PDA

View Full Version : help from the blue oval guys

David Love AI27
05-28-2006, 05:25 PM
I installed the longer lower control arms on Amber's car last night. My questions are:

1.) Is there enough tread on the rack to safely adjust out the tie rods, if not what is the solution?

2.) The sway bar links are further out on the new arms. My solution would be to redrill new holes for the links to match the sway bar. Any other solution?

3.) Should I keep the plastic inner fenders? Is it legal to remove them? Why would I want to leave them on?

4.) Found badly cracked brake lines. Is there a good braided steel line replacement?

Please post your opinions

David Love AI27
05-28-2006, 05:27 PM
1.) Is there enough tread on the rack to safely adjust out the tie rods, if not what is the solution?

opps i ment "thread"

Adam Ginsberg
05-28-2006, 08:51 PM

Purchase a bumpsteer kit. You'll need it when you lower the car. Order a kit from Maximum Motorsports (http://www.maximummotorsports.com).

2.) The sway bar links are further out on the new arms. My solution would be to redrill new holes for the links to match the sway bar. Any other solution?

For CMC, you cannot redrill sway bar mounting holes in the A-arms. I ran into the same problem - it takes a bit, but you can bolt them back up.

3.) Should I keep the plastic inner fenders? Is it legal to remove them? Why would I want to leave them on?

You are permitted to remove them in CMC. Minor weight loss. Toss up in keeping or losing them.

4.) Found badly cracked brake lines. Is there a good braided steel line replacement?

I would not run anything less than SS brake lines - period. For a Ford, utilizing the Cobra/PBR setup front and rear, the Earl's part numbers to do a complete SS replacement are:

(2) 10" rear caliper lines 63010110
(1) 8" rear axle lines 63010108
(2) 16" front caliper lines 63010116
(4) -3AN to 7/16-24 IF hard-to-flex adapt 989549
(4) -3AN 10mm .425" banjos 997631
(1) -3AN 3/8" .425" axle hop banjo 997603
(1) Tee, 3/8"-24 IF brass 972050
(1) adapter for tee, -3AN to 3/8-24 IF 581531

Last time I bought lines ( last year ), I believe the 8" axle hop line ( goes from the body to the axle ) was discontinued/no longer available. I simply bought 3 10" lines instead.

Russell also makes a complete 5-line kit, ( Russell part # 693350 ), but I have no direct experience with it.

marshall_mosty
05-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I would stay away from Russell. That is what was giving me heartburn before MSR-H. I had a line go south backing off the trailer!!

I'm going to completely re-do the lines before the next event just to be safe.

David Love AI27
05-28-2006, 10:54 PM
MM has a brake line kit manufactured by stop tech for around $125 and the tappered bumpsteer kit. I will attach the swaybar links to the exhisting points and may remove the inner fenders just for ease of access.

Next questions:

1.) The 27 car has a vacuum canister (i believe it is because of the radical cam). Do you guy run an extra canister? I am taking small steps with this car as funds are available and I am focusing on brake safety at the moment. Not looking to spend $1K on brake upgrades, just want the stock system to be as safe as possible for Amber and Jason.

2.) The previous owner installed an 8.8 with rear disc but I think the rearend sat in water or sat for a long time with moisture and all the bearings in the rearend are pitted. The bearings and races are no problem but there is pitting on the axles. Jegs has press-on rear "safety hubs" mfg by Strange that press on the axles and eliminate the "C" clips. Not too sure about eliminating the "C" clips with the side loads on the rearend. Any thoughts?

Thanks Adam and Marshall... made two big decisions tonight based on your input....

Adam Ginsberg
05-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Definitely order your parts from MM - they have great customer service, and really know their stuff.

The CMC car should not need an additional vacuum canister, since you are required to run a stock cam.

As for other brake upgrades, find a set of 99+ front brakes ( cheaper than the full 12" Cobra/PBR setup, to get you going for now ), as well as 1994-1998 GT or Cobra rear discs.

