PDA

View Full Version : April 18/19 - Barber Mustang Challenge & 45th Celebratio

Todd Covini
04-15-2009, 10:33 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 15 April 2009

21 Ponies Ready To Pounce at Barber Motorsports Park

News and Notes as the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Moves to the Center Stage in Alabama…

Tooele, UT-- (15 April 2009) –The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge will stage rounds three and four of the ten-round 2009 championship this weekend as the series makes a return visit to Barber Motorsports Park outside of Birmingham, Alabama. The double-header race weekend has attracted 21 entries, and is being held as the racing centerpiece for the huge 45th Anniversary celebrations of the Ford Mustang.

As the drivers and team prepare for the Saturday and Sunday 45-minute sprint races on the 2.3-mile natural terrain circuit, there are a number of stories to follow as the exciting weekend gets ready to get into gear.

Star power: Kendall and Pruett Tapped as Grand Marshals

Ford Racing has tapped living legends Tommy Kendall and Scott Pruett to serve as Grand Marshals for the Mustang Challenge race weekend. Both Kendall and Pruett will be busy all weekend long, from autograph sessions to being on hand for drivers meetings to getting some track time behind the wheel of the Ford Mustang FR500S to give some lucky VIP guests the thrill of a lifetime with some laps at speed at Barber Motorsports Park. Kendall and Pruett will both be in some familiar company over the weekend, as the two have legions of fans from their tremendously successful days in Ford Mustang machines through the years.

Roush Jr. Makes Mustang Challenge Debut:

It would be hard to throw a Mustang party if there weren’t any Roush representation, and that’s exactly what is going to happen this weekend as KONI Challenge racer Jack Roush, Jr., will race the No. 00 “Media Car” in race 1 of the Barber weekend. Roush, who currently is tied for 3rd in the KONI Challenge GS Class championship standings, took a podium in the 2008 KONI Challenge race at Barber Motorsports Park driving a Ford Mustang, so expect him to be sharp this weekend.

Championship battle:

After winning round 1 and finishing second in round 2, 2008 Mustang Challenge Champion Andrew Caddell is in a familiar spot heading into the Barber Motorsports Park round as he leads the field in the championship standings. But with Ted Anthony carrying a hot hand of two wins from the last three races, not to mention the quick consistency of Jim Click Racing’s Mike McGovern, the Champ knows that the pressure is on to make the most out of both rounds of racing this weekend.

Tune In:

As the world prepares to celebrate the birth of the Ford Mustang with the 45th Anniversary celebrations this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park, HD Theater has also got into the spirit with some additional airings of Why We Race: The Mustang Challenge. A new round of broadcasts for Why We Race: The Mustang Challenge has been slated.

Why We Race: The Mustang Challenge chronicles the inaugural season of Mustang Challenge competition, which saw Jamie Slone and Andrew Caddell duking it out for the championship as road racing ringer Terry Borcheller joined the fray in the Alabama heat to make the battle that much more competitive up front.

Welcome Back, Mustang Men!

Returning to Mustang Challenge this weekend are several fast and familiar faces, as Jim Click will suit up for the big Mustang weekend. After sharing the driving duties with 2008 Champ Caddell in the Grand-Am KONI Sports Car Challenge season-opener, Click will be back to racing against the youngster as his teammate McGovern looks to keep his championship charge moving forward. The series is also happy to welcome back Mike Harvison and Charlie Putnam to Mustang Challenge competition. Putnam made a debut appearance at New Jersey Motorsports Park in 2008, as Harvison was a series regular in the distinctive No. 11 machine.

