PDA

View Full Version : Amatuer aerodyamicist needs help...

AI#97
08-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Ok, so JWL shot down my plan to lower the headlight buckets about 4" and do a really low slope nose. Then I go and tear the ol' cobra R setup I have been running for 3.5 years all to heck and time for improvement.

So here is what I have mocked up sitting in the garage right now. It is using the upper headlight area of the stock nose, a lower splitter sort of like Daron has and a REALLY light piece of sheet metal to fill it in. There are a lot of details left to figure out yet and need to cut the radiator opening but does anyone have any suggestions or issues with the rules (I don't for that matter).

http://www.aggie97.com/nose1.JPG

http://www.aggie97.com/nose2.JPG

AI#97
08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow....no input. Guess it's spot on to be fast.... it looks VERY similar to Ernesto's new nose from S&S so hopefully those clowns know something I don't.....

Hope to have it buttoned up this weekend, maybe testing at cresson this month if I can find a member headed that way...

cobra132
08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
It looks great and should work well as long as the car stays on track. I am a little frustrated with splitter issues as I am sure you are. I am going to try and come up with something that will fare better with off track excursions. Clearly I am unable to stay on track all the time and I see a lot of excellent drivers in our group putting 2 or 4 off frequently. The other thing I worry about is that when stuff comes flying of the car, ie chunks of splitter, there is a chance that someone else will get taken out. I'am not sure what the perfect solution is, but I'll figure something out. BTW in addition to the oil gage line, my oil adapter was broken in half. I have it back together and the engine sounds normal. FMR

Wirtz
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
You guys need to turn up the leading edge of the splitter plate. You know, like a ski tip ;)

Glad I could help....

GlennCMC70
08-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Wow....no input. Guess it's spot on to be fast.... it looks VERY similar to Ernesto's new nose from S&S so hopefully those clowns know something I don't.....

Hope to have it buttoned up this weekend, maybe testing at cresson this month if I can find a member headed that way...

did you really think anyone would have an opinion that differs from yours?
i thought you knew it all.

jeffburch
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On topic, I sure like that fan of yours!

Jb

mitchntx
08-13-2009, 06:13 PM

Jb

Plano wind tunnel ...

David Love AI27
08-13-2009, 06:20 PM

Jb

Plano wind tunnel ...

I'm such a dumbass... I was thinking fans? Matt doesn't have any fans!?!?

oh THAT fan!!!

jeffburch
08-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Gimme credit for the 3 laughers.

Jb

David Love AI27
08-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Gimme credit for the 3 laughers.

Jb

1 million points for each laugher for a total of 3,000,000 points, you WIN!

Give the man an ATTABOY!!!

Shortcutsleeping
08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
MFW,

You've got a PM.

Costas
cars and such...

AI#97
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Well, I do use you as a role model with you being 'da man' and all... but I just can't get my hair that flat on top. :shock:

AI#97
08-13-2009, 08:40 PM
It looks great and should work well as long as the car stays on track. I am a little frustrated with splitter issues as I am sure you are. I am going to try and come up with something that will fare better with off track excursions. Clearly I am unable to stay on track all the time and I see a lot of excellent drivers in our group putting 2 or 4 off frequently. The other thing I worry about is that when stuff comes flying of the car, ie chunks of splitter, there is a chance that someone else will get taken out. I'am not sure what the perfect solution is, but I'll figure something out. BTW in addition to the oil gage line, my oil adapter was broken in half. I have it back together and the engine sounds normal. FMR

Frank, glad to hear the motor isn't hurt. We both dodged big bullets from the weekend for sure.

As for materials, Tiger Racing has a "mega splitter" similar to what Scranton had on his car at Hallett last year. It's like a 3/4" sheet of Carbon fiber and is mounted with square tubing and is strong as hell. From what I understand you can stand on it...but I think they needed to work on how the fasteners went through it. It needed sandwich plates so the fasteners wouldn't pull through it. Beyond that, it is in my mind, the best setup out there for surviving big offs....I just can't pony up the "mega bucks" for it.

With the two full sheets of "plastic" fasteners and aluminum, I think I am going to have about $400 in this setup and hope to have a spare spitter and plenty of material for wear plates. Don't know how well it will survive at the track, but every piece in it can be bought off the shelf at the local hardware store except for the Dzues fasteners.

Costas, you have an email!

