PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Year End / Hallett Video

Fbody383
11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I know it's January, which means cars are in winter prep for a fast approaching season.

Wouldn't it be cool to have some pictures of

- Francis trying to change valve springs
- Wirtz opening a new package of Zymol
- Mitch installing that (soon to be illegal) Mo PAH! exhaust

for the 2010 year end video?

I mean, can it really be just about the racing or should we also explore the deep, meaningful relationships between man and machine as they work in tandem to extract the last quintilla of performance in their ballet of precision driving.

I digress; take pictures or have somebody take pictures of you working on the car. Somebody bring a camera to the dyno days. Ask for a camera and mount for Christmaschanakwanza to record your exploits for yourself and the rest of us.

So the year end video is a given. For some yet to be determined reason, I told Al and Glenn (alphabetical, not importance) I would be willing to help with the year end video. I'm hoping Eric will be kind enough to critique if he doesn't have the full burden of production.

** I have no desire to monopolize if you want in this gig too. **

Knowing that the finished product begins with video and photos, it's never too early to be thinking about it.

For 2010 add to your New Year's Resolutions:

- I want to race and have fun, or vice versa
- I want to be in the 2010/Hallett video(s)
- I want to have video of those "other" fools

So, about Hallett. Since for many of us it WILL be the biggest race of the year, is there interest in a Hallett specific video? We can wrangle video/photos from the rest of the AI/CMC bunch, but if we want to do that, let's tell them now. Besides, I want to spoof on the SM and California guys... all in good taste of course.

You in, out or on the fence?

GlennCMC70
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
glad to see you get involved.
i'm in. even if my car will not be at the track, i'll be randomly sticking my Go Pro on cars all weekend.

AI#97
11-30-2009, 08:07 PM
The 2010 Hallett event has the potential of being the largest AI/CMC event ever held ANYWHERE in the USA. Personally, I would LOVE to see National get involved with some PROFESSIONAL video crews to develop a video to market AI/CMC to the masses. Maybe SpeedcastTV, maybe BIGGER!!!

Not knocking ANY of the guys in our region that have put forth effort before as they all kick ass....just looking at a bigger picture to take advantage of the premier event to promote Grassroots AI/CMC racing and grow the series with a fresh new promotional material.....shameless self promotion will be a byproduct! ;)

AllZWay
11-30-2009, 08:17 PM
I was thinking someone should try to get GRM to come out and cover Hallett also.

David Love AI27
11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
I know it's January, which means cars are in winter prep for a fast approaching season.

I mean, can it really be just about the racing or should we also explore the deep, meaningful relationships between man and machine

Knowing that the finished product begins with video and photos, it's never too early to be thinking about it.

You in, out or on the fence?

DAVE... just cuz you have your GRM calendar in hand, doesn't mean 2009 is over... December is just starting, dude....

my new racer is finished and so here is your first vid: "LiiR prepared for 2010"

http://www.vimeo.com/7908581

watch for me at a regata in Kemah...

I will fit right in with the sailing crowd you see the guy behind blocks the wind from the lead boat's sails causing it to slow down...

I'm not "on the fence", I'm over the damn thing and running like hell...

AI#97
11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/7908581

watch for me at a regata in Kemah...

I will fit right in with the sailing crowd you see the guy behind blocks the wind from the lead boat's sails causing it to slow down...

Only on a downwind run sir...and the leward boat has the right away and CAN round the windward boat up into the wind, especially if on a starboard tack.

Suffice to say, I can bring the PAIN on land and SEA!!! :twisted:

Rob Liebbe
11-30-2009, 10:02 PM
David Love - The ADD King.

What would be really cool is to tow the sailboat to the track with the #27 car and sell race products out of it!!

David Love AI27
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
David Love - The ADD King.

What would be really cool is to tow the sailboat to the track with the #27 car and sell race products out of it!!

I say hook up the boat to the bus and pull BL on a heavy duty metal trash can lid behind the boat in the TWS padock... think of the sparks!!!!!

gt40
11-30-2009, 11:10 PM
The 2010 Hallett event has the potential of being the largest AI/CMC event ever held ANYWHERE in the USA. Personally, I would LOVE to see National get involved with some PROFESSIONAL video crews to develop a video to market AI/CMC to the masses. Maybe SpeedcastTV, maybe BIGGER!!!If anyone is SERIOUS about shooting professional video of this, PM me NOW. My sister is a producer and is always looking for the next project. She and I have talked about this before and she's interested in doing something along the lines of a documentary -- something that could actually be sold.

