PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Standards

RichardP
09-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Here is an interesting article about the new helmet standards from the NYT of all places:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/automobiles/27SNELL.html?_r=2&emc=eta1

Here is more detail about the new standards:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/newsandupdates/122_0909_snell_m2010_helmet/index.html

Much more in depth article about the testing:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I find the last article very interesting (I have admitted in the past that I’m a pretty big nerd). I also find it interesting how unflattering it is about the Snell testing.

One thing you will note is that the above articles are all about “M” rated or motorcycle helmets. That’s just the reality of the articles written for the general public. There are two major testing differences between “M” and “SA” rated helmets. First, SA helmets have to be made from fire resistant materials. Second, SA rated helmets are tested for an impact with a cylinder (simulating roll cage tubing). For those who thoroughly read the third article (yea, I know, not many), that second parameter is intriguing. That’s especially true for those who have properly padded any tube that a helmet could reach. A quick search of the new SA regulations on the Snell web site failed to turn up much more detail on those tests.

Anyway, there are very real changes to the 2010 regulations that have safety implications. This is especially true if you have a small head (although that, best I can tell, doesn’t really apply to the current audience).

Richard P.

Rsmith350
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
This is especially true if you have a small head (although that, best I can tell, doesn’t really apply to the current audience).

Richard P.

Now look......Don't you think MFW and Glenn give each other enough crap without outside help :shock:

AI#97
10-01-2009, 08:16 AM
This is especially true if you have a small head (although that, best I can tell, doesn’t really apply to the current audience).

Richard P.

Now look......Don't you think MFW and Glenn give each other enough crap without outside help :shock:

I am actually in the market for a new helmet...waiting till the shops have 2010 helmets in stock before I purchase.

AllZWay
10-01-2009, 10:18 AM

Richard P.

I am actually in the market for a new helmet...waiting till the shops have 2010 helmets in stock before I purchase.

Same here...

cjlmlml
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
me 3 group purchase?

Alien
10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Me 4, but I thought it wouldn't be at least til the end of next year that the 2010 helmets will be coming out.

Adam Ginsberg
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
me 3 group purchase?

I'm down wit dat.

AI#97
10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I have been looking at the G-force helmet with the air hose port on the driver side. Trying to decide on plain old white or the one with the fire graphics on it. Last I checked they were 299 pretty much everywhere that sells them.

since I won't be racing next year, I can wait as long as needed at this point unless something changes for lemons that makes my current helmet out of date.

AllZWay
10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I have been looking at the G-force helmet with the air hose port on the driver side. Trying to decide on plain old white or the one with the fire graphics on it. Last I checked they were 299 pretty much everywhere that sells them.

since I won't be racing next year, I can wait as long as needed at this point unless something changes for lemons that makes my current helmet out of date.

We've been told our is good for next year, but required to change most likely before 2011.

cjlmlml
10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
who is going to organize?

Mostys, you still have a Bell contact?

Waco Racer
10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I'll need to update too, count me in.

RichardP
10-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Me 4, but I thought it wouldn't be at least til the end of next year that the 2010 helmets will be coming out.

Today is the first day that helmets meeting the new specification are allowed to be sold. I don't know if there are any actually available for purchase yet.

Based on history, it is likely that any helmet that is currently legal will still be legal for the 2010 racing season. New helmets will probably not be required until the 2011 season. We will have to wait for the new version of the CCR to know for certain.

Richard P.

GlennCMC70
10-01-2009, 04:21 PM
i read here somewhere from a link someone posted here that the new 2010 cert was going to be delayed till sometime next year.

donovan
10-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I should be able to get great pricing, like always!!!!

I will check out what is going on.

Oh, and Richard... My current helmet is an Extra-Small... What is it about small heads!!!???

Yes, I have a small head!! 6 7/8 - 7" cap size is Extra Small to Small...

DD

AllZWay
10-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I should be able to get great pricing, like always!!!!

I will check out what is going on.

Oh, and Richard... My current helmet is an Extra-Small... What is it about small heads!!!???

Yes, I have a small head!! 6 7/8 - 7" cap size is Extra Small to Small...

DD

I do too... I used to have trouble finding fitted ball caps. :oops:

RichardP
10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
My current helmet is an Extra-Small... What is it about small heads!!!???

Previous Snell testing standards used a single sized large head form for all of their testing. That lead to stiffer than required helmet lining for heads that weighed less than the test form. In order for a helmet to work properly, the helmet lining has to crush and absorb energy.

The new testing standards utilize a range of head forms for different sizes. That effectively means that under the new standard, smaller helmets will have a softer lining that will be better able to absorb the energy in an impact. The smaller your head, the more important it is that you get a helmet to the new standards.

Richard P.

donovan
10-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Very interesting, thanks!

DD

Jeremy Gunter
10-04-2009, 11:42 PM
The smaller your head, the more important it is that you get a helmet to the new standards.

Richard P.

so there are a few of us running around the paddock who don't need to worry about this?

marshall_mosty
10-05-2009, 05:49 AM
From what we went through back in '05, the helmet certs are good for 10 years. The SA00 helmets should go out next year (if not by end of '09 calendar).

Regarding the Bell contact, Michael, Jeremy and I would only be able to get one helmet a piece with our sponsorship. Talk offline about this if you would like. I think that Michael and I have a slightly better deal than Jeremy at this time.

ShadowBolt
10-05-2009, 07:32 AM
I'm sure we can find someone willing to do a group purchase if we need ten or more units.

JJ