PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Passing

Todd Covini
04-03-2009, 08:37 AM
CCR Rule 25.4.1 - Passing General
The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the
overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed
and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors
or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or
penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper
overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when
Car A’s rear bumper is ahead of Car B’s front bumper. “NO PASSING” means a pass
cannot even be initiated. Any overlap in a NO PASSING area is considered illegal.

HoustonNW
04-04-2009, 12:06 AM
As a lurker that hopes to join CMC within a year or two, I find that rule almost incorrect, or maybe NASCAR.

Here is the one that I find more important:

25.4.3 Right to the Line

The driver in front has the right to choose any line, so long as not to be considered
blocking. The driver attempting to make a pass shall have the right to the line when their
front wheel is next to the driver of the other vehicle. Note: This rule may be superseded
by class specific rules.

Todd Covini
04-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Hi Wayne,
Welcome! and we hope to see you out there soon. Both rules are accurate and necessary. When you join the group, one of your friendly directors will likely go over "The Evolution of a Pass".

The rule I quoted determines when "the pass" starts & when it ends.
The rule you quoted gets into the specifics of who's in the right and when during the pass.

You'll find that here in Texas, our AI/CMC racers can go 4, 5 or 6 turns side by side and some of the best "racers" have come out of our region. See you soon!

-=- Todd

David Love AI27
04-04-2009, 07:40 AM
our AI/CMC racers can go 4, 5 or 6 turns side by side
-=- Todd

Heck, I thought THAT was a rule...

jeremiahkellam
04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I thought it was 4, 5 or 6 WIDE through the turn...

BlueFirePony
04-04-2009, 09:14 AM
our AI/CMC racers can go 4, 5 or 6 turns side by side
-=- Todd

Heck, I thought THAT was a rule...
As a rookie I found more fun (educational?) than just 4 wide was the fact that there could be 3 or four "evolutions of a pass" going on at the same turn at the same time. If one of the drivers attempting a pass just "chooses a line" without really being aware of the other "evolutions", s/he he and 4 or 5 other cars are going to be balled up.

With Great power (rule 25.4.3) comes Great responsibility
(9 On Course Conduct
Per the NASA CCR, any driver displaying rough, negligent, or unsportsmanlike conduct will receive harsh penalties, which may include loss of points, suspension and/or fines at the discretion of NASA officials).

Fbody383
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
As a lurker that hopes to join CMC within a year or two...

Be sure to take time to come hang out with the group. I made several '08 events just to talk to folks, look at cars and soak up the fun.

Good group of us rookies this year so get in while we're still slow. 8)

Remeber, to pass the car in front of you it's easer to go around rather than over, under or through... <<poke the beast>>

BlueFirePony
04-06-2009, 07:07 PM
As a lurker that hopes to join CMC within a year or two...

Remeber, to pass the car in front of you it's easer to go around rather than over, under or through... <<poke the beast>>

I am just glad he figured out how to pass by the time he caught up to me <<<poking beast more>>>>

GlennCMC70
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
no comment till after probation is over.

HoustonNW
04-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Be sure to take time to come hang out with the group. I made several '08 events just to talk to folks, look at cars and soak up the fun.

Good group of us rookies this year so get in while we're still slow. 8)

I'll be at TWS in April, my first Time Trial (TTC in an '07 Mustang GT) if I can get approved. Thanks for the invite, but I'm afraid that you CMC guys will want to get rid of me before the weekend is over with all of my questions.

As of right now I'll be there on Friday for the Test & Tune and back on Sunday for the four TT sessions.

If I can find just one more conflict for Saturday - I'm up to three - I might call the whole thing off!

Fbody383
04-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the invite, but I'm afraid that you CMC guys will want to get rid of me before the weekend is over with all of my questions.

Not possible and you wouldn't be the first. Be sure to bring a camera to take pictures too.

Heck, you can even do check rides in a Camry. (http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2248&start=6&end=6)

GlennCMC70
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
CCR Rule 25.4.1 - Passing General
The responsibility for the decision to pass another car, and to do it safely, rests with the
overtaking driver. The overtaken driver should be aware that he/she is being passed
and must not impede the pass by blocking. A driver who does not watch his/her mirrors
or who appears to be blocking another car seeking a pass may be black-flagged and/or
penalized. The act of passing is initiated when the trailing car’s (Car A) front bumper
overlaps with the lead car’s (Car B) rear bumper. The act of passing is complete when
Car A’s rear bumper is ahead of Car B’s front bumper. “NO PASSING” means a pass
cannot even be initiated. Any overlap in a NO PASSING area is considered illegal.

i think its time to do overhead vid of this and host it on you tube.