PDA

View Full Version : A reminder to be carfeul and respectful on the race track.

Rob Liebbe
08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b036OYyiwoc&feature=related

Rsmith350
08-05-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b036OYyiwoc&feature=related

Wow!

AllZWay
08-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Dayum....that car exploded. :cry:

David Love AI27
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
The guy behind did that on purpose... the track was at fault for not having armco in the gap... Think about the end of pit wall at TWS when coming out of 1 CW... I was VERY leary of that situation on EVERY lap...

Rob Liebbe
08-05-2009, 09:35 PM
The guy behind did that on purpose... the track was at fault for not having armco in the gap... Think about the end of pit wall at TWS when coming out of 1 CW... I was VERY leary of that situation on EVERY lap...

Yeah, I started to squeeze Mosty down toward that pit wall end once, but thought better of it.

michaelmosty
08-05-2009, 11:12 PM

Yeah, I started to squeeze Mosty down toward that pit wall end once, but thought better of it.
I thought about it also but knew I'd be in good shape with Liebbe in front of me. It's unfortunate what happened in the video but makes me feel fortunate for the individuals we race with!!

marshall_mosty
08-06-2009, 05:39 AM
That roll cage looked like a bunch of broken toothpicks. A testiment to physics... definately a scary video that hopefully my wife won't see...

AI#97
08-06-2009, 08:20 AM
That roll cage looked like a bunch of broken toothpicks. A testiment to physics... definately a scary video that hopefully my wife won't see...

From another forum and a comment by a guy that fields a craftsmen truck...

"if you saw where and how those chassis were built you'd understand............bad deal all around, i helped a friend build a car for that series, i'm surprised it doesnt' happen more often. It is a nascar spec series owned by the Contreras family which is Carlos Contreras former truck series competitor and who's family owns matel (hot wheels) south america.

the chassis are built literally by two homeless guys outside in a lean-to type shack, really bad news. The two guys live in a hut in the yard where the chassis are built"

Todd Covini
08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Good post Rob. It's always good to remind folks to be careful and respect the track. Check out this video as well. It took me 4 or 5 replays until I realized exactly what happened and how fast things can go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHfGGgTVsc

(Both drivers are OK.)

Todd

David Love AI27
08-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Good post Rob. It's always good to remind folks to be careful and respect the track. Check out this video as well. It took me 4 or 5 replays until I realized exactly what happened and how fast things can go wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHfGGgTVsc

(Both drivers are OK.)

Todd

Guess the spec miata guy in the drivers meeting was right... in the heat of battle they DON'T watch for flags.. 2nd car attempted pass immediatley after the WAVING yellow... guy should be suspended for a year min. and manditory corner work for that year and go through a year of DE after that...

Rob Liebbe
08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Wasn't there a comment in last weekend's driver's meeting about not being able to see a yellow flag except throught the car window in front of you and not being able to see around the car infront of you to make a pass? The response I remember was that if you can't see around the vehicle in front of you, then you shouldn't make the pass.

Glad they are allright, that was a nasty looking crash. Also a good reminder of how important it is to have cars of equal size and construction on the track at the same time. Image if the Miata was a 4th Gen Camaro and the Lotus had been a Catheram <sp?> 7.

edit - Evidently David Love and I are typing simultaneously.

Adam Ginsberg
08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Did you notice the waving yellow at the flag stand?? Looks like he was working on a pass (he had a run on the SM infront), moved right without knowing the Lotus was there.

We had a few incidents in our run group of drivers blowing/ignoring yellow flags this past weekend @ Cal Speedway. ASC car blew past not 1, but 2 flag stations waving a yellow - I spoke to him afterwards, and he says he never saw them (yeah, no kidding). The other was a GTS E36 BMW trying to "catch back up to his original grid position" during the out lap after being held at pit out for his window net being down ("I was 7th, I was 7th!!").