Thanks!

michaelmosty
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Well, I do use you as a role model with you being 'da man' and all... but I just can't get my hair that flat on top. :shock:
You don't have that much hair on top. Crap, look who's talking. :cry:

AI#97
08-14-2009, 12:41 AM
You don't have that much hair on top.

No kidding!!! I looked in the mirror during my last haircut and was like....holy shit!!! I've lost part of my head! Than I realized my helmet would fit better! LOL!!!

Besides, don't hotties go for older bald guys anyway?! :?

mitchntx
08-14-2009, 06:09 AM

I've brought Sarah and Jessica to the track with me.

You brought Jeremy ....

/thread

Rob Liebbe
08-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Keep up the good work Mitch!!!

Matt needs to improve on this.

RichardP
08-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Wow....no input.

My input is that there are the written AI rules for aero and there is what JWL will accept. The two don't come even close to matching.

I get that it's hard to write rules that allow a little creativity without going overboard. On the other hand, I have seen several designs/concepts that are 100% legal to the written rules but were rejected when they were submitted for approval.

It would be more fun if you showed up to nationals with something that is legal but clearly out of JWL's comfort zone. Then we could watch how it unfolds. It's harder to reject a built setup that is clearly legal and running on track than a concept conveyed over an e-mail...

Richard P.

AI#97
08-14-2009, 08:39 AM

I've brought Sarah and Jessica to the track with me.

You brought Jeremy ....

/thread

Well, one had her fag hag with her and the other was apparently more manly than Jeremy....? Your point?

Sarah was pretty cute though and didn't run away screaming at ECR while we were all boozing it up. She might not be all that bad.

Richard, you are right. I have sent ideas to JWL and the AI rules gang , all of which are off the shelf parts you can buy at any dirt track shop or mustang drag racing shop and he shot them all down. I would LOVE to show up at Utah with the one piece nose I found that lowered the head light buckets about 5" and was reminicent of a 935 Porsche slant nose. I would also hate to show up and the AI board of guv'nas say "uh, we don't like that, drive 1500 miles home now".

Regionally, I know you guys would not care and high five for all the hard work....it's just that one stupid event I like to try and make every year that hoses it all up.

rpoz27
08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Besides, don't hotties go for older bald guys anyway?!

Nope. That's a myth, same as the belief that a comb-over looks natural. You're doomed. :lol:

AI#97
08-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Nope. That's a myth, same as the belief that a comb-over looks natural. You're doomed. :lol:

Yeah....I am sort of worried about losing any more hair... Might just shave it all off sometime in the offseason to see if I have any "dents" up there. I know of a couple decent scars from some scuffles over the years but it would be pretty difficult to dent my thick ass skull! :lol:

Hey, does your boss ever look at this site? Mosty got me some footage before I put the car on the trailer! ;)

rpoz27
08-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Yeah....I am sort of worried about losing any more hair... Might just shave it all off sometime in the offseason to see if I have any "dents" up there. I know of a couple decent scars from some scuffles over the years but it would be pretty difficult to dent my thick ass skull! :lol:

Hey, does your boss ever look at this site? Mosty got me some footage before I put the car on the trailer! ;)

Post the footage. I wanna see!

AI#97
08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Post the footage. I wanna see!

Yes Ma'am!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UojG1opZes8

AI#97
08-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Maybe the cleanest nose in AI...?

still debating whether or not to make it all one piece or two pieces with an upper and lower section and dzus fasteners.... Probably going two piece and making a complete second mock up.... should go faster with the templates!

GlennCMC70
08-15-2009, 04:00 PM
looks nice.

AI#97
08-15-2009, 04:23 PM
looks nice.

Thanks.

Hope this one lasts another 3 years and the spare I worked on today collects dust forever... :roll:

Hope to be at a point that both the primary nose and hood are ready for paint by tomorrow night.

David Love AI27
08-15-2009, 07:28 PM
looks nice.

Thanks.

Hope this one lasts another 3 years and the spare I worked on today collects dust forever... :roll:

Hope to be at a point that both the primary nose and hood are ready for paint by tomorrow night.

AWESOME... Keep up the good work and the positive attitude... Kick ass at Nationals... as for LeMons... NO POINT BY FOR YOU!!!

AI#97
08-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Kick ass at Nationals... as for LeMons... NO POINT BY FOR YOU!!!

It will be your natural reaction to just "pull over"!!! you are going to shit your pants when you see the car!!! LOL!!!!

donovan
08-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Look good, but now you don't have enough wing!!!

