PDA

View Full Version : Bob Liebbe's Triumphant Return to Road Racing

Rob Liebbe
03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Most of you have met my dad at the track. He really enjoys watching us race and seeing how much fun we all have. He has also been a wonderful supporter of my efforts in CMC. But what most may not know is that he used to road race a 289 Cobra back in the 60's for a privateer team. He even ran at Green Valley Raceway near Ft. Worth. The old timers will remember it. He has not been in a race car since then, until this past weekend at the Track Guys event at TWS.

I instructed him on Saturday in his Lexus LS430 and turned him loose in my race car for three sessions on Sunday.

On his first session I followed in the Lexus. I was able to keep up easily for the first two laps. The third lap took more effort to keep up. I gave up on the fourth lap, he was gone!

On his second session, I borrowed Bud Sharp's excellent street car. I was working pretty hard and came in early while he stayed out.

On his third session, I didn't even try and just cut him loose. Turns out it was the last session of the day and they let it run long. David Love realized what was going on and jumped in Misty's car to go have some fun with him. Upon returning to this pits, my dad said "too much fun, this is going to get expensive". Very cool.

This video is from the third session.

http://www.vimeo.com/3948397

Now I know where my driving skills come from. I inherited them from my dad!!!

Todd Covini
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Too cool! Where's that Liebbe Racing Series pic when you need it!!!

jeffburch
03-31-2009, 09:50 PM
That's really cool.
Tell him I said good show!

jb

Wirtz
03-31-2009, 10:09 PM
Very cool. Is that a two car team in your future? :shock:

AI#97
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Very cool Rob!

I wish I could put my dad into my car. He is the reason I got started in this stuff in the first place when I was a kid, and he too did some amateur racing/time trials in the late 60's early 70's in Indiana with the SCCA.

Sadly, he is just so much smaller than I am, it would take a TON of work to get him into the car and I am a little worried about his eyesight! I do want to get the passenger seat in the car and would like to take him out for a wild ride soon! I just can't ever get him to show up on the weekends at any event other than Cresson. Maybe Hallett!

AllZWay
04-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Very cool Rob... I want to let my Dad take my car out also.

I have thought about letting him take out my street car for a weekend.

David Love AI27
04-01-2009, 08:06 AM
That is so cool... I was tellin' my Mom, yesterday, that it is too bad my Dad is so sick cuz I would love for him to participate/support... then she reminded me that eventhough my dad is sick he wouldn't support my efforts cuz he never supported anything I did :cry: ... oh well, as long as you guys keep bringing your parents I'll have surrogates to lean on...

It is so cool to see the real families supporting the racing family...

BSharp
04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
It was good to see your dad again. My dad flies planes (he has a Thorp T18, a fast 2 seater) and it scares the crap out of me to fly in it. Last year I gave him a ride in my car at Hallett and he seemed to have fun. Later I heard from my mom that I scared to crap out of him. :)

Alien
04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
So if I'm hearing this right, there is going to be an AI/CMC early Father's day race (a la powder puff) at Hallet?

David Love AI27
04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
So if I'm hearing this right, there is going to be an AI/CMC early Father's day race (a la powder puff) at Hallet?

Great idea!!! my car will be available for any dad to drive...

ShadowBolt
04-01-2009, 09:22 AM

I assume Jay and I can compete?

JJ

michaelmosty
04-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Very cool Rob, glad to hear your dad had so much fun!! When are we going to see the 2nd car?

cjlmlml
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
WAY TO GO BOB!

AllZWay
04-01-2009, 09:38 AM

My Dad used to race my dirt track car in the Mechanics Races.

He has a pretty good itch to get in the car and see what he can do.

chris-CMC#35
04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
He is the reason I got started in this stuff in the first place when I was a kid, and he too did some amateur racing/time trials in the late 60's early 70's in Indiana with the SCCA.

Ditto. Some of you met my dad when I was running in Texas. He raced an Austin-Healey Sprite in SCCA in the late 60s early 70s. Whet my appetite, and it never went away.

He and my brother will be at Hallett this year, which is why I reconfigured the passenger side over the winter: the seat will now fit, and it has brand new safety harnesses. HPDE group 4 here I come!

-chris

michaelmosty
04-01-2009, 07:33 PM
HPDE group 4 here I come!

-chris
Great to hear Chris. Hopefully there will be a comp. license student I can go out with and do a "lead/follow" for at the same time. :D

BryanL
04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Love the quote after he got out of the car. He needs an F-body though.
Would love to have my dad at the track more but he will never be in a car.