PDA

View Full Version : 2006 GTO....need input...

AI#97
02-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Guys, I am thinking of getting rid of my truck and getting into a 2006 GTO 6spd. Anyone have any experience with one? I am going to drive one tonight but wanted to see what the general concensus was.

It's going to be a daily/instruction/DE track day car. Don't need the truck anymore so looking at options...

Thanks.

RichardP
02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
They don't tow race cars very well...

Richard P.

AI#97
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
They don't tow race cars very well...

Richard P.

I have access to two other vehicles to tow with...and I would like for it not to be a problem within the next 6 months(ie, sell AI car). Since there is no one to race with in AI, (not dissing my fellow AI guys, I just want larger fields) I am not getting the bang for the very large buck. CMC2 is where it's at so...maybe I will be there in a few years?

mitchntx
02-06-2009, 09:52 PM
When they were first introduced, I drove one. It felt heavy and lazy ...

Rob Liebbe
02-06-2009, 10:22 PM
When they were first introduced, I drove one. It felt heavy and lazy ...

Sometimes I feel that way. :wink:

Todd Covini
02-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Yeah Rob, that's what I thought when you were first introduced too.

Hood
02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
I own a 2004 GTO and have autocrossed it and driven it well beyond the limits on secluded highways. The car is fun to drive...well balanced feel to it but it suffers from obesity, lack of tire and insufficient brakes ('05 and '06 have better brakes but still could use more). The car is so fun to drift and is easy to get a controlled slide happening. I would consider the GTO one of the best touring cars available for under $20K (read that as BMW-like road feel with an extra 100 hp). I love my goat but would not consider it a go-to car for lapping sessions without ALOT of upgrades. Losing the front struts in favor of an SLA suspension might allow something larger than a 245 section width tire up front. A 285 will fit out back with minimal fender clearancing but to go all out, I would mimic the Woodward GTO fender flares. I still have plans to do that mod to my car. Who knows... you mind find it showing up in AI eventually.

GlennCMC70
02-13-2009, 05:54 AM
i would just get the G8. those things are going for $26K new right now. i paid alot more for mine.

AI#97
02-13-2009, 09:52 AM
i would just get the G8. those things are going for $26K new right now. i paid alot more for mine.

Don't want 4 doors unless it's a CTS-V...and the G8 only has the manual in the $40k GXP model.

Gary thanks for the write up and it confirms exactly why I won't be getting one unless there is a helluva deal. Considering I have a loathing attitude toward chevy's in the first place, I think I have made up my mind to wait for a few years and pick up a used Challenger 6spd. I may race a ford but I am a Mopar fan at heart.

Gary, quit fart'n around with that CMC car and get the goat into AI!!! :lol:

mitchntx
02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Considering I have a loathing attitude toward chevy's in the first place

GTO/G8 ... t's a Pontiac, not a Chevy ...

Ford owners :roll:

Hood
02-13-2009, 12:27 PM

Oh... I already have plans for the AI or AIX car. Actually, I already have the car. I just need to do a few things to make it ready for AI. If I put it in AI I will go with an LS2 crate motor and T56. If AIX, a stroker 427 LS2 or LS3 gets the nod along with a Jerico. The car is an ex Speed Vision World Challenge Camaro that I acquired from JR Smith in the Rocky Mountain region. Awesome sorted out car.

This link has both cars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34827785@N02/?saved=1[/img]

AI#97
02-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Oh... I already have plans for the AI or AIX car. Actually, I already have the car. I just need to do a few things to make it ready for AI. If I put it in AI I will go with an LS2 crate motor and T56. If AIX, a stroker 427 LS2 or LS3 gets the nod along with a Jerico. The car is an ex Speed Vision World Challenge Camaro that I acquired from JR Smith in the Rocky Mountain region. Awesome sorted out car.

This link has both cars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34827785@N02/?saved=1[/img]

I don't see a "well sorted" WC car being legal in AI. Most of those cars have had the front frame rails and shock towers cut away which negates use in either series right away. Same thing for the rear floor pans that are usually cut away.

I can't see the pics here at work so I will have to wait till I get home to see just how "sorted" it is! ;)

Oh, and you might want to research the longevity of modified LSX based motors in AI and AIX....it ain't pretty! :shock: :lol:

Hood
02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't see a "well sorted" WC car being legal in AI. Most of those cars have had the front frame rails and shock towers cut away which negates use in either series right away. Same thing for the rear floor pans that are usually cut away.

I've already had John Lindsey look at the car. All mods so far are all AI legal.

Oh, and you might want to research the longevity of modified LSX based motors in AI and AIX....it ain't pretty! :shock: :lol:

Have done that as well. You just have to know the right engine builder. :wink:
The problem with the 'stock' LSX engines is the windage causing a cavitated oil pump pickup. Fortunately AI allows this to be fixed, even on a crate motor. Unfortunately for Patrick Lindsey, he found this out the hard way (5 engines at the Nationals).

AI#97
02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
The problem with the 'stock' LSX engines is the windage causing a cavitated oil pump pickup. Fortunately AI allows this to be fixed, even on a crate motor. Unfortunately for Patrick Lindsey, he found this out the hard way (5 engines at the Nationals).

Call Andy Sutak as well... he is the reason our race was cut short at nationals! ;)

That WC car wasn't well sorted then. Most remove the entire front end from the fire wall forward and run non-stock frame rails. If it's all still stock, it might make a good AI car. I would love to have a 4th gen LS1 trans am like Tommy's but I keep moving toward taking a hiatus from racing for a few years.