PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Guys....Barber in April?

AI#97
12-04-2008, 12:29 PM
So who all in the Mustang crowd got the invite to go to Barber for the exhibition event in April for the 45th Mustang Anniversary event? I realize it is the same weekend of TWS/Enduro but I think I want to give Barber a try and since I am not running a full schedule this year, I want to broaden my track resume a bit.

I am thinking I am only going to do Cresson and maybe Hallett to qual for nationals and that is it for regional races. Hope to add Barber and Miller to my conquered list this year but only time will tell.

Anyone else interested? It's only a 10 hour tow from Dallas!

michaelmosty
12-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Why not just run Barber w/ NASA later in the year?

AI#97
12-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Because there will be more AI cars at the Ford event than there will be at the NASA weekend and Ford event will only cost me about $150 entry where the NASA weekend is MUCH more.

That and I have made up my mind I am not running our full regional next year...just enough to qual for nationals if I decide to go. the regional stuff really doesn't get me going anymore and instead of concentrating on that, i am going to have fun and go to other tracks if possible. Sort of what Burch, Boudy and Ginsberg did in 07... Might even help at building the HPDE program for NASA as an instructor and hit up some of the car clubs in the state. We got to keep that pipeline of newbs coming or it's going to get boring racing the same 4 or 5 guys all the time.

BSharp
12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
I will probably go. If it is anything like the Mustang 40th shin-dig in Nashville it will be huge! 2500 cars in show alone.

ShadowBolt
12-04-2008, 05:06 PM

the regional stuff really doesn't get me going anymore

If you were in CMC I don't think you would feel this way....unless you were wining evey race and had no competition. Not enough cars in AI in Texas.

JJ

AI#97
12-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Not enough cars in AI in Texas.
JJ

Yeah, we sort of screwed ourselves really. This region raised the bar across the board for development among AI cars and have placed the class out of reach for some newbies. That and we have 3 drivers that could run for a championship may be scaring off some folks and they have been landing in Group 7 IMHO because they feel they have no chance in winning after dropping the larger investment. I would love to run CMC with you guys and get my fill of close racing but until prices come back up on AI cars and I can lose my sentimental attachment to this bucket in the garage, I don't see me joining the crew for a while. It would be cool sometime to race in a CMC car and see if I can really drive without the aide of aero, power and ABS! :wink:

mitchntx
12-04-2008, 06:38 PM
see if I can really drive without the crutch of aero, power and ABS! :wink:

Fixed. ;)

AI#97
12-04-2008, 06:57 PM
see if I can really drive without the crutch of aero, power and ABS! :wink:

Fixed. ;)

Only one way to find out! ;)

jeffburch
12-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Can a Camaro go? 8)

jb

AI#97
12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Can a Camaro go? 8)

jb

We could always try the Obama curse of change from Lemons and paint Mustang GT on the side of it and see if it flies! :lol:

David Love AI27
12-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Can a Camaro go? 8)

jb

I took mine to a SVT event at TWS... tech guys gave me a bunch of crap especially when they saw a carburated motor... got lots of giggles in the padock before I hit the track, afterwards they were not so happy... :shock: but to be honest I didn't run at the requested 80%... :twisted: thats what they get for teasin'... NIMBY!!!

rpoz27
12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Can a Camaro go? 8)

jb

I took mine to a SVT event at TWS... tech guys gave me a bunch of crap especially when they saw a carburated motor... got lots of giggles in the padock before I hit the track, afterwards they were not so happy... :shock: but to be honest I didn't run at the requested 80%... :twisted: thats what they get for teasin'... NIMBY!!!

That happened to Martin in his DD at a Corvette event. The grid people must have asked him 3 times if he was in the right group "cuz these guys are going to be fast". Turns out the only time any of them came close to fast was when a few of them screwed up and took short course. :lol:

Adam Ginsberg
12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Whether you go with the SVT club, or with NASA....definitely go to Barber. It's a first class track with great facilities. My only regret is that we never got to the museum.

And, if it's a toss up - go to the NASA event. Jim Pantas really puts on a great event.

Do a "road show"...go race at other tracks, in other regions. Doing so the past few years has been huge fun, a great learning experience, and very memorable. It provided a very unique perspective on how other regions manage events/races/racers. Well worth every penny spent.

marshall_mosty
12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
...I can lose my sentimental attachment to this bucket in the garage, I don't...

I believe your race car is in the "Mosty" garage right now... :wink:

chicane23
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Mustang 45th Anniversary Celebration
April 16-19, 2009
Barber Motorsports Park
Birmingham, Alabama

http://www.mustangevents.org/MCA.cfm?home

This will be a huge event!