PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Lessons

Fbody383
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Nice job in R1 working your way up. Good patience in bad conditions.

Nice "woohoo" in R2 ;)

Are you running a rear brake bias valve? The car seemed a bit unhappy under braking... I'm not sure what the balance is like on a stock 4th gen and of course the track conditions make it a bit more difficult to tell.

A bit unhappy under braking? I was right behind and was afraid to pass. It was not about if he was going to spin but when. James just drove up to me and went right by but he had not been watching what I had. The car would lock up the front going into every turn and then lose the rear on exit. I will say when David gets the car zoned in he is gonna be fast.......mad car control skills. Right after the race I went to David and said something I had no business saying. I told him he was driving way over his head and he was going to hurt someone or himself. He said "well that's your opinion".
You know I love ya David. Sorry, I'll keep my mouth shut next time if there is one.
JJ

I repost this from the other thread for a couple of reasons; 1) that the competitors in this group know I'm serious about my on-track conduct and 2) there is always room for feedback and consequences if necessary.

Round 2 was an interesting challenge for many of us; new cars and drivers, new track, slippery conditions, multiple tire compounds, contact, etc.

I orginally took Jerry's comments, as relayed through a series director somewhat personally. Jerry, to his defense, quickly approached me and in no uncertain terms, politely expressed his concerns. He was firm in his statements but I took it to be out of his concern for us both. If he is in fact, "afraid to pass" another driver, then a conversation is in order. And the offending driver forever banished from the motorhome.

I KNEW I had driven safely in challenging conditions. Jerry KNEW I had driven over my head and that the lack of a spin or contact was not proof of adquate control. We may both be right but, in Houston I made a last turn pass under Steve, not for class position, that was unnecessary. Steve told me so and I learned from it.

Through my licensing review I asked Michael and Al several times to let me know if someone was concerned about my driving. I told them when I was comfortable and when I was not. I chose to start race 1 from the back because of the conditions but felt comfortable moving up during the race.

I will also express that I think this works both ways; if an experienced driver comes out of nowhere, the newer driver may end up somewhere other than where you expected. I've watched my in-car footage a couple times and won't leave the same doors open again, Messrs Varner and Proctor.

In short, I want to know. If you're uncomfortable talking to me directly, please let Al, Glenn, Michael, etc. know. I want to run up front, door to door knowing the guy/gal next to me is comfortable being there.

ShadowBolt
03-30-2009, 04:01 PM
David,

Just so you know, I never said a word to Todd. I saw you talking to him and I waited until you two were through before I approached you. I had no idea what your conversation with Todd was about. If someone said something to Todd it was not me. Todd gave me a dirty look (or I thought it was) when he heard what I was saying to you. In race 2 (the one I talked to you about) it looked to me like you were going to spin going in and coming out of every turn. I was impressed you held on to it as long as you did. By the way you did way beter in the wet (race one) than I ever could have. I'll race with you I'm not sceeeeeered.

I missed the first time I read it. "And the offending driver forever banished from the motorhome". Not ture!

JJ

AllZWay
03-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Dave... for a rookie in your first real weekend, I thought you did fine....but just remember to race those in your class....not that you have to pull over and stop....just be mindful of those that are not in the same class as you.

BTW.. I am in CMC-2....out of class to you. :wink:

mitchntx
03-30-2009, 06:02 PM
David, first and foremost ... Jerry was just about as scarey his first weekend ... and I'm sure I was as well. Glenn and Al are ALWAYS scarey, so they don't count.

No one and I mean no one in this group means ANYTHING personal when they are discussing on-track antics. EVERYTHING should be taken as constructive criticism.

Remember, for a while after coming off track, endorphins are running amock and thoughts find their way past vocal chords before the brain has a chance to engage.

I watched your car get all out of shape in places I didn't think it was possible to get out of shape. It appeared to me that you weren't transitioning very smooth from the brake to the gas and from the gas to the brake.

When you get R888s, this transitioning will be more critical. Conversations I've recently had with drivers from other regions in and out of CMC class all kind of say the same thing ... R888s don't to be muscled and slid like we are all used to using the RA1s. It's taken a significant chassis and driver adjustment to get the R888s down to RA1 times.

