PDA

View Full Version : Lightning got it's Spark Back!

Todd Covini
07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
My 190k mile Lightning left me dead on the side of the road a few weeks back. Slap in the face after I've been giving it some much needed TLC lately.

Anyway, no spark....likely culprit was the TFI module.
Replaced TFI module....still nothing.
Checked fuses...OK.

I figure it's got to be either the coil or the distributor pickup at this point.
Looking to renew those but....

My question is, at what point do we declare the ECU bad? Any telltale signs that the computer is bad? Is that the last resort?

-=- Todd "Slowly Troubleshooting in Beaumont" Covini

BSharp
07-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Since you replaced the TFI the coil and P/U coil would be next. You can try the coil from the race car. Do you have a shop manual with a flow chart?

Todd Covini
07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks Bud...I'll keep pressing on.
The racecar's in Huntsville somewhere and the shop manual with flow charts are in moving boxes somewhere.
I'm officially a "parts changer" mechanic at this point but will have a brand new ignition system before I'm done!

Hope she starts before I get to the ECU...

-=- Todd

BSharp
07-14-2009, 11:39 PM
There is probably a ECM relay somewhere also. Fusable links?

marshall_mosty
07-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Todd,
My ECU in the racecar died at TWS in April. No telltale signs. Started to get on the trailer in Richardson. Started to get off the trailer at TWS. Wouldn't start in the paddock...

No rhyme or reason.

I'd try and find a used ECU at a junkyard. Shouldn't be more than $50-75.

BSharp
07-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Todd,
My ECU in the racecar died at TWS in April. No telltale signs. Started to get on the trailer in Richardson. Started to get off the trailer at TWS. Wouldn't start in the paddock...

No rhyme or reason.

I'd try and find a used ECU at a junkyard. Shouldn't be more than $50-75.
Not too many 95 Lightnings in wrecking yards.

Todd Covini
07-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I'll locate the ECU relay and add that to my "parts to swap" list if the coil doesn't do the trick.

evarner
07-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Is it the same type coil used on a Fox Mustang? If so, take the plug wire off the top of it and have someone turn the motor over (start) while watching to see if you have spark shooting to the chassis. If yes, then make sure the rotor/cap are making good contact. No spark at the plug wires? Stator? - (easier to try a dizzy).

You can dooooiiiiit. 8)

Todd Covini
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Yup...cap/rotor looked bad so I replaced them early.
No spark at the plug....no spark off the coil.
Rotor's spinning when turning it over.
It's got to be a relay or the coil.

Summit's got a box with MSD coil & wires coming my way.

Todd Covini
07-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Today I took a half day of vacation with 1 goal in mind...bring the Lightning back to life!

Took a while and many trips to the parts store, but I've revived her.
Replaced coil.....nothing.
Rechecked all fuses...nothing.
Swapped relays looking for a bad one...nothing.

Purchased new distributor pickup coil...got home and realized I needed to pull & disassemble the distributor to get it in.

Screw that....reman distributor with new pickup coil is an extra $50. Been a while since I stabbed a distributor...and like my high school days, of course I got it 180 degrees off before finally buttoning everything up and firing it up! WooHoo! That was the final straw before having to find a new ECU.

So thanks to my "partswappin' troubleshooting skillz" the L has a new ignition system now:
TFI Module
Cap & Rotor
Plugs & Wires
Coil
Distributor & pickup coil

Thanks for the tips & words of encouragement Bud, Marshall, Eric & all...

-=- Todd

PS - Now if I could only find my timing light!