Be VERY careful when purchasing what's called "C-clip eliminators". Most are designed for drag racing, and cannot handle the side loads associated with road racing. Save your $$ - stock C-clips are fine for our racing. If your axles are that badly pitted, consider a set of stock replacements, or a set of Moser's.

macstang
05-29-2006, 12:51 AM
I have a set of 99+ calipers that will be for sale soon.

I have many other mustang things that are always for sale.

Post your other needs for your CMC car.

David Love AI27
05-29-2006, 10:14 AM

Great, let me know when you can part with them. I'm not in any hurry.

My needs are many... LOL... This car was raped by a guy who wanted to make it into a drifting car. The money he spent was a TOTAL waste. I'll keep you posted as I go through the car. thanks

oz98cobra
05-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Regarding the front anti-roll bar - it is legal in CMC to run any stock factory bar from 79 to 04 - so a better solution than using the Fox bar on SN95 control arms is to source a couple of SN95 bars of different sizes from junkyards.

We still need to get to this on CMC #5 sometime....

Rob Liebbe
05-29-2006, 11:57 AM
[quote="David Love AI27"]

If you remove the inner fenders you will get rock marks pushing up from the bottom of the fender top as rocks that sling off of the tires impact the underside of the fenders. Depends on how nice you want to keep those fender tops. After my paint job, I sprayed the bottom of the fenders with spray on bed liner. I put about 2 cans on each side.

If you leave the inner fender liners, take out the screw at the top/centerline of the wheel well that hold the liner in. It can make bad gouges in your tires.

David Love AI27
05-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Regarding the front anti-roll bar - it is legal in CMC to run any stock factory bar from 79 to 04 - so a better solution than using the Fox bar on SN95 control arms is to source a couple of SN95 bars of different sizes from junkyards.

OK... since I'm still VERY new to this.... SN95 refers to the post 1995 models??? I would ask the "used parts" guy for a bar off of a 1995 to 2004? Would a cobra or gt have different bar??

Thanks for all your input....

David Love AI27
05-29-2006, 02:03 PM
If you remove the inner fenders you will get rock marks pushing up from the bottom of the fender top as rocks that sling off of the tires impact the underside of the fenders. Depends on how nice you want to keep those fender tops. After my paint job, I sprayed the bottom of the fenders with spray on bed liner. I put about 2 cans on each side.

Did that work/help???

AI#97
05-29-2006, 03:36 PM

OK... since I'm still VERY new to this.... SN95 refers to the post 1995 models??? I would ask the "used parts" guy for a bar off of a 1995 to 2004? Would a cobra or gt have different bar??

Thanks for all your input....

Fox = 79-93
SN95 = 94-98
New Edge = 99-2004
S197 = 2005 and up.....

99-04 rear ends are 1.5" wider than all earlier cars and you already know about the front A-arms. What you will be interested in are the brakes from each series....the 99 up stockers are actually pretty darn good with a good pad. Just got to get cooling ducts to them

RichardP
05-29-2006, 05:00 PM

Any '94-'04 front bar is going to be the correct width. The attachment for those bars is different, though. The Fox bars attach to brackets welded inside the frame rails. The '94 and up bars attach directly to the frame rails with a "tall" mount. Swapping between the two isn't going to be a direct bolt on. You will have to work something to attach the newer brackets to the frame rails.

As far as sizes, they are different for V6, GT, and Cobra. In addition, they changed them several times as the years went by. There are a bunch of bar sizes to choose from. The '94 GT bar seems to be the closest to the Fox GT bar in stiffness as best as I could tell.

Richard Pedersen
#91 LX 5.0

David Love AI27
05-29-2006, 05:12 PM
'04 front bar is going to be the correct width. The attachment for those bars is different, though. The Fox bars attach to brackets welded inside the frame rails. The '94 and up bars attach directly to the frame rails with a "tall" mount. Swapping between the two isn't going to be a direct bolt on. You will have to work something to attach the newer brackets to the frame rails.

Thanks RP, however, if this is a CMC car am I allowed to "modify" the mounting of the bar. If so, then why can't "modify" the mounting of the links? Good info, if allowed :)

Rob Liebbe
05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
The fenders survived a weekend at MSR-Cresson. The RF corner marker and the fascia both recieved stone damage. So far so good.

