PDA

View Full Version : Interior Advice

edrock96GT
03-20-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello all,

I posted this in the national forums but was wondering if anyone had more advice for me here.
I am still im the process of transforming my car from a daily driver to a full time track car (since I aquired a daily driver) and I am looking for some advice as to what kind of things I will need in the interior and maybe some pics if available. I'm looking for tihngs like useful gauges, steering wheels/systems, switches, safety equipment, aftermarket dash, etc. or anything else you guys can think of.

I've attached some pics of what I am working with so far. Since the pics were taken I've added 4 point belts, seat back brace, aluminum plates over the dash holes and side mount brackets for the seat. I also plan to clean up the wiring and scrape the crap off the floor.

Thanks guys!

AI#97
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I am glad to see you have the "cage" in there for added safety, but when you are ready to start the build for the AI effort, you are likely going to want to remove it and toss it aside. One, it's not the best designed bar and is missing some key elements for safety and stiffness. You probably already knew that though.

As for the rest, things look like you are on the right track. The full dash is not required and a-pillar guages work just fine.

Beyond things look like you are progressing along nicely.

BlueFirePony
03-20-2009, 09:35 PM
A couple things Eddie:
Harness - you will need more than a 4pt belt...5 pt minimum. I like the Schroth Profi II - 6pt I am currently using...has a single turn release for the belts. Make sure your belts are installed correctly...if you are not 100% ask 'cause I have seen some CRAZY stuff with belts <shudder>

For the fire system you can just go with a hand bottle per the CCR..I know there are different opinions on this but if you do go with a fire system I personally don't think the minimum in the CCR is good enough. I would make sure you have enough volume to drive at least 5 nozzles (3 engine, 1 at driver front and one toward the rear of car). If you can, go with a 4.0L or larger bottle and 6 nozzles with the extra nozzle pointed at the driver from the passenger side. I went with a manual pull and have actually practiced getting in and out of the car, pulling the handle as I go...I have two pulls, one in the middle of the dash where I can reach it from seated position and it can be reached from outside passenger window and another that is at my door where I can easily reach it and it can be reached from driver side window. Too much? Its what I have done.
Matt mentioned the cage...probably the biggest safety cost but don't skimp. The guys on this forum have lots of experience building cages so definately reach out to them when you are ready to get the AI spec cage built.

You will need window and center nets. Lots of new types and configurations out there.

And of course you will need one important exterior piece..your Rookie plate...these guys can help you there too :)

edrock96GT
03-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!

I should have mentioned that the belts are a 5 pt cam lock, I just don't yet have a proper mounting point for the sub strap. I was also taking a look at the fire system you have since it's reasonably priced and a nice system. Now I have some ideas how to mount it :) I was also planing on a good cage and wondered if anyone knew a good builder in the central TX area. I would then have a place to mount the nets as well. As for the dash, I would like to keep the shell (or maybe a hairy glass dash).

Thanks again for the ideas, I'm shceduled to come home on November and would like to plan as much out as possible!

BlueFirePony
03-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I am probably going to keep the dash shell in my car...I thought about making a thin fiberglass shell but this plastic piece fits really well as it is, its sturdy enough, light enough and has all the right cut outs - OK, and I am lazy too :)

jeffburch
03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
I was also planing on a good cage and wondered if anyone knew a good builder in the central TX area. I would then have a place to mount the nets as well. As for the dash, I would like to keep the shell (or maybe a hairy glass dash).

The LaW boys, in Grandbury, Tx.
Can somebody here maybe go get the car and get started?

Have a safe trip home.

jb

GlennCMC70
03-21-2009, 12:55 PM
its a pretty safe bet that we are booked thru the summer.

BlueFirePony
03-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Well that's better than when I tried to get you guys to work on my car...back then it was May and you were booked through end of year!! You must be getting better at this stuff ;)

AI#97
03-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Well that's better than when I tried to get you guys to work on my car...back then it was May and you were booked through end of year!! You must be getting better at this stuff ;)

If I weren't traveling so much lately, I would offer my services. I have had offers to build 3 cages in the last 2 weeks but I just don't have time to do it.

cobra132
03-22-2009, 02:05 PM
As you are in Iraq, I doubt you will make the SVT event this weekend or our NASA April event. If possible, send someone by to take some pics. My SN95 #123 will be at both events. You can get some good ideas. Stay safe. FMR