PDA

View Full Version : excessive pilot bearing failure?

GlennCMC70
04-10-2009, 10:03 PM
i put in a new pilot bearing durring the off season. i ran two event weekends now and durring the last weekend i had that familiar high speed drivetrain vibration. so i pulled the trans today and the pilot bearing has a ton of slop on the tip of the input shaft. it even has a nice lip on the far inside edge where the input shaft doesnt reach. could a lack of lube cause this? too much lube? i checked the input shaft and i dont feel what i would call "too much" slop. i have tried a roller and a bronze bushing w/ pretty much the same results.

any ideas before i slap a new one in tomorrow?

Shortcutsleeping
04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
An old school trans guy showed me a long time ago to take a bit of wheel bearing grease and put it on the tip of the input shaft that mates to the pilot bearing. Then, with your fingers, get every bit that you can back off. That fine film that is left is all that you need.

Now, if you are using the HD roller pilot bearings and killing them that fast then you indeed have too much input shaft play on the trans...at least that'd be first on my list to fix. Can you reshim up the input like you can on a t5 to take up the slack for wear?

Costas
cars and such...

GlennCMC70
04-10-2009, 10:35 PM
i've never rebuilt a T-56 and i'm not going to try it before the 8 hour enduro in a week from now. the bearing is worn like a 1/16" larger than the input shaft. and the shaft in no way moves that much. you cant see the slop in the shaft, only feel it.

Hood
04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, it sounds more like a misalignment problem. Has the engine been rebuilt before? If so, if care isn't taken, the crankshaft can move off center due to a crappy align boring operation. The mismatch doesn't have to be much to cause a heavily side-loaded pilot bearing. There isn't much at this point that you can do if it is a misalignment problem... just keep putting in new pilot bearings. I recommend that you re-install a bronze bushing instead of a bearing. If the bearing fails it gives more tolerence than just wear on a bushing.

cobra132
04-11-2009, 04:39 PM
It sounds like your bell housing is not dialed in properly. FMR

GlennCMC70
04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
i'ts all stock parts.

got it put back together already. the shaft isnt bent. my trans has much less slop in the input shaft than one Mitch had laying around, so i dont think thats it.

should be ok for the nduro now.

Todd Covini
04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Should we start a pool on how long it'll last in the enduro?
Who's got hour 1?
Who's got hour 2?
Who's got hour 3?
Who's got hour 4?
Who's got hour 5?
Who's got hour 6?
Who's got hour 7?
Who's got hour 8?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jason Saini & Team MER is coming out and wants revenge.
Joe Pro wants to beat Joe Schmoe this year.

-=- T

David Love AI27
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
It sounds like your bell housing is not dialed in properly. FMR

that is the problem I am having... bell housing bent...

GlennCMC70
04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Should we start a pool on how long it'll last in the enduro?
Who's got hour 1?
Who's got hour 2?
Who's got hour 3?
Who's got hour 4?
Who's got hour 5?
Who's got hour 6?
Who's got hour 7?
Who's got hour 8?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jason Saini & Team MER is coming out and wants revenge.
Joe Pro wants to beat Joe Schmoe this year.

-=- T

i got word he's bringing 5 cars. 5 against 1?

michaelmosty
04-11-2009, 09:53 PM
That'll be pretty sweet to beat all 5 of them! :twisted:

GlennCMC70
04-11-2009, 10:13 PM
That'll be pretty sweet to beat all 5 of them! :twisted:

we did last year. they had 5 then too. one was an MX5 Cup car to boot.

Todd Covini
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Soooo...did you go with roller bearing or bushing?
Whatever you did it lasted 8+ hours and then some!

(I knew you'd last all 8 hours :oops: )