Ford Racing Mustang Challenge/Rounds 3&4
Barber Motorsports Park Schedule:

Friday, April 17th
8:00 a.m. - 8:40 a.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Practice
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Practice

Saturday, April 18th
8:00 a.m. - 8:25 a.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Qualifying Race #1
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Race #1

Sunday, April 19
8:00 a.m. - 8:20 a.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Practice
10:40 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Qualifying Race #2
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. Ford Racing Mustang Challenge Race #2

About Ford Racing Mustang Challenge:

The Ford Racing Mustang Challenge is a new professional racing series co-developed by Ford Racing and Miller Motorsports Park. Utilizing the new Ford Mustang FR500S and sanctioned by the Grand American Road Racing Association, the Mustang Challenge series is a support series to major professional road racing events across North America. Mustang Challenge is an affordable, challenging platform for racers who want to compete in a V8-powered, rear-wheel-drive car on a level playing field that showcases driver ability in high-profile events. A competitive point structure and generous purses make the Mustang Challenge The Place to Race!

www.mustangchallenge.com

Al Fernandez
04-15-2009, 11:02 AM
I wonder when this will air on Speedtv?

FYI, JWL is going to send us some 45th anniversary decals for all you Mustang guys to plaster all over your cars :D

cjlmlml
04-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Bud Sharp and Dave Schwarze will be there also racing their vintage fox mustangs

Todd Covini
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Bud Sharp and Dave Schwarze will be there also racing their vintage fox mustangs

Ummm...don't you mean Bud Schwarze and Dave Sharp? :?

AI#97
04-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Damn it!!!! :x Had I known this back in Feb before the sign up deadline, I would not have cancelled going.

Why can't these fruity people that run race series post schedules or do press releases MONTHS ahead of time instead of 3 days prior? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :x :x :x

Greg_FW
04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
It's great to have them there, but we should go to Barber too! Only 10 or so hours from Fort Worth... closer from other parts of Texas.
Event: http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2009May30.jsp
If you want to talk about it: http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2673

ShadowBolt
04-16-2009, 07:37 AM
Wayne is driving Joe Johnson's Grand Am cUP car in a race on Sunday.

JJ

Todd Covini
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Maybe this will be our new Spec Tire for 2010???

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3389/3448522751_6153c811b5_o.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 17 April 2009

BFGoodrich Tires Provide Custom Chip Foose-Designed Tire to Austin Hatcher Program at Barber

Birmingham, AL-- (17 April 2009)—With two chances at championship points, the drivers in the Ford Racing Mustang Challenge will have plenty to race for during this weekend’s double-header event at Barber Motorsports Park, but there will be another intense competition going on this weekend off the track as well.

BFGoodrich Tires has donated a very special--one of a kind--tire from the BFGoodrich Tire Design Studio for a silent auction to benefit the Austin Hatcher Foundation as part of celebrations surrounding the 45th Anniversary of the Ford Mustang this weekend at Barber Motorsports Park. BFGoodrich actually calls it the “Mustang Tire.” And after a close look, it’s clear why. Woven into the tread pattern are the stylized heads of 15 horses representing the logo that has graced the Mustang grill for 45 years.

The unique tread pattern for this BFGoodrich tire was designed by Chip Foose for a 1970 Mustang which he and his “OVERHAULIN” team restored live on stage during the 2004 SEMA Show. This tire has another extremely unique factor. Although BFGoodrich provided Foose with four identical tires for use on the restored Mustang, this particular tire was produced on the OVERHAULIN stage at the show. Besides Chip, Courtney Hansen, Art Carr, and even Hulk Hogan, among others, had a hand in carving the tread pattern during the show.

“This is a tremendous gesture by BFGoodrich Tires, and we are very appreciative,” said Austin Hatcher Foundation Founder Jim Osborne. “We are really excited to be partnering with Mustang Challenge, and this is a great weekend to kick everything off.”

The Austin Hatcher Foundation’s mission is to support research towards the diagnoses, treatment and development of a cure for pediatric cancer and to provide support and hope to children and families undergoing treatment as well as to those who have lost children due to cancer. The Austin Hatcher Foundation also champions bold research, new treatments, and the vision for a cure.

