PDA

View Full Version : Clutch concensus for 3rd gen 305 in CMC-1?

RagingAardvark
08-10-2009, 03:59 PM
hey guys,
we had a NAPA OEM replacement in our car, and it appears to have died this weekend. What is the recommended Texas setup for clutches in 3rd gens?

-erik

Wirtz
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I used a standard Ram clutch from Summit. Has made it through 2.5 seasons so far. Not sure if it is the best setup in terms of weight, but it works fine.

Jeff

michaelmosty
08-10-2009, 05:23 PM
In my Mustang I have used a Ram clutch for 4 years with no problems.

Al Fernandez
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I dont know much about one brand or another...but all of the clutches I've seen personally fail did so within the torque damper mechanism. To me, that means we fail them due to repeated shifting and not due to overpowering. So, from my perspective, unless you're stepping up to a solid disk arrangement there is no reason to upgrade from an oem replacement. Just my opinion.

David Love AI27
08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
hey guys,
we had a NAPA OEM replacement in our car, and it appears to have died this weekend. What is the recommended Texas setup for clutches in 3rd gens?

-erik

I had the o'riely oem replacement for a year and I did inspection last week and it looks good remember that unless you are running AI numbers the HP and TQ are very close to stock and unless you don't know how to drive a standard there is really no extra stress...

RagingAardvark
08-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Any reason to not get the Exedy OEM clutch kit then(especially since we get decent pricing on it)? Both Beth and I have been driving manual tranny cars for years. Heck, the only automatic car in our house is the RV :?

David Love AI27
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Any reason to not get the Exedy OEM clutch kit then(especially since we get decent pricing on it)? Both Beth and I have been driving manual tranny cars for years. Heck, the only automatic car in our house is the RV :?

I am no expert but the biggest stress on the clutch is standing starts maybe 10 per year. Other than that, I don't know of any reason to "slip" the clutch. I'll step away now and let others give their opinions. Good luck.

jeffburch
08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I concur with AF.
Disc dampers take the brunt of abuse from shifting.

Jb

edrock96GT
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
I've always used McLeod clutches from Maximum Motorsports.

The one in my car now has been there since 2005 (minus being stored for 2 deployments) and has so far gone through about 50 or so 1/4 mile launches with a 150 shot and slicks, 3 weekends of DE's, a season of TT and 2 cross country trips all while being a daily driver.

It still hasn't shown any signs of wear. 8)

edrock96GT
04-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I've always used McLeod clutches from Maximum Motorsports.

The one in my car now has been there since 2005 (minus being stored for 2 deployments) and has so far gone through about 50 or so 1/4 mile launches with a 150 shot and slicks, 3 weekends of DE's, a season of TT and 2 cross country trips all while being a daily driver.

It still hasn't shown any signs of wear. 8)

HAH! I just found the definition of irony :oops:

I was looking online for a new clutch and decided to search here for suggestions when I found this post.

...rookies :roll: