PDA

View Full Version : Great Time at MSR-H

dirwin
05-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Had a great time running with all of you AI/CMC guys/gal in Houston. Kind of nice to get a roof and a halo cage over my head. With all that has happened the last few months with the Factory Five Cobra's I am glad to be able to retire that car to the street/show and find a group with some car count that really likes to race.

Our cars handled like pigs, but it was fun.

Thanks again, I look forward to seeing everbody again at Hallett.

Dave Irwin

marshall_mosty
05-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Dave,
I really enjoyed chasing you during R3 on Sunday. It was nice to have a nice car to follow. You are really putting down some power!

Adam Ginsberg
05-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Dave - it was great to see both '05 BIW's out on the track, tearing up the tarmac. We look forward to seeing all 3 on track soon!

If you have any questions/issues/etc, don't hesitate to contact myself or Todd. Email is http://www.shrackracing.com/email.jpg.

dirwin
05-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Marshall,

It was fun. I did get a dyno run today on a local Mustang Dyno (I know it doesn't count, just wanting some kind of baseline, but we don't have a Dynojet in east Texas) 358 hp 377 lbft torque was the high of 3 pulls. I am going to wag the car to Dallas in the next couple of weeks and get it on a legal dyno so that I can run AI. These cars are not AIX cars. The 86 car should be about the same horsepower, the engines are identical.

Adam,

Glad to finally get mine out on the track and try to race it. The third car might be a while. Until we dial the handling on these we are not even going to start on the other. It only took me 3.5 weeks to build these 2 so once we figure out how to make them handle, it won't take long on the third car.

Dave

AI#97
05-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Marshall,

It was fun. I did get a dyno run today on a local Mustang Dyno (I know it doesn't count, just wanting some kind of baseline, but we don't have a Dynojet in east Texas) 358 hp 377 lbft torque was the high of 3 pulls.

Add around 10 - 12% to the power on a dynojet...putting you around 400/422....car is going to have to weight 3800lbs...

Sounds all about right if you guys bought the 450hp 351 crate engines....

Good luck and see you at Hallet...hopefully in the rear view!!!!

donovan
05-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Dave,

I had a fun time racing both of you... we did not have any long battles, but the quick ones we had were fun. I look forward to racing with you and the others.

Be sure to let Spencer know that there are no hard feeling about the love taps he gave me in Race 2. 8)

I look forward to running with you guys!

David Donovan

edited to fix typo!

dirwin
05-23-2006, 06:47 AM
David,

No or now? :shock:

Matt,

They are the 420 horse crates and the dyno operator here told me I would lose around 2% on a Dynojet 248. I wish there was a 248 around east Texas. All these different dyno's have huge differences in results so we will have to see.

Dave

donovan
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
David,

Dave

That was a huge typo! corrected!
That was funny!

AI#97
05-23-2006, 12:40 PM
David,

Matt,

They are the 420 horse crates and the dyno operator here told me I would lose around 2% on a Dynojet 248. I wish there was a 248 around east Texas. All these different dyno's have huge differences in results so we will have to see.

Dave
Just as an example....a car making 240/296 on a DJ248 will/has made 210's/260's..... The two types are totally different as the mustang dyno is a loaded dyno and the DJ248 in an intertia dyno. Granted the Mustang dyno's load can be varied with programming but typically an out of the box mustang dyno reads significantly lower than a DJ.....

either way good luck and look forward to racing with you guys.

DynoJoe
05-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Actually, they don't read Lower due to the Dyno itself. It reads lower due to the fact that you can input the weight of the car and the PAU (train Brake) loads the drums with the force of the weight of the car, Making the car have to spin the the drums that equall the weight of the car. What you get is a "real world" dyno tune or check. On a Dynojet the rollers or drums are not loaded to the weight of the car. this is why the HP/TQ numbers are higher on dynojets not equipted with the PAU.

Just a little help to clairfy this on Dyno's.

When I do tuning it is done on the road or on a Mustang Dyno. this way I know when I'm done on the Dyno I know the car will act the same way and have the same A/F on the road as it did on the dyno. With Dynojets I typically set the A/F 1/2 point lower than what It should be at due to the fact that once the car hits the road it will typically go up 1/2 point. Meaning if I want a 13.2 A/F on a N/A car , on a Mustang Dyno I can set it at 13.2 and be done, with a dynojet I usually set it at 12.5-12.7 because when the car gets on the road , 9 out of 10 times it will go up to the desired 13.2 A/F with the extra weight that the car didn't have to push on the dyno.