PDA

View Full Version : Cool Shirts and Helmet Fans...

Boudy
03-19-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm interested in a Cool Shirt system, any of you guys have one? I've got a Simpson Sidewinder helmet so I'm thinking of going with the water/air combo unit. I stopped using the little plug-in helmet fan because the noise & vibrations drove me nut's.

Does anyone use a remote fan into their helmet? What do you think?

What about the shirt itself? Is it comfortable, does it work?

Sounds like a perfect investment but is it really worth the money?

Boudy

Wirtz
03-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Last year I started using a FAST helmet system, no cool vest though. I really liked the helmet system. I found I don't notice it on track very much, but on the grid or when coming off the track I can really notice the cool air. I'm sure it is helping on track as well but my concentration was elsewhere. I also found that some exhaust was recurculating back into the cabin, so keeping the fresh air flowing into the helmet seemed a good thing.

The one thing I am not crazy about is that the hose for the helmet line can get caught up when you are trying to move you head around. I solved this by suspending the hose in the air between the seat back and the cage with a piece of surgical tubing. Point is to just plan out where you route the hose. I've noticed some of the new Simpson helmets have move the attachment point for the hose to help solve this problem.

Jeff