Also, you should consider a 94/95 brake booster when stepping up your system. The stock one will be weak for the later model calipers. XL Auto parts carries them for $45. Bolt hole mods in the firewall will be required, but its an easy job.

PS - When can I borrow Richard's fender lip roller?

gt40
05-30-2006, 08:15 AM
As for other brake upgrades, find a set of 99+ front brakes ( cheaper than the full 12" Cobra/PBR setup, to get you going for now ), as well as 1994-1998 GT or Cobra rear discs..It's your lucky day! I have some brake parts off a '03 GT that I'll sell, cheap:
Front calipers
front rotors
rear axle brackets
rear anti-moan brackets
ONE caliper bracket (mounts the caliper to the axle bracket)
two rear rotors.
Lines (not sure exactly what lines I have -- I'll look...)

$100 for the whole shootin' match.

Be VERY careful when purchasing what's called "C-clip eliminators". Most are designed for drag racing, and cannot handle the side loads associated with road racing.I think that's because most kits use ball-bearings. Try to find one that uses proper tapered roller bearings.

The best way to skin this cat is to have 9" ends welded onto your axle housing. ($$$)

Save your $$ - stock C-clips are fine for our racing. If your axles are that badly pitted, consider a set of stock replacements, or a set of Moser's.Is the entire race on the axle pitted? You might be able to find "axle-saver" bearings. These ride on a different part of the race and are a good deal cheaper than replacement axles. I've no idea where to get 'em though. Maybe NAPA?

oz98cobra
05-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks RP, however, if this is a CMC car am I allowed to "modify" the mounting of the bar. If so, then why can't "modify" the mounting of the links? Good info, if allowed :)

My uninformed guess would be this - but you will want to get clarification from a director of course - because modifying the control arms to reposition the mounting points for early model end links is not specifically listed as an allowable modification to the front control arms - and remember that for CMC rules, if it doesn't say you can then you generally cannot.

However, it does specifically say you can use a late model bar on an early model body, so the mounting brackets for that bar would be considered part of the bar, and therefore you can fit them to your Fox body - otherwise you would not be able to use the bar right?

Unless of course the late model bar will fit in the early model brackets, and still align with the end link holes in the CAs? RP could probably clarify if it will work this way?

RichardP
05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Unless of course the late model bar will fit in the early model brackets, and still align with the end link holes in the CAs? RP could probably clarify if it will work this way?

No, the late model bar will not fit in the early model brackets.

Richard Pedersen
#91 LX 5.0

michaelmosty
05-30-2006, 10:13 AM
David,
If you are needing new axles I have a set of "fox-length" 5-lugs that I'm looking to sell.
I'm not sure if you are looking for SN95 axles (0.75" longer) but if you are wanting the fox-length let me know.

Rob Liebbe
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
I'd be interested if David is not.

David Love AI27
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
It's your lucky day! I have some brake parts off a '03 GT that I'll sell, cheap:
Front calipers
front rotors
rear axle brackets
rear anti-moan brackets
ONE caliper bracket (mounts the caliper to the axle bracket)
two rear rotors.
Lines (not sure exactly what lines I have -- I'll look...)

How can I get my grubby hands on them? Are you going to Hallet, if not where do I need to go?

David Love AI27
05-31-2006, 04:25 PM
David,
If you are needing new axles I have a set of "fox-length" 5-lugs that I'm looking to sell.
I'm not sure if you are looking for SN95 axles (0.75" longer) but if you are wanting the fox-length let me know.

Not sure what rearend I have but I'll buy 'em and pass on to rob if I can't use 'em... how much... PM me if you want to keep it on the "down low"

David Love AI27
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
[quote="gt40Is the entire race on the axle pitted? You might be able to find "axle-saver" bearings. These ride on a different part of the race and are a good deal cheaper than replacement axles. I've no idea where to get 'em though. Maybe NAPA?[/quote]

I'm aware of the "offset" bearings and yes I can order from NAPA... I was a parts guy at HiLo for many years, so I am aware of a few parts related issues just not good with racing applications.

