PDA

View Full Version : George Bush

cjlmlml
01-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Good article here.

At least Bush stayed true to his beliefs and morality.

Our new president has Ob(s)ama and Hussein in his name. Does anyone else find this a little bit crazy?

We will see what happens with HIS moral compass.

Good luck to all of you.

Bush Was Right When It Mattered Most Article

By KARL ROVE
Its call sign has always been Air Force One. But on Tuesday, it was Special Air Mission 28000, as former President George W. Bush and his wife Laura returned home to Texas on a plane full of family, friends, former staff and memories of eight years in the White House.

APThe former president and his wife thanked each passenger, showing the thoughtfulness and grace so characteristic of this wonderful American family.

A video tribute produced warm laughter and inevitable tears. There was no bitterness, but rather a sense of gratitude -- gratitude for the opportunity to serve, for able and loyal colleagues, and above all for our country and its people.

Yet, as Mr. Bush left Washington, in a last angry frenzy his critics again distorted his record, maligned his character and repeated untruths about his years in the Oval Office. Nothing they wrote or said changes the essential facts.

To start with, Mr. Bush was right about Iraq. The world is safer without Saddam Hussein in power. And the former president was right to change strategy and surge more U.S. troops.

Mr. Bush was right to establish a doctrine that holds those who harbor, train and support terrorists as responsible as the terrorists themselves. He was right to take the war on terror abroad instead of waiting until dangers fully materialize here at home. He was right to strengthen the military and intelligence and to create the new tools to monitor the communications of terrorists, freeze their assets, foil their plots, and kill and capture their operators.

These tough decisions -- which became unpopular in certain quarters only when memories of 9/11 began to fade -- kept America safe for seven years and made it possible for Mr. Obama to tell the terrorists on Tuesday "we will defeat you."

Mr. Bush was right to be a unilateralist when it came to combating AIDS in Africa. While world leaders dithered, his President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief initiative brought lifesaving antiretroviral drugs to millions of Africans.

At home, Mr. Bush cut income taxes for every American who pays taxes. He also cut taxes on capital, investment and savings. The result was 52 months of growth and the strongest economy of any developed country.

Mr. Bush was right to match tax cuts with spending restraint. This is a source of dispute, especially among conservatives, but the record is there to see. Bill Clinton's last budget increased domestic nonsecurity discretionary spending by 16%. Mr. Bush cut that to 6.2% growth in his first budget, 5.5% in his second, 4.3% in his third, 2.2% in his fourth, and then below inflation, on average, since. That isn't the sum total of the fiscal record, of course -- but it's a key part of it.

He was right to have modernized Medicare with prescription drug benefits provided through competition, not delivered by government. The program is costing 40% less than projected because market forces dominate and people -- not government -- are making the decisions.

Mr. Bush was right to pass No Child Left Behind (NCLB), requiring states to set up tough accountability systems that measure every child's progress at school. As a result, reading and math scores have risen more in the last five years since NCLB than in the prior 28 years.

He was right to stand for a culture of life. And he was right to appoint conservative judges who strictly interpret the Constitution.

Mr. Bush, a man of core decency and integrity, was right not to reply in kind when Democratic leaders called him a liar and a loser. The price of trying to change the tone in Washington was to be often pummeled by lesser men.

Few presidents had as many challenges arise during their eight years, had as many tough calls to make in such a partisan-charged environment, or had to act in the face of such hostile media and elite opinion.

On board Special Air Mission 28000, I remembered the picture I carried in my pocket on my first Air Force One flight eight years ago. It was an old black-and-white snapshot with scalloped edges. It showed Lyndon Johnson in the Cabinet Room, head in hand, weeping over a Vietnam casualty report. George Christian, LBJ's press secretary, gave it to me as a reminder that the job could break anyone, no matter how big and tough.

But despite facing challenges and crises few others have, the job did not break George W. Bush. Though older and grayer, his brows more furrowed, he is the same man he was, a person of integrity who did what he believed was right. And he exits knowing he summoned all of his energy and talents to defend America and advance its ideals at home and abroad. He didn't get everything right -- no president does -- but he got the most important things right. And that is enough.

Mr. Rove is the former senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush.

ShadowBolt
01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm with you. Bush spent way to much money but he kept us safe and I would not count on this the next four years. What I can't believe is that there are people that think they don't have to worry about their house payment or putting gas in their car now that he is in office. It's a sad day in American history when we get so many libs in office. You can bet that those at the top will pay through the nose so those from the middle to the bottom don't have to pay anything in taxes. Don't get me started!

JJ

cobra132
01-23-2009, 10:25 AM
History will judge Mr. Bush and I think he will do just fine. His legacy will be as a protector in the post 911 world. I am very worried about our new administration. In the first 48 hours they are planning to shut down Gitmo, suspended actions against known enemies, plan to release our enemies back to their country of origin (to kill more Americans I fear) and banned effective non-lethal interrogation techniques. What kind of message does that send. Be vigilant my friends. FMR

jeffburch
01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
For every action, there's and equal and opposite reaction.

Swing the pendalum too far and it will eventually swing that far in the opposite direction.

We were/are so far off in the right bar ditch that the voters over reacted.
Over corrected. Now we're headed to the other bar ditch.
I hope there isn't a culvert or worse in there.
jb

AI#97
01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
History will judge Mr. Bush and I think he will do just fine. His legacy will be as a protector in the post 911 world. I am very worried about our new administration. In the first 48 hours they are planning to shut down Gitmo, suspended actions against known enemies, plan to release our enemies back to their country of origin (to kill more Americans I fear) and banned effective non-lethal interrogation techniques. What kind of message does that send. Be vigilant my friends. FMR

Don't get me started on the gun bans either... Funny part is Obama is being herolded as the "gun salesman of the year 2008". Overall, gun sales were up 40% for the YEAR in just the last 50 days of 2008. I imagine if he f's things up too bad, they might be voting from the rooftops and the libs are screwed.

If anyone watched the interviews from the inaugaration crowd, you should have found it funny with respect to what Jerry was saying...people genuinely believe that the gubment' is going to take care of them! Laughable!!!!

BlueFirePony
01-23-2009, 10:56 AM
I thank God every day that Bush was in office and not Gore; I pray to God every day that the world's leaders will have the wisdom to lead.

I thank God every day for the American people who dug themselves out of the shadow of 9/11. I pray to God everyday for those that could not.

I thank God every day that millions of people around the world (US and others) have stood up to be counted. I pray to God every day that I will have the courage to be so honorable.

JB you are right on the (over)reaction, but I think its more potent than just a natural swing this time.
There are anchor legislation/policies being enacted now that voters will not be able to undo even if there is a change in administration/congress in 2-4 years. There is a surge of nationization going on amid the $800B+ spending that reminds me of the "crown corporations" in Canada...A BIG MISTAKE folks...it will tie the hands of the voters and politicians for decades.

ShadowBolt
01-23-2009, 02:14 PM
For every action, there's and equal and opposite reaction.

Swing the pendalum too far and it will eventually swing that far in the opposite direction.

We were/are so far off in the right bar ditch that the voters over reacted.
Over corrected. Now we're headed to the other bar ditch.
I hope there isn't a culvert or worse in there.
jb

I agree with you some on this JB but Bush spent as much as any ever on the left so as far as spending is concerned he was not near enough to the right.

JJ

ShadowBolt
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
There were 1.5 million people at the inauguration, and only 14 missed work.