PDA

View Full Version : Current or Former C5 corvette Owners....in here.

AI#97
07-29-2009, 11:02 PM
So I have been watching videos of Miller track days and found a few mustang challenge races but they are on the long track. Most of what I recently found are from the local school or Vette days. one driver of a C5 Z06 seemed to be doing well, but I have a question. What will one of those car do mph wise in 4th gear? The straight at Miller is 3000' long. TWS is about 1900 feet if you include the acceleration zone in T16. in the Miller video, the Vette never got out of 4th gear going into the braking zone at T1 at MMP....

I wish I had a common data acquisition system so I could compare TWS laps against MMP laps on the 3.0 track as it seems the MMP track is on average, SLOWER that TWS. A surprise for sure especially with the long sweeping highspeed turns similar to TWS.

Mustang Challenge cars are seeing lap times right at 2:00 to 2:03 and they are about as fast as an ordinary AI car. TWS we see lap times averaging about 91.57....MMP is about 89.5 average, but I figured with that long straight the average should be higher. However, there are 2 second gear corners in a 3.55 geared MC car. Lots of 3rd gear corners and a few 4th gear ones.

Just trying to get a handle on that track if all goes well and I still make it.

mitchntx
07-30-2009, 12:11 AM
6 speed, 3.42 gear is good for about 130 at 6200 ...

GlennCMC70
07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
C5's have the same gearing as a 98-02 LS1 F-body. trans and diff.
3rd gear is good to 102-5 mph w/ a stock limiter.
130-140 is about right for 4th. 4th is a 1:1. stock gears are 3.42. tire size is the same. C5's are way lighter, and better areo.

but what does it matter, your not going right? :roll:

AI#97
07-30-2009, 08:51 AM

Glenn, I am in the same boat you have been since March so what ever...

what is the stock rev limiter on the vette? Thought LS1's would go to 7k...

maybe the front straight at Miller isn't as fast as we were lead to believe...? it is nice how early the start finish line is.

mitchntx
07-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Stock is 6200 ... with the limiter bumped in the PCM, like on Bryan's car, they can spin to 7K with a spring change.

GlennCMC70
07-30-2009, 09:21 AM

maybe the front straight at Miller isn't as fast as we were lead to believe...? it is nice how early the start finish line is.

really? i thought you still had a job. i lost mine in March.

point is, you are the biggest waffler i have ever seen.
just F'ing go. your single, no kids. live once. or better yet, commit one way or the other.

GlennCMC70
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM
LS1's will go to 7K, but require valve springs like Mitch said, and will need a cam that will make 7K usefull. my 98Z had a 6800 limiter. if it was a drag car, it would have been 7K plus.
if i couldnt get to the braking zone by 6500, then i would just short shift at 5500-5800. peak tq in that car was at 4200 (420+ ft lbs at the wheels).

off topic some.

a stock C5 w/ good rubber is a good match for a good AI car.

michaelmosty
07-30-2009, 11:12 AM

just F'ing go. your single, no kids. live once. or better yet, commit one way or the other.
As much as Matt "waffles" I can understand where this is a hard decision.
Y'all keep the bitching to yourselves and hug it out at the track tomorrow.

GlennCMC70
07-30-2009, 11:21 AM

f you.

GlennCMC70
07-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Matt, i'll be at TWS today and running AI all day Friday. :P

michaelmosty
07-30-2009, 12:42 PM

f you.
:lol:

evarner
07-30-2009, 02:12 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif
http://i39.tinypic.com/23m7tjd.jpg

Al Fernandez
07-30-2009, 08:40 PM
Stock is 6200 ... with the limiter bumped in the PCM, like on Bryan's car, they can spin to 7K with a spring change

:lol: Cant believe nobody commented on that

ShadowBolt
07-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Stock is 6200 ... with the limiter bumped in the PCM, like on Bryan's car, they can spin to 7K with a spring change

:lol: Cant believe nobody commented on that

I thought about it since all he does is bitch about my stroker motor.

JJ

AI#97
07-30-2009, 11:10 PM
[really? i thought you still had a job. i lost mine in March.

Yes. I was let go on Friday, then reassigned to a different department on Monday at the end of Feb... That contract ends sept 30. You have the luxury of sitting at home all day "playing" while I spend 3 or 4 days a week traveling and can't even begin to sit down and do a proper job search. Also since you were an at home dad, you got sympathy from hiring managers because you weren't working. I don't get that because I still have a paycheck.

So all in all....I am in a worse position than you were....so don't make me copy paste any of your posts about " if I can still go".

As for Running AI....you ain't got a hair on your ass if you don't pull the plate and bring it Saturday and Sunday. Soooo, I am tellin' ya again!!! Come on over to AI with ya bad self!!! I ain't skeered one bit!

BTW...I'll give ya congratulatory Keystone Light for the new job!

Rsmith350
07-30-2009, 11:48 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a384/themarbleintheoatmeal/smilies/watchdrama8jm.gif
http://i39.tinypic.com/23m7tjd.jpg

ditto!!!!