PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Choosing the Pole Position

Todd Covini
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
OK...I'll start with the first "RotD"....

CCR 20.3.2 Choosing the pole
The pole sitter does not have the option of choosing the pole, unless otherwise arranged with the Race Director. The Pole sitter side will by default, always go to the inside of the first turn, unless otherwise mandated or approved by the Race Director.

This one surprised me a bit because we ALWAYS give the pole sitter the option. As such, without prior arrangements with your series/race director, the default will be for pole sitter to be on the inside of T1.

mitchntx
03-20-2009, 11:13 AM
OK...I'll start with the first "RotD"....

CCR 20.3.2 Choosing the pole
The pole sitter does not have the option of choosing the pole, unless otherwise arranged with the Race Director. The Pole sitter side will by default, always go to the inside of the first turn, unless otherwise mandated or approved by the Race Director.

This one surprised me a bit because we ALWAYS give the pole sitter the option. As such, without prior arrangements with your series/race director, the default will be for pole sitter to be on the inside of T1.

Cool ... does that mean James is DQed?

GlennCMC70
03-20-2009, 11:36 AM
there is a rule about protest's being filed w/in 30 minutes of the race end. look for that to be Rule of the Day for tomorrow.

BlueFirePony
03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Ooops....so David and I were flipped for R2 then right?!
Or was that worked out with youse guys? David had told me in advance what he was going to do, but then I forgot whether he said inside or outside and so I just radiod to my son that I was going to line up where David *wasn't*.

Todd Covini
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Now, Now Glenn...let's not make RotD a rock throwing exercise. :lol:

I believe James worked out his pole position with the Series Directors and with his #2 guy.

Communication is key....without communication, go to the default. The expectation is that every driver after the Pole Position follows in left-right-left-right...each row doesn't get to pick their position.

There's been some confusion on this in the past. Want everyone to be clear.

MikeP99Z
03-20-2009, 01:30 PM
We had this discussion a few years ago because MSR-C is unique due to where we get the green on the rolling starts. Didn't the guys at Mid-Ohio get a choice?

Todd Covini
03-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Yes. I provided a pole position choice at Mid-Ohio. I believe most series do provide a choice to the polesitter. The rule is simply stating that without prior communications/agreement with the directors, then the default would be to go to the inside (and everyone fall in after).

AllZWay
03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
:D Funny guy that Mitch is...

AI#97
03-20-2009, 09:24 PM
there is a rule about protest's being filed w/in 30 minutes of the race end. look for that to be Rule of the Day for tomorrow.

That rule is bogus when they FINALLY post race results at 10:30pm and have no chance in hell to file a protest because you are asleep!

Sorry, found a grain of sand in my shorts from Nationals...

mitchntx
03-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Matt, that is management's way of of saying sit down and shut up.

Todd Covini
03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/whatever_cat_sticker-p217401798191256048tdcj_210.jpg

David Love AI27
03-23-2009, 10:53 AM
If memory serves me, we had a MANDITORY drivers meeting in which the race director(s) told the pole sitters that they had a choice of lanes and to discuss their choice with the others in the class AND that if someone didn't discuss it (with you) we have done this enough that we should know how to handle it...

BlueFirePony
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
If memory serves me, we had a MANDITORY drivers meeting in which the race director(s) told the pole sitters that they had a choice of lanes and to discuss their choice with the others in the class AND that if someone didn't discuss it (with you) we have done this enough that we should know how to handle it...
So there is no problem right? Pole option was provided, taken, communicated and executed..and thanks to that I had the lead for a whole 1/2 second in R2!! :roll:

Al Fernandez
03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
I think we're perfectly within the rule as we manage it. Certain responsibilities of the Race Director, as defined in the CCR, have been delegated to your Series Director(s) including this one.

That said, I think there is room for improvement. We always announce the pole sitters at our required driver's meeting to decide, and we post the grid for all to see...but we dont write down what the pole sitter decided. I think it'd be easy to write that down on the grid sheet. This way everyone can see not only what cars are around them, but what side of the track they should be on.

Thoughts?

Todd Covini
03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Excellent idea and a perfect example of how we can raise the bar thru some of these discussions!