Thanks for your help

David Love AI27
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM

I will keep you posted... Are you gonna make it to Hallet??? Did your "partner in crime" decide he can make the trip??

michaelmosty
05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
David,

Not sure what rearend I have but I'll buy 'em and pass on to rob if I can't use 'em... how much... PM me if you want to keep it on the "down low"
David,
I sent you a PM with the specs. on the axles and brackets.
BTW, Rob is looking for SN95 length axles so he isn't in the market for these.

macstang
05-31-2006, 07:42 PM
I got some funding to get to Hallett.

I should be there daytime Friday, in time for test and tune.

macstang wrote:

I will keep you posted... Are you gonna make it to Hallet??? Did your "partner in crime" decide he can make the trip??

Adam Ginsberg
05-31-2006, 10:20 PM

Excellent!!! If you've never driven Hallett, you won't be disappointed. It's a great track, with great folks running it. There are garages, covered pit areas, showers, and fuel at the track.

You won't regret going. We'll talk on Friday, so you can do a lead/follow, and come up to speed faster.

macstang
05-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Thanks Adam, looking forward to it.

David Love AI27
06-01-2006, 01:21 AM

Excellent!!! If you've never driven Hallett, you won't be disappointed. It's a great track, with great folks running it. There are garages, covered pit areas, showers, and fuel at the track.

You won't regret going. We'll talk on Friday, so you can do a lead/follow, and come up to speed faster.

Beware of the invisible brake lights on the #5... :P I though I was getting a lesson on late braking... :twisted:

macstang
06-01-2006, 04:22 AM
I have seen those imaginary brake lenses. It amazed me how he could drive the whole track without brakes.

Hope I can someday......

Adam Ginsberg
06-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Beware of the invisible brake lights on the #5... :P I though I was getting a lesson on late braking... :twisted:

You were..... ;)

gt40
06-01-2006, 10:35 AM

How can I get my grubby hands on them? Are you going to Hallet, if not where do I need to go?Chances are good that I'll make Hallett. If not, I'll try to send them with someone who is going.

-- Robert

michaelmosty
06-01-2006, 12:21 PM

Adam,
Can I piggy-back behind you and Jerry? :lol:

CMC17
06-01-2006, 04:07 PM

Adam,
Can I piggy-back behind you (Adam) and Jerry? :lol:

Only if you want to go slow. :lol:

oz98cobra
06-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Adam,

Not if I'm driving at the time? ;)

I'll don't plan on missing any weigh-ins at Hallett, but I do plan on making an uninvited guest appearance on the "Jeff and Eric Show" :twisted:

CMC17
06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Adam,

Not if I'm driving at the time? ;)

I'll don't plan on missing any weigh-ins at Hallett, but I do plan on making an uninvited guest appearance on the "Jeff and Eric Show" :twisted:

It's going to be the all "Eric" show at Hallett. You guys can fight over second place. :D

Mike Bell
06-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Past performance is NOT indicative of future results. Check with your stock broker or tax advisor for specific recommendations regarding your personal situation. :lol:

David Love AI27
06-19-2006, 06:05 PM

How can I get my grubby hands on them? Are you going to Hallet, if not where do I need to go?Chances are good that I'll make Hallett. If not, I'll try to send them with someone who is going.

-- Robert

I totally forgot to get with you on the parts... had my mind on finding parts for the Camaro, not the stang... I'll send you the money and you can bring to TWS... I'm just going to get the car running and do racecraft at TWS...

gt40
06-19-2006, 09:49 PM

-- Robert

I totally forgot to get with you on the parts... had my mind on finding parts for the Camaro, not the stang... I'll send you the money and you can bring to TWS... I'm just going to get the car running and do racecraft at TWS...Sounds good. Just send me a check:

Robert King
8617 Spectrum Dr.
McKinney, TX 75070

David Love AI27
07-29-2006, 10:45 PM

-- Robert

I totally forgot to get with you on the parts... had my mind on finding parts for the Camaro, not the stang... I'll send you the money and you can bring to TWS... I'm just going to get the car running and do racecraft at TWS...Sounds good. Just send me a check:

Robert King
8617 Spectrum Dr.
McKinney, TX 75070

Are you coming to TWS? If so I will mail check on monday...