PDA

View Full Version : Need some Ford help.......

GlennCMC70
07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
:roll: i know - whatever.......

i got Robert B's CMC 'stang here at the house doing some work to it.
i'm down to wiring the altinator and i dont know where to go from here.
there is no post on the back for an output to the battery, so what am i missing for this? some type of plug? where do i get one?
also, i'm sure there should be a "sence wire" that controls the altinator output. once again, i'm sure there is a plug i dont have. what pin does the 12v signal need to be put on? what size resistor are you using in-line to regulate the current thru it?

mitchntx
07-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Fords have 2 electrodes and the output of the alternator arc jumps across them kind of like this ...

http://www.arcaware.com/image/obj60geo55pg1p17.png

GlennCMC70
07-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Fords have 2 electrodes and the output of the alternator arc jumps across them kind of like this ...

http://www.arcaware.com/image/obj60geo55pg1p17.png

nice going Homer. :roll:

GlennCMC70
07-22-2009, 08:27 PM
17 views and they are all Chevy guys, right?
i have the connectors now. just need to know where the wires go.

GlennCMC70
07-22-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/267002/fullsize/2g-alternator-wiring-diagram.jpg

Todd Covini
07-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm sure Rob or Eric will jump in here soon, but my experience is that if you upgrade to one of the newer alternator styles it's a 1-wire setup.

(schematics not included or needed)

GlennCMC70
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm sure Rob or Eric will jump in here soon, but my experience is that if you upgrade to one of the newer alternator styles it's a 1-wire setup.

(schematics not included or needed)

well i would need that type of alt to do it that way. its not what i have.

if you look closely at the above, its really only a 2 wire deal.

the green is a switched 12v wire w/ a 400-500ohm load on it.
the white wires are tied together (f'ing stupid - why not do this internaly?). these basically go nowhere.
the yellow gets jumpered over to the red outputs (f'ing stupid - why not do this internaly?).
2 red output wires are essentially a single wire as they will be connected to the same place.

in short, the only 2 wires that need to leave the alt are the green and the red output.

RichardP
07-22-2009, 10:24 PM
2 red output wires are essentially a single wire as they will be connected to the same place.

Part of the reason for connecting the wires externally is that the wussy little spade connectors used in the connectors aren't up to the task of carrying the load on their own. The connector with the output power wires is supposed to be replaced every time the alternator is serviced. A couple mate/demate cycles can loosen it up enough for it to over heat and cause a fire.

The 3G alternators have a large post for power out and don't have this problem. Not too much of an issue for a race car with low power requirements. On the other hand, alternators are cheap. Fires are not...

Richard P.

AI#97
07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
Glenn working on ford....

Monkey XXXXing a football...?

sorry glenn, had to! :lol:

Todd Covini
07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Will LAW Motorsports become the Wal-Mart of AI/CMC?
Time will tell....tune in....same LAW time....same LAW channel....

mitchntx
07-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Will LAW Motorsports become the Wal-Mart of AI/CMC?
Time will tell....tune in....same LAW time....same LAW channel....

Wal-Mart closed today at $49.13/share and a 15 million share volume.

LAW could live with that ...

GlennCMC70
07-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Glenn working on ford....

Monkey XXXXing a football...?

sorry glenn, had to! :lol:

w/ the football being a Ford, the ball is w/out a doubt flat.

Thanks Richard. nice explanation.