ShadowBolt
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
"Jerry was just about as scarey his first weekend"

Yes I still hold the tankslapper record at MSRH. Right infront of Mitch. Mitch is correct about how scarey I was. I was convinced I was better than I was and trying to keep up with these fast Texas guys had me all over the place.

JJ

Todd Covini
03-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Good post Mitch. There's a reason rookies wear rookie plates. David you did great your first weekend and now after seeing your video, you did start to drive over your head a little bit. (constructive criticism) The first 3 or 4 turns where she was gettin' squirrelly were a sign to reel it back a little bit...but that great AI race ahead of you kept your foot into it. Seemed like a matter of time before those screamin' tires were goin' to give up the ghost...and they did. Great learnin' lesson, and I'd race you anytime.

Sheesh Jerry, you mentioned my name nearly 5 times in that post. :lol: I wasn't mad at anyone but after Glenn's contact wanted to learn more. If I appeared concerned it was for 2 reasons:

1) Lots of sensitivity around when a seasoned vet (or National Champion) gets into a rookie in his first weekend out. You've been on the receiving end of one of those deals.

2) In addition to #1, there's a lot of sensitivity around outcasting someone, especially a rookie, for on track mistakes. We all make them and need to learn by them, but the last thing we want is that someone in the group doesn't feel welcome because of a misjudgement or mistake. Whenever I see the mob mentality, you'll typically see me (or one of your directors) rushing to "the other guy" to get to the bottom of what's going on. I was concerned with how David was taking the feedback. Being new to the group can be a bit overwhelming...the racing...and the personalities. As a group, we all have to be conscious of that. Remember your first weekend, and treat the rookies how you were or how you hoped to be treated.

That's all...we're good...it all worked out in the end. Glenn's rookie weekend wasn't exactly a cakewalk and neither was Jerry's. Both of them are considered veterans now....glad you guys came back! :wink:

"Todd"

Fbody383
03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys; I appreciate the comments. I keep reminding myself I have a whopping two weekends ever in the car.

I know I have some things on the car I want to change and the loose nut behind the wheel always needs adjusting.

Not sure what James is talking about, he's never been around my car long enough to worry about racing. Of course The Duece is only a restrictor plate away.

Mitch, I'll put that in the processor; but I'm slow enough you guys will give me the RA1 exemption, yeah? And you got a 3.42 gear set you wanna let go of?

Todd, fair point. I was certainly over driving the car given its current setup. I also never sensed anything more than genuine concern from the group.

Since Jerry says I still have a place to sleep, let's race.

mitchntx
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
And you got a 3.42 gear set you wanna let go of?

I have racks and racks of T2R equipped 10 bolts of varying gear ratios that I can't give away ...

Rookies ... :roll:

BlueFirePony
03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
I know my two biggest problems are overdriving as the fox and driving my mirror as the rabbit. I think I am doing good in the racing part...its the chasing part I need work at ;)

David, from one Rookie to another it did seem you were overdriving the car to catch us. I think if you had just paced yourself a bit more you might have passed me at some point in R2...you were catching me several times and I had a lot more gear and engine coming out of the turns than you.

Just curious...what's the tank slapper record at MSR-C? I got 4 during qual ;)

jeffburch
03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I have racks and racks of T2R equipped 10 bolts of varying gear ratios that I can't give away ...
Do I still have dibbs on one for my cmc2 <barph> conversion?

thx,
jb

GlennCMC70
03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
David, you will nobe able to just slap 3.42's in that diff. the posi you have is whats refered to as a "2 series" carrier and will only accept 2.73 and 3.23 rear gears. to get to the 3.42's, you will need a 3 series carrier. any 7.5 inch diff posi will work.

Hood
03-31-2009, 07:24 AM

Oh yeah? How 'bout tossin' one in the TWS bound trailer, say about a 3.42 ratio? Are these all 4th gen length? If so, I'll have to get a set of 4th gen offset wheels for the rear. Other option is to buy the Ford axle housing ends and bearings and shorten to taste.

Let's talk...

AllZWay
03-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Not sure what James is talking about, he's never been around my car long enough to worry about racing. Of course The Duece is only a restrictor plate away.

