask Varner about rocks and radiators lol.

Besides, I already have the cooler and fittings/hoses.

CMC17
05-15-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a $170 rock up on my used parts shelf. :shock:

AI#97
05-15-2006, 12:46 PM
I have a $170 rock up on my used parts shelf. :shock:

I took a rock in my mega buck used radiator at event 1 in houston and had a radiator shop fix it for $60....I will have screening for this event though!

Mike, I would be concerned about water temp if we do a 40 minute race. Don't know what you are allowed to do in CMC for getting more air into the radiator but if it's in the 90's and humid this weekend, you will be in trouble. Maybe you can plumb your cool suit to the radiator! I guess I am lucky with the aluminum motor because my oil temps never go over 220 and water temp hovers around 190.....except when I tape over the front end! :oops:

Mike Bell
05-15-2006, 12:53 PM
Simple, if the motor gets too hot I pull off the track. One dropped race won't kill my weekend.

If it keeps happening I'll just start signing up for a "one day" event, this paying $300 plus per weekend isn't the value it once was.

gt40
05-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Way too expensive for the Griffin and if I take a rock through the radiator then it's all for naught. Ask Varner about rocks and radiators lol.

Besides, I already have the cooler and fittings/hoses.yeah -- I can see the benefits of that approach.

Still, if you can manage the risk of a rock taking it out (screeening, radiator ducting from underneath, etc...) the Griffin still makes a lot of sense. I think its cheaper (I paid $350 for mine new,) than a raciator and separate oil cooler, and installation is a no-brainer.