PDA

View Full Version : Enduro Experience (Mosty Brothers' Racing)

marshall_mosty
04-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow, what a weekend... too many things to list but just wanted to get my thoughts before they started to fade.

First, as everyone has noticed, my attendance in regional races as been, well... scarce. I've put all my $$$ into the enduro basket for this year in lieu of running several regionals. So, the prep for this year started with replacement of the broken bits from last year. After a new power steering rack and pump, the car was in pretty good shape.

Fulcrum Motorsports also was instrumental in the prep of the car as they supplied a new production 14" chord AI spec rear wing and adjustable splitter. In addition to the aero bits, they also reworked the radiator ducting and oil cooler mounting. A big thanks to Neill Gathings and Jim Dulaney for their countless hours of fabrication.

With the arrival of the R888, this was my chance to race on a fresh set of tires for the first time in my racing career. Racing on second hand tires was a handfull last year during the enduro, so Michael and I decided to get a set of full tread 275 888's. They were scrubbed in during a testing session at MSR-C in January and they felt good during the 30-minute sessions. We where hoping they would last the full 8-hours.

After the weather reports started showing a chance of rain, wipers were fitted as well as headlights. Additionally, the maximum 150 lbs of ballast was bolted into place as my motor found an extra 18HP and 12TQ since last season (go figure).

Getting the car on track for qualifying showed that the car had great promise and felt pretty well balanced. A quick check on the scales late Friday night showed a pretty decent weight balance L/R and cross so we didn’t have to do much to get it finally ready for the race on Saturday.

The start of the race was amazing, as we ended up 7th (I think) on the grid for the start of the race and by the end of turn 1 we were in 2nd place!!! Frank and Glenn were in close proximity with Keith Vargas’ BZZZ Miata in the lead. I realized that I could outbrake the Miata going into one and by the third lap I passed the Miata for the overall lead. I was stoked and couldn’t believe that I had a clear track ahead of me. Frank, however, was glued to my front bumper for what felt like an hour. I realized that Frank had it down for setting up T6 and he finally overtook me when I blew my braking zone and had a very late turn-in which killed my exit speed. I spent the remainder of my first stint glued to his rear bumper around the course. He played his cards very well and didn’t give me so much as an inch of room… (good one Frank).

The first pit stop worked well and I was off for my second stint. As I came out of the pits, I was a bit aggressive going through 1A and ended up pushing off the track into the swamp. My though was that we were going to be stuck for a LONG time but when I finally stopped sliding sideways (well over 60 yards from the track) I just kept it at about 3K in 1st and VERY slowly made my way back between T2 and T3.

The second pit stop and driver changed worked very well and Michael was off. Of course, he has to outdo me in everything with four wheels so he goes and rips off the second fastest lap of the entire enduro (1:55.xxx). His stint was pretty uneventful and he came in and took gas only.

We were planning on a three stint set in the middle of the race, but Michael peeled out of the car after his first session. I got into the car and immediately had issues… During Michael’s stint, Rob looked at me a said “Marshall, when was the last time you had anything to drink?” My reply was to pick up a 32oz Powerade and chug it and say “There you go Dad…”. Well, that decision came back to haunt me during my third stint. I was supposed to triple stint, but after five minutes in the car, my bladder was about to explode. I tried for six laps to just up and piss my suit so I could keep driving. The gods would let that happen so I had to come in for an emergency driver stop. Needless to say, Michael wasn’t ready and it took us a bit longer to be ready to go back out. I felt so bad for Michael since he double stinted and then had to get back into the car after only 15 minutes.

When I got back in the car it was just business as usual until about the 5:30 mark when coming through T8 I hear a “pop” in the front suspension and then the front right tire stated jumping violently. After making it though T9 and into the beginning of T10, the right tire finally flopped out and I slid off the track. After getting a flat tow back to the pits, it was diagnosed as a failed tie rod adjustment sleeve. That unfortunately was the end of the enduro effort for our team.

At the end of the day, I would like to thank my crew (Rob Liebbe, Jerry Jordan, Jeff Wirtz, and Chuck Penny). Without their help, we wouldn’t have been able to pull it off.

Well have to do this all again next year!!!

AllZWay
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
You guys were doing a great job...too bad for the tie-rod.

It was really cool for a while when the entire podium was AICMC.

michaelmosty
04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
What a blast indeed!!
Huge thanks to Rob Liebbe, Chuck Penny, Jerry Jordan, and Jeff Wirtz for their help!!! Rob and Chuck had the fueling down perfectly and Jerry and Jeff helped w/ timing calculations and general chasing of parts.
Also thanks to Jeff Burch for his suggestion for quicker fueling!! Our first stop took a very long time to fuel but the remaining ones went much quicker! :D
Thanks to David Donovan for being the emergency radio guy while everyone was getting ready for the pit stops.

