PDA

View Full Version : Window vents question

Wirtz
06-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Guys, the following is the rule I see for the driver and passanger side window openings;
8.9.10. A single duct and hose may be mounted on either the passenger or driver’s side window opening to provide cooling air to the driver. The duct must not obscure the driver’s vision and must not serve any other purpose other than to provide cooling air to the driver.

On my ITS car, I ran a FAST helmet air system and I would like to keep using it in the CMC car. I had a NACA duct in the passanger side window feeding the FAST pump as I found an issue with CO in the cabin. On the driver side, I had a second NACA duct that aimed air into my chest to help keep me cool. As I read the rules, that setup would not be legal. What is the groups thoughts on this? I don't think I would HAVE to have both ducts, but it is my preference for the purpose to keep the driver cool and safe on track.

Thanks,
Jeff
- my second pit crew was born 2 days ago, hence, not much progress on the CMC car....

Mike Bell
06-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow, congrats on the newborn! I have no input for the vents question, sorry.

Rob Liebbe
06-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Big hole in the windshield right in front of the driver.

marshall_mosty
06-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Jeff,
Congrats on #2!!

Tex89
06-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Jeff,

Can you use a dual setup from the passanger side?

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/duct1.htm

gt40
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Big hole in the windshield right in front of the driver.I understand you can get that modification done on-site at No-Problem Raceway... :)

oz98cobra
06-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Jeff,

Can you use a dual setup from the passanger side?

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/duct1.htm

That's what I would suggest also - use a dual inlet duct on the passenger side, and tape the two hoses together (to form a "single" hose) to where one splits off to go to the helmet.

The rules specify a single duct and hose - and for driver cooling only - but they don't say what the duct and hose has to look like, or that the system cannot cool the driver in more than one way?

Of course I'm not a director, so it's just an opinion, but as a competitor, I wouldn't have a problem rules wise with a setup like this, and in fact would like to use a similar setup in a car for Texas summer racing.