“I want to thank BFGoodrich Tires for their generous offer from their Design Studio and hope that the icons of BFGoodrich and Mustang can garner a generous contribution from some of the 45,000 Mustang faithful this weekend,” said Mustang Challenge Series Director Lynda Randall “This tire is a great example of the passion we all have for the Ford Mustang, and that it’s great that it will be helping an excellent cause at an event that’s entirely about celebrating that passion.”

So don’t miss your chance. Be the highest bidder for your opportunity to own this one of a kind piece of Mustang-mobilia.

To get a look a the “Mustang Tire,” visit the gallery posted here: http://www.mustangchallenge.com/index.php/media/photoset/72157616898472918/

BSharp
04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
After spending the last two days on this track all I can say is....yee f'n hawwww. This track ROCKS! It is soooo worth the 10 hour drive. If you have the chance to drive this track, DO IT!

Adam Ginsberg
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Wayne is driving Joe Johnson's Grand Am cUP car in a race on Sunday.

Hope everyone gives him PLENTY of room on track. He needs it.

After spending the last two days on this track all I can say is....yee f'n hawwww. This track ROCKS! It is soooo worth the 10 hour drive. If you have the chance to drive this track, DO IT!

Told ya you'd like it. :)

I love BMP as much as I love Road Atlanta.

chris-CMC#35
04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
FYI, JWL is going to send us some 45th anniversary decals for all you Mustang guys to plaster all over your cars :D

We got our Mustang stickers in Rocky Mtn this weekend, at the new track in Colorado: High Plains Raceway. The real racers fought the weather on Friday to get to the track, and raced in the rain and slush on Saturday. Me...I waited until Sunday: too much snow and ice between me and the track. Quite the storm in Colorado this past weekend.

Great time had by all. Dave Balingit knows how to run a fun, focused weekend.

-chris

Todd Covini
04-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Bud,
How's your write-up from the weekend coming along? :wink:

BSharp
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I am following your lead...slow and easy

I am working on it as well as pics and video.

Todd Covini
04-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I am following your lead...slow and easy

I am working on it as well as pics and video.

That lay-up was an alley-oop I served to you. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Todd Covini
04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Did you see fellow gumba, Jeff Jacobucci there?
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/3324/14171/282964.jpg

BSharp
04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Dave Schwarze and I left with our rigs wed night about 8pm from DFW. We were planning to stay in Shreveport that night so the next day would not be so bad (655 miles). We get to Shreveport with the plan to stay at the Days Inn. We get to the hotel and notice that there were 3 police cars at the front door. Nope, this is not going to work. We drive by a couple of other hotels close by and notice there are a lot of locals milling about, some with beers in hand. Mind you this is 11:30 pm on a wed night. We get back on 20 and after a couple more stops we find another Days Inn in Bossier City. Much better, lots of lights and it was not backed up to the ghetto with easy access to our stuff.

Thursday am we head out. It was pretty uneventful. We get to the track about 4 pm and there is a line at the gate. They have 2 line for registration and they bring your reg stuff to you in your car. It took about 40 mins to get through that. Once inside we followed the perimiter road around the track. Wow, looks great. Landscaping, buildings, everything look awesom.

We staked out a spot in the pits and began to set up. We unloaded the cars and put up the EZ-Up. We were told we would probably have to move our trailers because the pits would be very busy on friday. We talked to a few of the SVTOA/Track Guys instructors that were there. We left the pits and headed towards the exit. We noticed a lot of cars lined up waiting to go the a cruise in town. We thought we were in good shape, wrong. Troopers had stopped regular traffic and started to the let the line of mustangs go, all 650-700 of them. The po-po were not letting any other cars turn left from the track entrance. After 15 mins we said f-this and cut in line and turned right onto the street leading to the track. We fired up the GPS and we made it to the hotel.

I had friday and sat track time and Dave had sat only. I went to tech and had no issues. The divers meeting talked about all the regular stuff as well as the special rules for the track like if you spill something in the pits tell the track and they will clean it up and if you hit the Armco, you buy it at $400 per 20 ft section but overall it was not too bad. The officials offered to let Dave instruct for track time on friday as well.