The start of the race was very cool to watch! Seeing Marshall get into the lead after a few laps was awesome. Marshall's first two stints went as planned and then I got into the car for my time.
The first lap out I wanted to be very cautious and see where the track was wet and also get a feel for the car since it had been a year since last driving it. I soon saw Glenn coming up behind me and I am sure he thought what crazy hack was driving the car b/c I was all over the place figuring out turning and braking points. After about 4 or 5 laps I got settled in good and started clicking off laps. It is pretty cool when you pull onto the front straight and see a car 30 lengths down the track and think, "I'll get him before T1". :)
The car felt amazing!! The combination of the power, suspension, aero, and brakes made for an awesome driving experience! :D I did feel that I had to put more "energy" into driving the car over my CMC car. When I came in for the first fuel stop I told Marshall that I was only going to do 1 more stint before the driver change b/c I was already getting a little tired. (I know, I am a wuss) I then went out for my second stint and things went great, 45 minutes and came in for fuel and driver change.
Marshall gets back in the car and is out for about 15-20 minutes when the "pee incident" happens. We see Marshall coming down pit road and we are running around not knowing what is going on and I hear Jerry say that Marshall is sick and needs to get out. I hurry to get on my gear and climb in the car and Marshall helps me get buckled in. I ask if he is ok and he said he couldn't stand it that he had to pee so bad. That was funny. :lol:
I do a normal stint and then bring it in for Marshall to get back in. The pit stops worked great b/c we found we could change drivers in the exact time it took to put 10 gallons into the car.
During Marshall's next stint the front right suspension breaks and we get it back to the garage to try and fix it. We see the problem and Rob immediately goes over to his car and starts taking it apart so we can use his tie rod sleeve. (Thank you so much Rob, that was awesome!!) It ended up we weren't able to get it fixed before the end but we had a blast hanging out in the pits watching the last hour of the race.

Big thanks to Marshall for letting me drive the car for this event, it was an awesome time!!

Rob Liebbe
04-20-2009, 08:13 PM
You guys are quite welcome. I owed you one for helping me with the mini-enduro a couple of years ago at Cresson. It was a lot of fun. I was surprised at how quickly the time flew between fuel stops, I thought it would get boring but it never did. I was able to help a couple of the other teams from time to time just like some of them helped us.

Now as both Marshall and Michael have alluded to, they were interesting drivers. Marshall came in because he had to piss, and Michael was moaning about getting tired in ther car. Therefore we renamed the team to Piss and Moan Brothers' Racing about halfway through the event.

Chuck Penney did a great job as our fuel man but wanted to switch out later in the race. I told him that he was doing great and we shouldn't change because I would screw it up like I did last year. So when I was fueling my own car on Sunday, Chuck came around and said "How's it going Rob?". I looked up at him and fuel started overflowing out of the filler and spilled all over the ground. That's why we didn't switch, people should believe the things I tell them.

Pit strategy - oh yeah there wasn't really any of that. However, the ice cream was planned ahead of time, I even made a special stop on the way to the track to stock up. James, sorry there wasn't another one for you after your 3 hour stint.

Anyway, congratulations to Piss and Moan Brothers' Racing and all the 2009 Enduro entrants.

AllZWay
04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
James, sorry there wasn't another one for you after your 3 hour stint.

Anyway, congratulations to Piss and Moan Brothers' Racing and all the 2009 Enduro entrants.

Piss and Moan is hilarious... and BTW.. I wanted that friggin ice cream. :lol:

Al Fernandez
04-21-2009, 09:36 AM
You guys put on a great show. How about the fact that for quite a while the AI and CMC cars were 1-2-3 overall? That ice cream really hit the spot.

Go Piss N Moan Racing!!

michaelmosty
04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
I never got any ice cream! :cry:

David Love AI27
04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
You guys put on a great show. How about the fact that for quite a while the AI and CMC cars were 1-2-3 overall? That ice cream really hit the spot.

Go Piss N Moan Racing!!

1, 2, 3, and 4 would have been nice... the 718 car was running great, too bad we had the exhaust issue... while working on the car I busted my lip, and it started to bleed again will I was driving... it is a moment in racing I will never forget, hauling butt with the taste of blood in my mouth...

Great job to Mosty Brothers Racing

Al Fernandez
04-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I thought you always had the taste of blood in your moulth when you drive? :wink:

Rob Liebbe
04-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I never got any ice cream! :cry:

See what we mean about the moaning?!?!?

David Love AI27
04-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I thought you always had the taste of blood in your moulth when you drive? :wink:

you as in just me or you as in everybody???....

Al Fernandez
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
hahaha certainly applies to quite a few of us Dave!

David Love AI27
04-21-2009, 09:18 PM

Started biting again when I was between you and JP in R3.. it was very cool keeping up with my 222hp and 3317lbs... you had a front row seat, would you say I was "overdriving" the car?? :twisted:

Al Fernandez
04-22-2009, 07:20 AM
Not at all. Get yourself some horsepower and you'll have MFW laying awake at night worrying 8)

Chuck
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
You cannot sell the car now Marshall. We are already working on the graphics for the team shirts for next year, Piss and Moan Brothers' Racing! Might need some spare fuses next year.

I had great fun, after watching it rain for two days, it was good to do something else.

Chuck
CMC#14