Al, Todd, you guys listening? This could really be good for the Texas region...

GlennCMC70
11-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Texas hell..... the National NASA community as a whole, even if only done regionally.

i would love to see something like this happen.

AI#97
12-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Texas hell..... the National NASA community as a whole, even if only done regionally.

How do we make that happen Glenn? I know one race with SpeedcastTV was like $3k....I am guessing a weekend full of shooting and stuff is going to run mid $20k for someone with a flair for a Motorsports presentation. Has anyone ever inquired into how much it would cost for a 30 minute spot on Speed? If there were ever an opportunity to sign up title sponsors for our series or JUST GROUP 4, this would be it. Anyone have contacts with Lucas Oil? Put their banners up all over the place and call it the Lucas AI/CMC Summer Nationals.

HOW DO WE MAKE THIS HAPPEN?

We've got to stop thinking Kindergarten and start thinking NCAA at least.

ShadowBolt
12-01-2009, 08:31 AM

How do we make that happen Glenn? I know one race with SpeedcastTV was like $3k....I am guessing a weekend full of shooting and stuff is going to run mid $20k for someone with a flair for a Motorsports presentation. Has anyone ever inquired into how much it would cost for a 30 minute spot on Speed? If there were ever an opportunity to sign up title sponsors for our series or JUST GROUP 4, this would be it. Anyone have contacts with Lucas Oil? Put their banners up all over the place and call it the Lucas AI/CMC Summer Nationals.

HOW DO WE MAKE THIS HAPPEN?

We've got to stop thinking Kindergarten and start thinking NCAA at least.

Matt may have something with the lucas Oil thing. I have seen Lucas Oil On the Edge do shit like drag racing snowmobiles on grass. Who watches that crap besides me? A CMC vid from Hallett would be way better than that.

JJ

GlennCMC70
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
i'm not sure Matt. but how many Go Pro's could we buy w/ $3K?

the Lucas thing is an idea down the right path for sure.

AI#97
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

the Lucas thing is an idea down the right path for sure.

Since you have a "title" with some pull, could you take 10 minutes and find the lucas site and see if you can find an email to contact someone? One thing I have found lately is that making an effort, even as small as an email and a follow up phone call has gone a long way to making progress on stuff like this. People are sort of desperate to get their products out in the light of day right now even though their funding is a little shorter than before.

AI#97
12-01-2009, 10:53 AM

BTW, I think Donovan said he was supposed to get Go Pro HD pricing today so maybe we can answer that question pretty soon. If EVERY driver bought one (I'm thinking of two actually) and we collect the info from Just Hallett, we could pretty easily put together a compilation vid. I'd just like to see something with more of a "Broadcast" or Raceumentary type thing for marketing of the series that potential sponsors could be presented with in proposals.

The GRM thing would be even better. Sort of like their Hyperfest coverage, but AI/CMC specific.

If we can start hyping this event up now and get full committments from racers and sponsors by end of April....We could probably make this event even bigger than the SCCA solo Nats BS... :wink:

mitchntx
12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The "On the edge" deal from Lucas Oil is all about strange and weird ... trailer races, demo derbies, figure 8s ...

Would probably stand a better chance at getting Royal Purple on board as they are a Texas company.

But ...

By December, marketing and advertising decisions strategies are already in place, deals struck and agreements made for the following year. So 95% of RPs budget for 2010 is spoken for.

As far as Speed goes ... Spec Miata and it's factory backed series with thousands of national race cars and driving cars that John Q Public can go to a showroom and purchase can't find a home on Speed. What makes you think our series full of 3 and 4 Gs, Foxes/95s/97s can?

A 30 minute info-mercial time slot on Speed, a nationally syndicated network, would be 6 figures for time and production.

You can't just go shoot a bunch of tape and then air on a network. There are very strict ... VERY strict guidelines concerning FPS, drop-frame vs non-drop-frame, sync data, time code data, blah, blah, blah to meet broadcast standards.

Jeff could probably better speak to this, but at a minimum, it would require everything recorded 1st generation to Beta-SP and then the airing would be on 1" tape.

