PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Dead Heat

Todd Covini
03-21-2009, 09:14 PM
CCR 21.6 Dead Heats
In the event of a dead heat, the Race Director may invoke some form of tie breaking system or contest. NASA’s basic philosophy of competition discourages the recognition of “ties,” however should the Race Director determine that the outcome shall be scored as a dead heat (tie), each driver shall be awarded full position finishing points and identical trophies. Should this be the case, all prizes and prize moneys will be split
evenly between the dead heat finishers.

I've seen a few "dead heats" and we've sent the 2 cars back out for a standing start, 2 lap shoot-out to determine the winner!!!

-=- Todd

Hood
03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I've seen a few "dead heats" and we've sent the 2 cars back out for a standing start, 2 lap drive-by shoot-out to determine the winner!!!

-=- Todd

Edited...

Al Fernandez
03-23-2009, 02:36 PM
There's that California lifestyle for you!

Really? I've not witnessed a single dead heat in my time.

AI#97
03-23-2009, 03:02 PM
There's that California lifestyle for you!

Really? I've not witnessed a single dead heat in my time.

Chris Marvel and I came close in 2006 at TWS. I think the difference at the line was the width of the start/finish paint. There have been other closer ones though from years past.

jeffburch
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
We thought we were gonna lose Nick from the heat in May 2005 at Cresson.
108 in the shade iirc.

jb

RichardP
03-23-2009, 04:16 PM
I've not witnessed a single dead heat in my time.

With the number of digits on the modern timing systems, it's possible but very unlikely we would see a dead heat show up. I would guess that dead heats were reasonably common before transponders.

On the other hand, based on the relative positions of the transponders on different cars, I posted the math a while back that showed it was likely that the timing system declared the incorect car the winner of one race at Hallett.

Richard P.

AllZWay
03-23-2009, 04:20 PM
We thought we were gonna lose Nick from the heat in May 2005 at Cresson.
108 in the shade iirc.

jb

Wirtz and I had a really close one at ECR last year.

michaelmosty
03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Misty and I crossed the line .002 seconds apart back in 07 (I think). It was whenever we had the guy that video-taped and was the announcer for the races.
The difference at the stripe looked like about 1 inch. :shock:

Al Fernandez
03-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Given our timing system records up to 0.001, at 120mph thats 2.1". So...should we really ever have a dead heat? I mean, the odds of having the system trip at the exact same time, normalized for transponder location, is pretty remote.