PDA

View Full Version : tow hook

ShadowBolt
11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I just noticed the new car does not have a front tow hook. Who sells the red aluminum ones? I assume they attach to the lower rad. support? I'm sure I will just make one at work but some parts are so cheap its not worth making.

JJ

Rob Liebbe
11-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Jerry,

Don't attach a tow hook to anything on the radiator support lower than the frame rails. It is just a radiator support and nothing else and will bend easily. The end of the frame rail would be good or the front bumper structure. Matt White should chime in here on his design. I simply use a loop of heavy steel cable maybe 3/8" that goes through a couple of holes on the bottom plate of the engine crossmember and back up to the bottom of the front bumper cover and is held in place with a weave of zip ties that will pull loose when needed. My rear strap is an old piece of shoulder strap - it was tested at Hallet two years ago when my transmission let go. I was pulled backward from Turn 1 to my pit by that shoulder strap.

I'm a fan of tow straps that will not damage another car in case of incidental contact.

marshall_mosty
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Jerry,
I have some kevlar rope that you are more than welcome to. Michael can bring to MSRH if you want to cut some (with an air powered cutoff wheel).

AI#97
11-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Jerry,

Don't attach a tow hook to anything on the radiator support lower than the frame rails. It is just a radiator support and nothing else and will bend easily. The end of the frame rail would be good or the front bumper structure. Matt White should chime in here on his design. I simply use a loop of heavy steel cable maybe 3/8" that goes through a couple of holes on the bottom plate of the engine crossmember and back up to the bottom of the front bumper cover and is held in place with a weave of zip ties that will pull loose when needed. My rear strap is an old piece of shoulder strap - it was tested at Hallet two years ago when my transmission let go. I was pulled backward from Turn 1 to my pit by that shoulder strap.

I'm a fan of tow straps that will not damage another car in case of incidental contact.

Mine is all custom with about $18 in parts, and about an hour of fab time. They sell the same thing in most race shops for around $175, plus install. Welding on the front bumper is a bitch as it's some sort of weird steel...think thin spring steel that just blows away if the arc is too hot.

Marshall's kevlar rope is pretty bad ass! Other option is a good cheap axle strap with one end welded to the bumper and one end just sticking through the bumper cover.

Still a little amazed a national director didn't have a tow point on his car!

Oh, and DO NOT install the one that goes through the roof skin to the cage....they are friggin' USELESS when pulling the car at any angle other than straight....especially in the MUD.

ShadowBolt
12-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Somehow I missed this thread after I posted it. I think I will take Marshall's offer.
I'm sure Tony did have one since the rear does. Right before I purchased the car he replaced a fender and the front bumper cover. I assume this is where the strap went.

Thanks,
JJ

michaelmosty
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Jerry, I will bring some to the event this weekend for you.