Mini-DV and Go-Pro, while looking great on my computer screen, would never pass muster on a real broadcast network.

www.tvradioairtime.com/index.php

evarner
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM

- Need voice over of some sort for a broadcast type production
- GoPro is great for viewing, but lack of quality audio limits it
- HD video is a must IMHO
- Stationary manned cameras at strategic points around the track
- Apex camera in at least two areas - one high speed - one slower (high braking) corner
- Lots of B-roll video - driver egress/ingress - grid shots with cars rolling over camera and side shots - hero shots -

If nothing else, this could be a great event for an AI/CMC promo video. It has all the makings to set the series apart and draw in those that have no idea something like this exists.

Just helping row the boat, not steer it. :D

GlennCMC70
12-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Mitch and Eric hit the nail on the head. we can do a broadcast style vid and put it on DVD. buying air time is more involved than paying for the airtime.

thoughts???
what is AI/CMC segment
meet the drivers segment
pre/post race footage
party footage
stationary high points are a must. multiple views from a single car are too.
possible Nationals style format?
as for a title Matt, i can give you the official title of AI/CMC Texas Marketing Director and you can make those calls. I just dont have those skills and i dont have the time w/ this new job, school and LAWMotorsports related activities. add to that - two kids. in fact, my car has not been out of the trailer since Nat's except for a weekend out at ECR. its still in the trailer today w/ no plans or time to get it out.

we have some real talent here. we all know what our strong suit is and isnt. Robert has a good connection w/ his sister showing intrest. Mitch and Eric would be able to contribute to to that effort. even if she only contributed in a leadership roll to keep those like Mitch and Eric (and others) pointed in the right direction at all times. I would love to see JB get involved w/ this too. surely w/ have someone who could do the comentary (lots of big talkers here).

we need to figure out if we want to do this and to what level. i say we shoot for DVD and Internet distribution.

AI#97
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Mitch/Eric...great input. Can we make this thread a sticky so we can monitor it for the next few weeks.

I'd like to put together an outline of items we need to cover, folks we need to keep involved and probably some contact with Connie and Scott for site access, or track "upgrades" for camera locations. Burch should be involved since he doesn't have a car and we need to take inventory of available cameras for possible use. Then we can assign some tasks for "B-footage" and even rope in our Rocky Mountain bretheren. biggest thing is to film the saturday night shenanigans (mostly so we can remember things as we are too smashed!).

I REALLY like this idea and maybe we can get National involved to foot some costs for distribution or throwing some weight around for helping us cover our costs of production....

I'll see if I can have the outline done by 1/1/10.

GlennCMC70
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Now i like this Matt F'ing White.

i also think we have a few "commercials" spoofs we can shoot too.... right Mitch and Mike? :wink:

evarner
12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm all for helping out if needed, but don't want to step on any toes.

As mentioned before, there are some really talented folks in this group and have shown interest in taking lead on the vid project(s).

I will be more than happy to inject thoughts/comments when called upon by those with a hand on the rudder.

8)

AI#97
12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Now i like this Matt F'ing White.

i also think we have a few "commercials" spoofs we can shoot too.... right Mitch and Mike? :wink:

I'm already picturing a HUGE f'n banner at the entrance to the track.

"The American Iron and Camaro/Mustang Challenge Summer Nationals....Sponsored by XXXXXXXXXX"

That would/could be the intro cut of the video, some local shop commercials mid vid would be fine too, LAW, MEM and others could benefit greatly.

Don't know why but recently I've had this urge to make a difference instead of just bitch'n about stuff. Sort of TAKING CONTROL and running things has a nice ring to it. ;) More of my personality I guess....but I will be nice about it, or as nice as I can be! LOL!!!! Beware of the "world of MFW"....you might just like it! :twisted:

Fire off some suggestions. I'm also picturing a "wind up" prior to the standing start on Saturday with Driver/car/# pictures showing the grid order as we pull up on the parade lap and grid for the start. Need Driver photos with suits on, sponsors info and logos and all the good stuff. This will also be broadcast over the track speakers just like nationals during the roll out from grid and parade lap.

Hmmm....what the hell has gotten into me lately?! :shock: :D

Fbody383
12-01-2009, 01:31 PM
What did I start?

I'm all for helping out if needed... to inject thoughts/comments when called upon by those with a hand on the rudder.

As mentioned before, there are some really talented folks in this group and have shown interest in taking lead on the vid project(s).

This is what I'm talkin about.

