PDA

View Full Version : Canton pan or Accusump?

ShadowBolt
12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I have neither on CMC17 and so far have not had a problem that I know of. The Canton (by the time you get everything you need) is high but may be way easier than screwing with the Accusump. Is there a clear way to go or is it to each his own?

JJ

jeffburch
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
I have neither on CMC17 and so far have not had a problem that I know of.
Why the concern?
Forgettabouttit.
jb

AI#97
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I have neither on CMC17 and so far have not had a problem that I know of. The Canton (by the time you get everything you need) is high but may be way easier than screwing with the Accusump. Is there a clear way to go or is it to each his own?

JJ

to each their own but accusumps are hard to damage on curbs! ;)

I have a canton on my car and given it sits about 1.5" off the ground, it has taken a few scrapes and hits but needs a skid plate welded to it next time the motor is out of the car. that being the case, get a metal pan and not an aluminum one as they will crack.

some get by just running over full but considering you can buy a junkyard 302 for the price of a pan or accusump, does it really matter?! :lol:

michaelmosty
12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Why the concern?
Forgettabouttit.
jb
Agreed.

ShadowBolt
12-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Why the concern?
Forgettabouttit.
jb
Agreed.

Spending money to bump from CMC to CMC2 thought I might need the protection. I want this motor to stay in the car for three or four years if possible. I used to do this crap for a living and I DON"T enjoy it! I have seen several in our class running one or the other. I just has no idea it was so much money. There is only one Canton that can be run in CMC, it does not hang down any more than a stock pan and it's made from steel but it's $300.00 without a pick-up, dipstick, or gaskets.

JJ

marshall_mosty
12-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Unless you want to pull the K-member to install the pan in the car, you will need to pull the motor to do the oil pan.

The Accusump is well worth the money and you can also trigger it prior to starting the car to act as a "pre luber" so you have instant oil pressure once the motor catches.

I have both, but ran for a while with only the accusump. At MSR-H I would go down to less than 10psi oil pressure and the engine would make funny noises. After the accusump, no loss of oil pressure... ever (until you turn off the car at least).

cobra132
12-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I like my accusump and use it as a pre-oiler before each engine start. It has to help, especially in a DOHC motor. FMR

jeremiahkellam
12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
What size would you suggest?? 3 qt
And any preference between Canton or Moroso?
I like the idea of the electronic valve, but is it necessary to also have the electric pressure control valve? Does it really do anything extra?? Without it, would the accumulator constantly work to stabilize the OP instead of only working when the pressure drops to a preset like the pressure control valve does? Does that question make any sense??

marshall_mosty
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Jeremiah,
Get the bigger one. It's a bit of extra weight and takes more oil to do an oil change, but hey, bigger is better. It's just more insurance you won't have an issue..

I would use Canton. I've heard bad stories about the Moroso unit. Nothing first hand. You just see a bunch of guys running Canton's and not very many Moroso units.

Regarding the electronic versus value, they work the same. The only thing the electric will give you is it will automatically turn on when the electric valve gets power (switch on dash, wired into the key ignition, etc) whereas the manual valve is... well, manual.

The units work off the pressure differential between the resivoir and the engine. There is a small charge of air or nitrogen on one end of the unit. This will provide a bit of resistance for the engine oil to push against when the engine is making oil pressure. Since it is at zero pressure at startup initally, the engine oil will find it's way into the accusump, slowly filling the unit at whatever the engine pressure it. If you ever experience a low oil pressure situation, the high pressure oil in the accusump will push into the engine, keeping the acual pressure the engine see as a constant.

cobra132
12-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Bigger is better. I like my manual valve, I give it a pull and when the oil pressure peaks I start the engine. While running it provides protection as marshall decribes. Then prior to shut down I gun-it and when the pressure peaks I push in the valve holding that pressure for the next start-up. Remember to install a one way check valve in the system. FMR

marshall_mosty
12-09-2008, 05:53 AM
If you buy the Canton adaptor for the block, it comes with the one-way valve Frank mentions. That keeps the oil going into the oil gallery instead of dumping back towards the pan where the oil pressure isn't needed.

chicane23
12-09-2008, 11:16 AM
If you buy the Canton adaptor for the block, it comes with the one-way valve Frank mentions. That keeps the oil going into the oil gallery instead of dumping back towards the pan where the oil pressure isn't needed.

Which adapter are you talking about? The Canton 22-656 nor the 22-545 have a one way check valve. If you wish to have the added security you have to purchase the one way check valve 24-280.
The Canton system in general is not prone to back flow.

BTW, I did call Canton's Tech line (203.481.9943) this morning and verified this.

At lunch I will verify the Canton pan height with the k-member on Wayne's CMC car.

The only down fail that I see for the that Canton pan is for those that like to work on there car at the track. It is extremely difficult to change the oil pump at that track with a Canton pan.

To me having one or the other is cheap insurance. It's like changing your oil after each weekend/event.
I would rather spend the money on a good oiling system than purchase a new motor, which one is cheaper?

chicane23
12-09-2008, 11:47 AM
The Canton RR oil pan (7 quart) sits 2 inches higher than the stock Fox Mustang k-member.

This was in reference to ground clearance on a CMC car.

cobra132
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
The canton RR pan fits the maximum motorsports K-member/brace as well. They changed the location of the oil drain plug to the rear of the pan but still clears the brace. Frank

marshall_mosty
12-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Which adapter are you talking about? The Canton 22-656 nor the 22-545 have a one way check valve. If you wish to have the added security you have to purchase the one way check valve 24-280.
The Canton system in general is not prone to back flow.
I guess I had bad info. I thought their adaptors had them "built in".

#24-280 Check Valve ensures all the oil being discharged out of an Accusump goes to lubricate the engine bearings and is not fed back toward the pump For used in a system where a remote filter or cooler is use Uses 1/2" N.P.T. female Threads.

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/images/Products/Canton/24_280_2in.jpg