You made it to good up front for your rear setup! ;-)

DD

Rsmith350
08-16-2009, 10:59 AM

DD

Speaking of.......did you re-do the rear defuser yet?

AI#97
08-16-2009, 09:10 PM

DD

Well, It's painted....and looks ready for the Cover of GRM! I need to do the black accent on the hood which got shot today too. I am heading by an aircraft supply place at lunch tomorrow to find the front turnbarrels that go down to the splitter and need to pop in all the dzus fasteners again as I took them off to paint.

I hope to start working on the diffuser this week and it's going to be incorporated into a gas tank "wrap" to keep the tank/fuel cooler. I have figured it will be easier than bringing the exhaust up through the quarter panels in front of the wheels....especially since the ABS pump resides where that would route through.... :?

It's coming along quicker than I expected, but I am spending a good part of my travel fund for getting to Utah...

Keeping my fingers crossed for this interview this week and hope it turns into a gig before 8/31 so I don't have to send an email I really don't want to send.

David Love.... I was busting ass this weekend to get the car done and didn't make it to the tire place to get your tires ready...give me 3 or 4 days notice before you are headed this way and I will make sure to get that done so you can have these 4 and a half tires.

MW

David Love AI27
08-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for this interview this week and hope it turns into a gig before 8/31 so I don't have to send an email I really don't want to send.

David Love.... I was busting ass this weekend to get the car done and didn't make it to the tire place to get your tires ready...give me 3 or 4 days notice before you are headed this way and I will make sure to get that done so you can have these 4 and a half tires.

MW

Stay focused on job and nationals. I don't need the tyres till ECR... I have a few 17s for mockup on the AI car...

What is your source for splitter material? gonna do a mad rush on the AI car after nationals...

AI#97
08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
What is your source for splitter material? gonna do a mad rush on the AI car after nationals...

Aluminum was from a local steel supplier that buys damaged shipments and sign company fall off.

Plastic came from a larger plastics supplier here in dallas. Call any major sign shop and they can lead you to the right place.

AI#97
08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Update:

Well, it's actually heavier than what I had....but oh DAMN does it look good!

I must say, imitation is the best form of flattery so I thank Richard, Daron and others that started with this design and hope I haven't flubbed it too much.

Amazingly, it all snapped in place except for the one dzus on the hood that got hosed at the track. After looking at it tonight...I had to ask myself if I didn't subconsciously drive off track just so I would have to build this new nose. I hope it works!!!

Still need to find the turn barrells for the supports, cut the hole for my tow point and make a couple pieces for getting the rad duct tight to the face....but I f'n love this thing!!!

Rsmith350
08-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Looks bad ass brother! Congratulations!

rpoz27
08-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Looks good! Are dive plates next?

Rsmith350
08-18-2009, 09:55 PM

She may be on to something :D

AI#97
08-18-2009, 11:05 PM

Yeah, still working on the design and material... More concerned about getting started on the rear of the car now.

MikeP99Z
08-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Check the rules on stickers and class letters. I think the "AI" designations need to be 5" tall at least, and you need all 4 NASA stickers. I may have some NASA stickers here at the house if you need some, lemme know.

Nice job reworking the front end. Cheers 8)

AI#97
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Check the rules on stickers and class letters. I think the "AI" designations need to be 5" tall at least, and you need all 4 NASA stickers. I may have some NASA stickers here at the house if you need some, lemme know.

Nice job reworking the front end. Cheers 8)

all the stickers you see have been on the car since 2006...

I have a box full of required stickers but am short a toyo sticker for the nose. Anyone have one in black?

jeffburch
08-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a Toyo sticker for you.
Jb

mitchntx
08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
am short a toyo sticker for the nose. Anyone have one in black?

Only need 1? I have several.

But, if past events are any indication, Toyo will be there and have stacks of stickers there for the asking.

As a matter of fact, everyone that goes to Nats should ask all the contingency sponsors for stickers whether they are needed or not. We can then have a stash of them here that we can share.

I did that the 2 years I went and have sets in black, white, yellow and blue.

David Love AI27
08-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Jb

Got "Hawk" stickers???... They pay even if you don't run their product.

cobra132
08-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Very nice!! Good luck at Nats. I have rains if you need them. FMR

jeffburch
08-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Jb

Got "Hawk" stickers???... They pay even if you don't run their product.

They don't pay even if you do.
Jb