The end starts with the beginning in mind; first WE (the collective WE that attend 1 or all events) have to pitch in. I'm sure Eric will agree that having TOO much material is never a problem.

its still in the trailer today w/ no plans or time to get it out. Go take a picture of it.

I've thought about picking up a Go-Pro to go with the HD Aiptek for different angles. I too would be glad and willing to put it on other cars. To make this work, especially Hallett, we need stuff from as many cars as possible. It would be awesome to have a year end with in-car and on track video from everybody that ran that year.

Matt, I would be glad to help with an outline/timeline/plot development.

Our year end has it's own style, but Hallett and an AI/CMC specific product might be a little more "developed." (First word was serious... but what was I thinking?)

** ERIC - a lot of the 2009 video was from Wirtz/Burch-Love/Fernandez. Remind us all why, especially the HD part.

** WIRTZ/Burch-Love/Fernandez - let the good folks know what the current video setups are.

I'll try to remember to do my part and remind folks to take pictures and video of the "out of car" stuff.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Alien
12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
That would/could be the intro cut of the video, some local shop commercials mid vid would be fine too, LAW, MEM and others could benefit greatly.
As long as there is a "MFW for President 2012" commercial wik you saying at the end "I'm Matt Fucking White, and I approve this message" :D

OT: I'm just happy to step up from a tape camera to a solid state camera! HD is a bit off still for me!

michaelmosty
12-01-2009, 02:07 PM
As long as there is a "MFW for President 2012" commercial wik you saying at the end "I'm Matt Fucking White, and I approve this message" :D

:lol: That would be feakin hilarious!!

Wirtz
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
** WIRTZ/Burch-Love/Fernandez - let the good folks know what the current video setups are.

Aiptek HD 1080p digital camcorder here. Needed a custom mounting bracket, but seems to have been holding up ok for me.

I have been wanting to do stuff like Gary Rs undercar cam shot for a long time. Was hoping to pick up an older GoPro from someone upgrading to a HD version this year so I can add a second camera more often and get some different angle (like the rear fender shot I took at TWS this year using DDs camera).

David Love AI27
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM

Aiptek HD 1080p digital camcorder here. Needed a custom mounting bracket, but seems to have been holding up ok for me.

I have been wanting to do stuff like Gary Rs undercar cam shot for a long time. Was hoping to pick up an older GoPro from someone upgrading to a HD version this year so I can add a second camera more often and get some different angle (like the rear fender shot I took at TWS this year using DDs camera).

I'm considering a DAQ from PST that has 4 camera inputs in sync with the data... I might have a "deal" for you on my Go Pro

Fbody383
12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
HD is a bit off still for me!

You sure?

Aiptek HD (http://www.aiptek.com/HDCamcorders/)

Al Fernandez
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Jeff and I have similar Aiptek HD cameras. They do need a custom bracket, but all that amounts to is a piece of metal bent in an L shape with a hole on one side and a nutsert or threaded hole on the other. No biggie there. Mine seems to have a bad on/off switch but Jeff's seems to be holding up just great. For the money these are hard to beat. We'll see what the go pro hd costs.

Lots of good thoughts here, keep 'em coming!

BryanL
12-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Hallet-I still haven't been in the body of water there. How far is it from the track. I'm thinking a longer tow rope, a slalom, and I would ski across it being towed by a race car. I'll even put a Go Pro on my head.

Broadcasting-I was play by play for two years for my old high school football team.

Okay, now back to the good ideas and talented people.

David Love AI27
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
8)

gt40
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM

How do we make that happen Glenn? I know one race with SpeedcastTV was like $3k....I am guessing a weekend full of shooting and stuff is going to run mid $20k for someone with a flair for a Motorsports presentation.Fully done and in the can? 30 minutes? Broadcast quality?

A LOT -- A hell of a lot more than $3000.

If you want I can set up a meeting with my sister, Cathy. She can give you a good idea of what you can get for your money, what's doable and what's not. What will work and what won't.

If you really want to do this, you need to come up with a few ideas for what the project will be and THAT will determine your budget. You can do anything from a 5-minute segment to a full 40-minute episode (40 minutes = 1 hour in TV-Land, approximately.)

You could choose a small number of drivers/teams and follow then throughout the season (this will be expensive, given you'll be shooting material ever weekend those guys race, plus any practice days.) You could concentrate on one weekend (Hallet,) and have crews shoot a team or two from each region. That would be cheaper, but would probably mean a bigger crew to shoot that weekend.

And you'll need to decide if this is going to be HD or standard def. Rental for SD cameras is a LOT cheaper than HD cameras.

evarner
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
** ERIC - a lot of the 2009 video was from Wirtz/Burch-Love/Fernandez. Remind us all why, especially the HD part.

JW/JB-DL/AF - all had 720p or higher (HD)

1080p is nice, but at minimum if 720p could be done across the board (or higher)

720p has a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, a vertical resolution of 720 pixels and a horizontal resolution of 1280 pixels, or 1280x720, for a total of 921,600 pixels.

The 1280x720 format is always progressive scan, there is no interlace version of 1280x720. The 1280x720 frame rate in common use are 23.976, 25, 30, 50 and 59.94p or frame/s). In general, traditional PAL and SECAM countries (Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa, and parts of South America) are or will be using the 25p and 50p frame rates, whereas traditional NTSC countries (North and Central America, Japan, South Korea, Philippines) are shooting 23.976 (for movies), and 59.94p for high motion programming.

All variants can be transported by both major digital television formats, ATSC and DVB. Newer displays have 720p, but have a native resolution higher or lower than a native 1280×720 resolution. This is because it helps cut manufacturing costs. However the only 1280x720 format actually transmitted by US based broadcast and satellite networks is 1280x720/59.94p.

donovan
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Seems like a good place to put this...

Email me at 'david at donovanracing dot com'

I will fill you in on the AICMCTexas GoProHD price.

"By contract with GoPro, I can not publicly advertise this price"

AI#97
12-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Fully done and in the can? 30 minutes? Broadcast quality?

A LOT -- A hell of a lot more than $3000.

Robert, that is what speedcastTV was charging and was purely an example.

I think the better plan is to have ALL of us have one or two go pro's, David's price is FANTASTIC, I just ordered two HD's, and then complile a ton of footage after the event....ready for a September launch, possibly at nationals.

cobra132
12-02-2009, 01:20 PM
We need some type of organized water sports for Hallett. Maybe a giant tug-o-war across the lake: Texas vs Rocky Mtn, or maybe a bellyflop contest, something. Sat. after the BBQ, under some lights. I'am just thinkin. FMR

David Love AI27
12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
We need some type of organized water sports for Hallett. Maybe a giant tug-o-war across the lake: Texas vs Rocky Mtn, or maybe a bellyflop contest, something. Sat. after the BBQ, under some lights. I'am just thinkin. FMR

DUDE... you have seen TOO MANY freaky things in your lifetime...

If you ever tell a story to Frank and he replies with "You think thats wierd?? One time..." you better sit down and don't try to drink your beer...

Tug-o-war FMR style: "put one guy on each side of the pond then you take some kite string and tie it around each guy's testicles.. NO WAIT, I've seen it before, really..." FMR

AI#97
12-02-2009, 02:01 PM

DUDE... you have seen TOO MANY freaky things in your lifetime...

If you ever tell a story to Frank and he replies with "You think thats wierd?? One time..." you better sit down and don't try to drink your beer...

Tug-o-war FMR style: "put one guy on each side of the pond then you take some kite string and tie it around each guy's testicles.. NO WAIT, I've seen it before, really..." FMR

I just about wrecked my truck while reading that!!!! LOL!!!!!

gt40
12-02-2009, 02:47 PM
OK, there's two ways I see this video project moving.

You can get more varied video and have EV make out year-end video, same as this year. This is the cheapest approach, but I don't really seeing this being a major promotion for Texas AI/CMC. It'll be fine for hand-to-hand and web-based promotion (YouTube, Vimeo, etc...) but I don't see it going much farther than that.

Or, you can talk to Cathy and see what it will take to get this to the next level. This is going to take more money, naturally, but it being a more professional project, your chances of getting serious sponsorship dollars are much much better, as are the prospects of selling it to a broadcaster.

Cathy does these sort of things for a living and has done dozens pf projects, ranging from bargain-basement infomercials and low-budget indie films to major motion pictures (Murder in the Heartland, Born on the Fourth of July, and others) She knows her stuff and is a hands-on producer who's done it all.

I showed her the year end video over the Thanksgiving holiday and she thinks this kind of project has good potential. She wants to speak with us if you guys would like to schedule a time and place.

Now, given that it's December, If you want to get something together for Hallett, you need to move RIGHT NOW.