Nothing in particular...just that you said you weren't going to let me by easy next time. :wink:

Fbody383
03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
David, you will nobe able to just slap 3.42's in that diff. the posi you have is whats refered to as a "2 series" carrier and will only accept 2.73 and 3.23 rear gears. to get to the 3.42's, you will need a 3 series carrier. any 7.5 inch diff posi will work.

Yep, aware of that, but appreciate the tech. Starting more serious hunt for complete rear. I know of 2 series compatible 3.42 gear sets but it's a push on price to a complete used rear end.

Fbody383
03-31-2009, 01:52 PM

Nothing in particular...just that you said you weren't going to let me by easy next time. :wink:

Duece? Point by? Duece? Point by?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

How about I address the car issues and more seat time first.

evarner
03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
..more seat time first.

Not specific to one individual, but as a whole.

Priceless.. priceless.. priceless

Jeremy Gunter
03-31-2009, 07:14 PM
I sure am happy I joined this group. Not many racing series would deal with us rookies as kindly as you guys do, it's what makes this regional series what it is.

mitchntx
04-01-2009, 07:54 AM
I sure am happy I joined this group. Not many racing series would deal with us rookies as kindly as you guys do, it's what makes this regional series what it is.

I'm speaking for Todd here ... but we don't see you as rookies as much as pesky little brothers that keep nagging and nagging the crap out of till we bitch slap you into next week.

Then the next crop of rookies shows and the process starts again.

8)

Todd Covini
04-01-2009, 08:21 AM
"Don't put words in my mouth."

Fbody383
04-01-2009, 10:51 AM

You got parts, I got cash... still owe you for the exhaust manifold you won't let me pay for.

Jeremy Gunter
04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm speaking for Todd here ... but we don't see you as rookies as much as pesky little brothers that keep nagging and nagging the crap out of till we bitch slap you into next week.

pesky little brothers? are you talking about the little brothers that one day you pick on them and they kick the crap outta ya? :lol:

michaelmosty
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM

pesky little brothers? are you talking about the little brothers that one day you pick on them and they kick the crap outta ya? :lol:
My money is on Mitch. 8)

Fbody383
04-02-2009, 01:48 PM

My money is on Mitch. 8)

I'll take Jeremy...

Six pack of Keystone on the line.

AI#97
04-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I'll take Jeremy...

Six pack of Keystone on the line.

Yeah, he would be all over mitch like a spider monkey on a big ol' bear. :P

Alien
04-02-2009, 05:03 PM
My money's on the bear...

What's the quote? Old age and and treachery beating youth and skill?

Jeremy Gunter
04-02-2009, 07:28 PM
this wasn't supposed to be a challenge between Mitch and I. I was trying to say those pesky little brothers (aka Rookies) were pretty fast this year and if he's not careful they are going to get faster.

But I rarely stand down to any challenge no matter my odds...

mitchntx
04-02-2009, 07:38 PM
<=== pacificist

Fbody383
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Old age and and treachery beating youth and skill?

Close...

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance."

David Love AI27
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Old age and and treachery beating youth and skill?

Close...

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and exuberance."

guess i forgot about the treachery part.... the old age is covered..

evarner
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
oops..wrong post

Al Fernandez
04-06-2009, 02:14 PM
There is no way on earth that Mitch could kick Jeremy's ass.

Jeremy can run MUCH faster than Mitch can. :lol:

mitchntx
04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Good point, Al. But with age comes strategy. He has to come back to his car some time ...

Actually, Jeremy is a good person. Another 1/2 day of de-toxing and de-programming and we'd have him in F-Body.

Todd Covini
04-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Actually, Jeremy is a good person. Another 1/2 day of de-toxing and de-programming and we'd have him in F-Body.

I heard it was the castration that made him not want to fully go thru with the transition. :lol:

Jeremy Gunter
04-06-2009, 07:04 PM

I heard it was the castration that made him not want to fully go thru with the transition. :lol:

Actually, it was the whole bowing to Mr. March that turned me away... 8)

Todd Covini
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
..more seat time first.

Not specific to one individual, but as a whole.

Priceless.. priceless.. priceless

And if you're not going to take it from Varner, take it from McDreamy.

http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/news/index.cfm?cid=21426