PDA

View Full Version : Brake line know how...?

AI#97
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
So, a simple project today working on my ram air setup, spiraled into 4 other projects, 1 of which is now going to be the moving of the abs pump to the passenger seat foot well.

So...I need some quick points on do's and don'ts when it comes to brake lines....and yes, I am finally installing a proportioning valve!

What I am looking for is success stories with steel vs. aluminum lines and where you got your flare kit.

I am hoping to use as much of the existing system as possible to cut back on plumbing and looking for special fittings at the stock ford parts.

My big concern is if changing the length of the lines is going to cause any problems and which parts stores sell junk so I stay away from it. It actually looks like a couple lines will get shorter and a couple will get longer. Assuming the fact that the left and right front lines are already considerably different in length

current plan is to run the two lines from the booster back to the ABS unit in the footwell. I got the wiring taken care of today...just need to figure the final location and length of wires.... then to run each front line back up to the frame rail for each front brake and then one line back to the stock single line to the rear in the trans tunnel with the proportioning valve.

thanks....hope to have all this done by TWS.... :?

jeremiahkellam
06-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I picked up most of my lines and fittings at Advanced Auto Parts. What they didn't have I sourced from:

http://store.fedhillusa.com/316475mmtubingandnuts.aspx

I had bought a cheap flare tool from Pep Boys, and it worked great, but broke on the 3rd flare. I borrowed one Liebbe. It was a Rigid brand tool. It worked pretty good. About 3 out of 4 flares held. Just left a little extra each time in case I had to redo one.

GlennCMC70
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use aluminum in the brake system.

line length has no factor as the fluid is not compressable.

if it was me, i would buy a double flare tool and reflare the OEM lines to SAE where needed. basically leave the metric ends of the lines where they go into the master and into the ABS/out of the ABS and reflare those a few inches after that. i like to use 3/16's line over larger line. and i convert to AN where possible. i prefere 3AN over 4AN.

marshall_mosty
06-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I agree with Glenn on not using aluminum. Go to vatozone and get 6' sticks of 3/16 double flare. Use the double flare ends and double flare new one's when you do your cuts. The majority of your stuff can be 3/16" withtout any issues. The metric ends "should" still work with the 3/16" line.

mitchntx
06-28-2009, 09:24 PM
I agree with Glenn on not using aluminum. Go to vatozone and get 6' sticks of 3/16 double flare. Use the double flare ends and double flare new one's when you do your cuts. The majority of your stuff can be 3/16" withtout any issues. The metric ends "should" still work with the 3/16" line.

Or place everything and route all the lines so that you use standard length lines and don't jack with flaring anything.

Nothing like losing a weekend because of bad flare vs going to the local Autozone and buying a $3 replacement, complete line.

AI#97
06-28-2009, 10:23 PM
The lines on this car are TINY. do they measure it by O.D?

I figured aluminum would be a PITA to bend without kinking and easy to damage.

I may head over to NAPA to find the flare kit. I have had good luck with their professional shop tools in the past.

this isn't a project I am looking forward to but to do the ram air and some more post radiator ducting, the ABS unit just needs to move. Given it weighs something like 18lbs, it will be nice to move it backwards and I guess, finally install a proportioning valve.

those with Ford ABS pumps....what problems were you guys experiencing when the unit was near ignition components? I want to make sure that wires I am extending route FAR away from my ignition coils. However, was it the sensor wires being too close or was it power/computer signal wires being too close?

Thanks!

Todd Covini
06-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Classic Tube rocks.
Tell 'em what section you want and they'll make it....OEM or Stainless.

http://www.classictube.com/products_clubflyer.asp

cobra132
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Day Motorsports has a wide variety of pre cut lenghts, 8' to 60' with flares and 3/8 ends in steel. They also have all of the different adapters. FYI

AI#97
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
I was over near smiley's in mesquite for work today and got most of the lines, fittings, prop valve and some other stuff....never can seem to make it out of there for less than $150.... :oops: