PDA

View Full Version : MSRH Weekend

cjlmlml
05-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I dont have time to write a full description here. I had a very rough weekend , and the only thing that made it better was the help I received from my wife Sharon, and the parts and help I received from just about everyone in AI & CMC. I couldnt ask for a better bunch of people to hang out with. They say a man is measured by his friends and that is true.

Thanks to all.

Damage report to follow, maybe.

Mike Bell
05-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Chris, like I said at the track I was very relieved to hear/see that you were OK. From my vantage point it was a very scary off and I wasn't sure how you made out. While I was sorry to see your car damaged you did a great job getting it back out on track to salvage the race weekend.

Fences can be mended, or so Marvel has told me. ;)

cmarvel
05-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah, but I think I should have held out for the "group buy" pricing. I heard the price went down :wink:

Adam Ginsberg
05-22-2006, 12:03 PM
So, should chainlink fence and fence posts be part of the AI "spares box" from now on?? :lol:

While I didn't see CL's off, looking at the damage was a bummer. However, it was great to see the pits gather up to help out. I think Jeff Brooks spent as much time helping fix CL's car as he did his own.

Same can be said for those who helped get JuanPablo Burch back in the saddle for R2. We don't let folks give up that fast!!! :D

And before I forget.....SchuVarner is no longer allowed to borrow my parts. He always comes out and beats me with them!

MikeP99Z
05-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I'd take the chain link fence any day...

donovan
05-22-2006, 12:28 PM
CL, well... It was amazing that the car went out to have a decent finish in Race 3...

and I'm really sorry about the 50psi tire... I just can't believe that between me having it swapped and mounted none of us thought to check the pressure...

I feel pretty bad about it... but at least now you know what too much pressure feels like on track!!!

David D.

y5e06
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
So, should chainlink fence and fence posts be part of the AI "spares box" from now on??

I'm sure Corey has a spare 50' roll and posts tucked away in his trailer somewhere....

jeffburch
05-22-2006, 12:31 PM
CL, well... It was amazing that the car went out to have a decent finish in Race 3...

and I'm really sorry about the 50psi tire... I just can't believe that between me having it swapped and mounted none of us thought to check the pressure...

I feel pretty bad about it... but at least now you know what too much pressure feels like on track!!!

David D.
Might have been the hood pin fairy!

jb

David Love AI27
05-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Lessons learned:

1.) There are many different reasons for tire rub and beating the hell out of the wheel well may not solve the problem.

2.) Panhard bars are necessary on my car. If it is damaged, do NOT remove it completely. A damaged suspension component is better than removing said component completely.

3.) Autozone brakes can be used as a backup pad and still get you through a race weekend but you will lose a second or two on your lap times.

4.) Vacuum brake boosters require vacuum. It is a good idea to secure ALL vacuum line connections. Rubber hose slid over metal tubeing is NOT a secure connection.

5a.) Going into a sharp corner off of a high speed straight can be very scarey when you have NO brake boost, however, it is always nice to have the road to pit in as a runoff area. 5b.) In case of brake failure your car will slow down if you turn it sideways. 5c.) Brake failure can result in lumps forming in your shorts and may invoke comments from you family like: "what is that smell???" or "are we down wind from the porta potty???" and or "DAD, you need to buy me a new driver's suit, mine smells like crap!!!!".

6.) It is always a good idea to attend the drivers meeting even if you are just the "backup" (pun intended) driver. You never know when another race group will be starting a few seconds ahead of you. If you are asking you self "what is wrong with all these idiots??" it is a good idea to look in the mirror and see who the "real" idiot is. Score on standing starts: 0 for 3, 1 late start, 1 start in reverse, 1 VERY premature start. Get your cameras ready the next one will be great.

7.) Lessons learned from #6: if you are gonna screwup a standing start, do it from the back and ALWAYS plan an escape route.

there are many other lessons learned but I will add them to my LiiR team race report.

I enjoyed racing with you CMCers. If anyone feels I messed up their race or chance for a better finish, PLEASE tell me!!! All the AI/AIX guys leave me behind and I can always back off and run around in the back, it won't change the finishing order for me.

AI#97
05-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I think this weekend's racing was probably the tightest the entire AI field has EVER been in my 1.5 years watching it and now 4 events racing in it!

Race 1, aside from the 1.5" hole in my header and the forgetting to weigh issue was an absolute blast! More amazing was the great start I got from the back of the pack! Kudos to all in the turn 1 funnel!

Race 2, David D, you put up one hell of a race my friend and to date, that was the funnest I have had in this car! You drove the race of your life man and I had a front row seat and can kick myself for not having the camera in the car.... :x

JG, mike bell told me in the first race of the year that at some point I was going to have to learn to pass a faster car....well, thanks for helping me learn one way to do it this weekend... :wink: I don't think I will get that opportunity ever again!

Race 3, Chris L, you need to drive that car through a fence more often man because I threw everything I had at you to get by and ended up overdriving the car. My rear tires tought me a lessen about just how much abuse they will take! :wink: So far it looks like a bent axle but I will dive into it tonight.

I am putting a plan together to hopefully have done before Hallet which will entail weight loss, some new aero work, a ballast box and going to uncork the motor a little! Be afraid!

Mike Bell
05-22-2006, 01:35 PM
JG, mike bell told me in the first race of the year that at some point I was going to have to learn to pass a faster car....well, thanks for helping me learn one way to do it this weekend... :wink: I don't think I will get that opportunity ever again!

Uh, not exactly. I told you a story about how the infamous Chris Marvel told me once "You need to learn to to pass a faster car." lol.

Looks like you may have figured it out? I'm still trying to figure out what the heck Chris meant with that little gem. :shock:

Chris is always confusing me like that............ :lol:

chicane23
05-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Matt, I had a an very bad handling car on Sat. and you had a good one! Great Job!

David D. you are the man, great racing. Note to self: Stop giving David D. advise. ;-)

Great job guys!

AI#97
05-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Matt, I had a an very bad handling car on Sat. and you had a good one! Great Job!

Great job guys!

Like I said man, I don't think I am going to get that opportunity again but I will certainly bring my A game. Now I just need to start tuning the suspension.....I haven't done anything to the car other than raise the rear ride height since I built it....there MUST be more in there! :wink: