PDA

View Full Version : T-5 Road Race 5th specifics

Jeremy Gunter
07-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Alright you T-5 EXPERTS! (I understand transmission internals like I understand women, which is why I'm still single and asking this question) I think I just left myself wide open...

Here is the situation. I called Tony at Astro-proformance (great guy) and he sent me everything I needed to rebuild a backup transmission for marshal and I. BUT, the .83 5th (for a 3.35 1st gear) would not slide on the "output?" shaft and when marshal started to press it on, it was mauling up the splines.

Tony says this...

you stated you had a issue with a Tight Fit M/S 5th Gear, I thought I had sent you one of our own .79 A-5 5th Gear Sets. It turned out, what you were sent were Tremec OE 5th Components to achieve a .83 with a 3.35 1st Gear. Unfortunately, the only style 5th M/S to achieve the .83 Ratio with a 3.35 is going to be the first 5th Gear Set I sent. We don’t manufacture it, Tremec does. And I know that all are only available in a Press Fit Configuration like the stock.

So I wanna know what you guys have run into, if you have used the Tremec 5ths... I need to use this gear, but I don't want to screw anything up.

Here are some suggestions so far to fix the .83 tremec gear.
Acid dip?
Sand blast with a heavy sand that will take off a little bit of metal?
File it down with a small file?

Oven the gear, freeze the shaft? but then how do you get it off?

Any help, suggestions, feedback, etc related to the transmission topic would be appreciated.
Any comments about women, sexuality, sexual preference or character will be read, laughed at, and ignored. *GREEN GREEN GREEN*

jeffburch
07-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Do whatever is needed to use his 5th, not the tremec.
The whole mess with pressing those are gonna get old quick.
Somewhere on here is a dissertation by Richard Pederson regarding the cluster of pressing ( and getting it off) the 5th.
I have an Astro 5th but do not have the 3.35 1st box.
I'd shit can all of it to get to the easier to service stuff.
Or forgo this route and do a TKO.
I refer to the T5 (cluster) as the "Main Fuse" in CMC.
$500/yr

Ben Dover

ps
I'm no expert but my expert that rebuilds mine was very happy when I gave him the APW 5th.

marshall_mosty
07-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Here is Richard's original post:

http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=923&highlight=

I like the gear puller
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs133.snc1/5690_1027222180192_1814430887_65508_2216511_n.jpg

Jeremy,
Based on what I see in that puller, let's go on and use the .83. I'll press it on this Saturday and work on building one of these pullers in the mean time.

AI#97
07-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Here is Richard's original post:

http://www.aicmctexas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=923&highlight=

I like the gear puller
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs133.snc1/5690_1027222180192_1814430887_65508_2216511_n.jpg

Jeremy,
Based on what I see in that puller, let's go on and use the .83. I'll press it on this Saturday and work on building one of these pullers in the mean time.

If I weren't even farther away from your car than you are, I would do a combo of filing on the gear...maybe an hour. Then hot/cold pressing it on.

Filing: Only file on the valleys in the gear...it's going to be a bitch and best use a new file. I might even use a hacksaw blade to "make a dent" but don't hit the tooth face. You only want to take off about .003" as any more will create a sharp corner and potentially cause a tooth failure/crack. Other option is to turn down the peaks of the teeth on the shaft. 10 minutes on a lathe....

Good luck.

Rob Liebbe
07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd call Tony back, he will help you out. The Tremec 5th gear is a new item for him. It sounds like more than e-mail discussions are required.

Jeremy Gunter
07-22-2009, 07:17 PM
I think we have it under control. Thanks for the info guys... This has been an interesting path, but being able to drop the transmission without pulling the motor sure is a nice trade. It's worth the extra $500 in parts...

AI#97
07-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I think we have it under control. Thanks for the info guys... This has been an interesting path, but being able to drop the transmission without pulling the motor sure is a nice trade. It's worth the extra $500 in parts...

You are getting 2 transmissions, serviceability and a weight savings and are saving about $1000.

For you to have gone to a 3550 or TKO, you would have spent $3k EASILY. You also wouldn't have been able to get a FREE trans crossmember by drilling 4 holes.

Even with the headache of this gear deal...you are probably $1000 ahead when it is all over.

Todd Covini
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Looks like a lot of work to me.

Many, many years ago in a far, far away land called Kalifornia, I sent my T-5 off to D&D performance and it arrived back to me magically with the best World Class bearings, best 1st gear and best .8 5th gear.

(That was at a time when the rules were silent on tranny mods, and I was the 5th or 6th person to realize the potential....the rules are so much more clear now, thank gawd.)

I'm still a huge believer in D&D if you don't have time or lifts & such...

http://www.ddperformance.com/

-=- Todd

GlennCMC70
07-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Kowliphorneea

Todd Covini
07-22-2009, 10:22 PM
D&D's website doesn't show it, but the deal years ago was ship it to them at a cost of ~$125, they'll service the tranny for whatever it needs for the cost of parts and you just pay the shipping back. I think I got my World Class upgrade with .8 fifth gear for about $600 round trip.

(No fancy puller tools necessary.)

...and Glenn, the weirder Kowliphorneea's economy gets, the weirder we get to spell their name. Boy, I bet Patterson's lovin' it and Ginsberg's sweatin' it! :twisted:

AI#97
07-22-2009, 10:43 PM
...and Glenn, the weirder Kowliphorneea's economy gets, the weirder we get to spell their name. Boy, I bet Patterson's lovin' it and Ginsberg's sweatin' it! :twisted:

Todd, you must subsribe to the whole Kali "pay to race" mentality... :roll:

If Kali fell off into the Ocean tommorrow, the WORLD economy would improve overnight and Liberalism would die in 48 hours. My fingers are crossed in a hope for CHANGE!!!

GlennCMC70
07-23-2009, 06:57 AM

Todd, you must subsribe to the whole Kali "pay to race" mentality... :roll:

If Kali fell off into the Ocean tommorrow, the WORLD economy would improve overnight and Liberalism would die in 48 hours. My fingers are crossed in a hope for CHANGE!!!

and my in-laws would have beach front property.

Jeremy Gunter
07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
and Jesse James WOULD be a dead man... :roll:

David Love AI27
07-24-2009, 04:19 AM

BULLSHIT he would be hanging with his ol' lady

Todd Covini
07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

BULLSHIT he would be hanging with his ol' lady

...in Austin.