PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Fuel Cell

Todd Covini
03-23-2009, 08:39 PM
....some new stuff for 2009...jus'so'ya'kno :wink:

+++++++++++++
CCR 15.4 Fuel Cell / Tank
As of January 1, 2009 no new logbooks will be issued for vehicles with a fuel cell, unless
the fuel cell is FIA FT3 (or higher) certified. As of January 1, 2012 all fuel cells must be
FIA FT3 (or higher) certified, regardless of the date of purchase or date of the logbook
issuance.
A fuel cell is not required, except as specified by class rules. It is recommended for all
NASA classes, unless specifically listed otherwise. All vehicles having a fuel cell MUST
comply with the rules in this section, even if a fuel cell is not required.
• There must be a solid metal bulkhead completely separating the fuel tank, fuel
pump, fuel cell, filler neck hoses, and/or vent lines, from the driver compartment.
• The cell must contain a bladder that is FIA FT-3 (or higher) rated.
• The cell should be in a container made of at least 0.036-inch steel, 0.059-inch
aluminum, or 0.125-inch Marlex, fully surrounding the bladder.
• Foam internal baffling is required, as per FIA FT3-1999 (or higher).
• The filler cap, line, vents hoses, etc. should be designed so that no fuel will
escape if the car is partially or totally inverted.
• There should be a small drain hole in the outside box to purge fuel trapped
between the bladder and the box.
• Filler necks should not be mounted through a window panel (exceptions may be
made at the discretion of the Chief Scrutineer).
• The competitor is responsible for ensuring that the cell, bladder, and components
are installed, maintained, and replaced per the manufacturer’s instructions and in
accordance with applicable sections of the CCR.
• The bladder has a date of manufacture and serial number. The competitor is
responsible to note this in the front of the logbook.
• Bladders older than 5 years should not be used, no exceptions.
• As a January 1, 2009 the competitor will be responsible for showing proof of the
age of the bladder. It is highly recommended that the receipt for the purchase of
the bladder (or entire cell) be stored with the Vehicle Logbook.

David Love AI27
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Note to self... keep the original fuel tank...

Wirtz
03-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Just brillant how they managed to take a good piece of saftey gear and turn it in to an even more expensive situation and make it a pain in the ass on top of it. I feel much safer with a stock tank....

You know, I heard metal can rust. I think we need to be cutting out the roll cages every 5 years and redoing them, you know, just to be safe.

mitchntx
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
This ROTD is a great idea!

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/catcorn.jpg

Rob Liebbe
03-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Keep it down or they might start requiring fuel cells.

evarner
03-24-2009, 12:12 PM
We shouldn't be able to spell NASA with these letters: S C C and A

8) :lol:

Al Fernandez
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree that the revised 5 year limit on fuel cell bladders is very unfortunate. Given that, if I was building new I'd stick with a stock tank.

FYI the manufacturers issue proof of age certificates when you buy entire assemblies or bladders. I can show you an example at the next event as I keep mine with my log book now. Dont buy a car with a cell without one, or keep in mind the cost of replacement.

Todd Covini
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM

I'm not trying to spark fear & angst among folks. Nothing's worse than learning about a rule at the track in impound.

I'll try to pick softer, kinder rules in the days ahead. :-)
It's all about the learnin'.

BlueFirePony
03-24-2009, 08:53 PM

I'm not trying to spark fear & angst among folks. Nothing's worse than learning about a rule at the track in impound.

I'll try to pick softer, kinder rules in the days ahead. :-)
It's all about the learnin'.
Hey I like this ROTD idea...in fact its guaranteed that I'll be poking back here from time to time just for the learnin'

King Matt
03-26-2009, 07:57 PM
We shouldn't be able to spell NASA with these letters: S C C and A

8) :lol:
Sorry, just had to chime in on this one. SCCA doesn't have a five-year rule on fuel cells, and probably won't any time soon since half the cars who race with them are formula cars that require $1000+ custom cell bladders. But most of them are running leaded race gas that is more stable than pump gas and the cells really don't deteriote if they are properly maintained. My new Formula Vee has a 12 year old cell that looks brand new. I would be pissed if I had to spend over $750 to replace it just because of a date stamped on it.

evarner
03-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Sorry, just had to chime in on this one. SCCA doesn't have a five-year rule on fuel cells, and probably won't any time soon since half the cars who race with them are formula cars that require $1000+ custom cell bladders. But most of them are running leaded race gas that is more stable than pump gas and the cells really don't deteriote if they are properly maintained. My new Formula Vee has a 12 year old cell that looks brand new. I would be pissed if I had to spend over $750 to replace it just because of a date stamped on it.

Good to know, thx.

scottysspeedshop
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
This rule is going to keep me out for awhile. :twisted: Not a good way to get new drivers if you ask me.I hope to make Hallett :D

RichardP
03-27-2009, 02:10 PM

The fuel cell issue is a sticky one. Replacing perfectly good parts because of a silly date is a huge waste. We’re already doing that with other, less expensive, safety equipment.

On the other hand, unchecked fuel cells do have the potential to be very dangerous. Fuel cells are supposed to be impervious to “normal” pump gas. The reality is that you never really have a clue what is in the stuff you put in your tank. It can vary by season and the government/fuel companies are always messing with new stuff to make it “better.”

There was an issue a couple of years ago in a professional race series where the fuel was eating the cells away in a matter of months, not years. That means that even a five year old unchecked bladder has a real possibility of being dangerous.

Matt, I’m glad your 12 year old cell looks great and that you don’t have to replace it. Actually, I’m mostly glad that you bothered to check it. Here are some pictures of a 13 year old cell that someone pulled out when they found their car peeing on the ground.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/95r2kr/Picture1062.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/95r2kr/Picture1074-1.jpg

These pictures scare me. I’ve included a picture of what one looks like new for reference.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/95r2kr/Picture1259.jpg

Richard P.