The 1st session was confusing, to sure where the track goes. I have seen videos but the hills were way bigger in person. Way fun. When I got back to the pits we had squatters in my parking spot as well as the guy next to us. Dave had asked to move and they would not saying there was no where else to park, which I believe. The pits were crammed packed, hell the whole place was crammed packed. There were 2500+ cars for the show alone. Dave and I moved out trailers to a remote lot to free up some room. One of the sqatters came up later and said he had no choice and apoligized. I told him we could have made room of he had asked. They had moved somewhere else by later in the day. I had no issues during the next session and started to get the feel for the track, as the day goes on and I am liking the track more and more I cannot help but think I want to slap MSRC across the mouth. I go for a ride in Daves car the 1st session after lunch. The locally rebuilt 302 in his car has had low oil pressure since it was put in about 300 miles ago. After about 3 laps an engine vibration started and got worse, fast. By the time we came it o/p dropped even more and a loud banging started, he was done. I went out for two more sessions and let dave drive my car for one.

Sat was a little better in the pits, still crowded but a little more organized. We had to tech our cars again and had another drivers meeting, luckily they let out group out early because we were 1st on track. It was fun playing with the other cars on the track. There were AI, CMC, 93R, 95R, 2000R, S197's along with many others. My car has lower HP compared to many of the others in the race group but it did ok. During the 4 session the checkered came out for me with only 2 turns left so by the time I got to the pits I had no pedal, the ATE fluid had boiled. I had not had that happen in years. I bled them before the last session and went back out. I pushed the car pretty hard until towards the end of the session going into turn 5 the pedal went down 90%. OK, I'm done. I later realized that the problem was probably because I was using a cheap rear pad and the fronts were dong too much work. BTW, the feeling of the car just BARELY hanging and almost getting air going into T3 was such a rush. We finally had a chance to go to the other side of the track and check out the the vendor and Ford stuff. People everywhere.

Sun am it rained and threatened to cancel the Cobra R Late Model Exibition race. It was decided to go ahead with the race. We were planning to leave right after it was over so we packed everything but my car. We did a reverse grid so I ended up on the 2nd to the last row (we had 14 cars). We were supposed to keep the cars tight so the spectators get a show. On the 1st lap 2 95R's near the front went off at turn 5, no contact though. We are playing around a bit and end up behind a 95R and 2000R. They were both driving erratically, 2 wheels off, 4 wheels off, braking in the middle of turns. I did not have the power on the straights and did not trust them to pass in the turns. By the time I got around them almost everyone else was 2 turns ahead.

We loaded and headed back for the 11 hour drive. The whole facility was 1st rate, looked like something from Europe. I will go back again.

Tons of pics here
http://www.jb203.com/Events/Barber%202009/index.html

More here
http://motorheads.net/barber/

Video coming soon

BSharp
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
It's great to have them there, but we should go to Barber too! Only 10 or so hours from Fort Worth... closer from other parts of Texas.
Event: http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2009May30.jsp
If you want to talk about it: http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2673

It was 11 hrs from Carrollton with fast gas stops, I would think it would be 12 from FW.

Todd Covini
04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a great time, Bud.
Were you able to catch any of the Mustang Challenge races?
Was there a Late Model Race "winner"?
Any "brushes with fame"?

Sounds like a cool track and a cool event.

-=- Todd

Greg_FW
04-29-2009, 08:56 PM
You may be right at 12 from FtW. I split the trip up both ways to sleep so didn't keep close tabs on time.

Great report!

BSharp
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a great time, Bud.
Were you able to catch any of the Mustang Challenge races?
Was there a Late Model Race "winner"?
Any "brushes with fame"?

Sounds like a cool track and a cool event.

-=- Todd

I saw a little of the race, coupld not really tell what was happening.
I am not sure won the "race"
Not really...