PDA

View Full Version : Rule of the Day - Counter-Course Driving

Todd Covini
08-10-2009, 10:51 PM
CCR 25.8 Counter-Course Driving

Driving, towing, or pushing a vehicle on the course in the direction opposite to the normal traffic flow is strictly prohibited with the following exceptions:
• When the track is closed, or cleared, as deemed by the Chief of Communications.
• When ordered to do so by the Event Director, or an Emergency Response Team Official.
• Whenever a driver must do so for a short distance, in an extreme emergency and only for the sole purposes of getting out of harm’s way.
• When ordered to do so by a Course Official.
Notes: 1) A Course Official must obtain the approval from the Chief of Communications for each incident to order counter-course driving. 2) This rule does not apply to the pit lane or when superseded by any other NASA published rule.

David Love AI27
08-10-2009, 11:08 PM
FYI... ALL vehicles get permission... and the radio communication is very careful with multiple requests for permission and clarification... even stewards and EVs... I asked permission to drive the tractor counter race at the perevious TWS event before a car ever took the track...

Todd Covini
08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Well....not all vehicles get permission :roll: That's why I posted this. The last event had a number of folks go counter course from each racing group (not just Group 4).

David Love AI27
08-10-2009, 11:20 PM
I am very aware of the origin, I was supporting the post to show that EVERYONE must get permission from an official.

gt40
08-11-2009, 09:25 AM
Well....not all vehicles get permission :roll: That's why I posted this. The last event had a number of folks go counter course from each racing group (not just Group 4).Sorry...

:cry:

donovan
08-11-2009, 09:45 AM

2) This rule does not apply to the pit lane or when superseded by any other NASA published rule.

This part is interesting... so was MFW ok with him turning into the pit lane after the straight... after reading this, sounds like its fine.

CR did the same thing a couple years ago, took the green and pulled into the pit lane counter course, he only wanted to get the points.

I know its not ideal, but by the rule it seems like there was no rule issue.

DD

David Love AI27
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM

2) This rule does not apply to the pit lane or when superseded by any other NASA published rule.

This part is interesting... so was MFW ok with him turning into the pit lane after the straight... after reading this, sounds like its fine.

CR did the same thing a couple years ago, took the green and pulled into the pit lane counter course, he only wanted to get the points.

I know its not ideal, but by the rule it seems like there was no rule issue.

DD

I can tell you that when race control sees ANYONE going counter-race even in the pits the radios light up??

AI#97
08-11-2009, 10:20 PM

DD

Yep! I knew I was ok! ;)

I wouldn't have considered it an emergency but it was to prevent a possible tow in so I figured the race director would have been cool with it especially after the checker. I still can't believe how much gas I used last event. Usually 6.5 gallons per 20 minute race....I used 9 gallons in the 25 minute race. Sort of worries me about a 40 minute at MMP... I might need to figure a way for a couple extra gallons in a super large fuel line!

donovan
08-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Or super long!! 25' of 1/2" has a crazy amount of volume.

AI#97
08-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Or super long!! 25' of 1/2" has a crazy amount of volume.

That's not a bad idea. I have a dual pump setup that it good to 700rwhp so it should be able to push that volume... YOu might be on to something there!