So which is it? Continue doing it ourselves or take it to the next level?

AI#97
12-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Unless she is willing to do it for free, I don't see it going that direction. At best, we are going to be able to scare up $2000 from sponsors....and I'd rather see the racers spend money on cameras they get to continue to use for life rather than ask them to pay $100+ each hoping they make the cut in the final video.

Broadcast ain't going to happen. It's a dream.

There is enough graphic talent in this group to handle this....it's just a matter of not overcommitting each person's available time.

gt40
12-02-2009, 03:58 PM
[quote=gt40]Unless she is willing to do it for free, I don't see it going that direction.Cathy's approach is like any other business venture. Her prijects are generally funded by either a business (think advertisement, infomercial or training video,) or and investor who pays for shooting and production (all movies are financed this way -- the studio is the investor.) The project is theirs at that point and when the show gets sold, the initial investor ideally makes a profit, and the entrepreneurs (that would be us,) get a cut, negotiated when the contract is written up.

So, in that respect, we're the entrepreneurs with a product. We need venture capital to get it off the ground and turn it onto a profitable product.

Cathy's the professional here and thinks we may have something that has a shot of getting funded. We just have to talk with her and that's free.

AllZWay
12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I love the idea of a produced video, but I don't really see our group being able to come up with that kind of cash unless some sponsors were acquired.

If any of you get the chance, rent or buy the Rabbitt Man films production called "Dirt : The Movie"

It is a documentary about dirt track racing for a seaon at The Devils Bowl in Mesquite and it is entertaining.

I have watched another documentary about a guy following a circuit of Smash up Derbies called Speedy69 and it also entertaining.

Fbody383
12-02-2009, 04:15 PM
If your sister is willing to talk... "we" should listen. I don't know who "we" is for this conversation. Does she have a pro-forma proposal to outline the process and obligations?

You can get more varied video and have EV make out year-end video, same as this year.

I'll say it for Eric - it probably won't be him, but I understand him to be saying he's glad to be the video-godparent.

I think there is another level of do it ourselves; first is getting more material to choose from.

If we had video from every car, 50-200 pictures from every event with some b-roll video from outside the cars at each venue, we would be LIGHT years ahead of what could do in the past. Especiall if it's all 720 16:9 or better format.

Next?

gt40
12-02-2009, 05:08 PM
If your sister is willing to talk... "we" should listen. I don't know who "we" is for this conversation.Basically, anyone who's interested and is willing to commit to the right project.

Off the top of my head, "we" should be, at least:
Me
Matt White
Glenn Landrum
Mitch Warren
Al Fernandez
Todd Covini
Eric Varner

Again, I'm not excluding anyone. If you want to be a part of it, some to the (as of yet unscheduled,) meeting.

Does she have a pro-forma proposal to outline the process and obligations?Dunno. Given the nature of the entertainment business, there's LOTS of ways to set this up. I dunno what structure she prefers or what would be appropriate.

I think there is another level of do it ourselves; first is getting more material to choose from.

If we had video from every car, 50-200 pictures from every event with some b-roll video from outside the cars at each venue, we would be LIGHT years ahead of what could do in the past. Especiall if it's all 720 16:9 or better format.

That's what started this discussion with Cathy. She was looking at the video froma professional's standpoint and had a few comments (and this in NO WAY is a reflection on EV or his abilities, it's just objective comments form a pro.)

1 - Shots are too long. For a fast-paced video, an action shot should last 3-4 seconds, tops. Keep it too long and the viewer loses sense of the pace and starts thinking "What's so special about this shot?"

2 - Too much of the same thing -- in-car video. Even you guys commented on this. The same in-car shot -- looking out the front window, was 75% of the video and it was almost always the same thing, essentially -- a car in tight traffic doing -- something. A racer might enjoy it more than a lay person, but it's repetitive. An involved racer (i.e. us,) will enjoy it even more, but in the end, it's the same-old thing again and again.

3 - Almost no b-video. We need more than on-track footage. Track-side stuff is important, as is stuff shot in the pits, awards ceremonies, working on cars, interviews, socializing, etc... We had some good stuff (Cathy especially liked the track-side shot from NPR and the wake-boarding stuff.) We just need a lot more of it. Video taken in our own garages at home as we make repairs, improvements, car prep, etc... are good, as are dyno sessions (which I think are essential of we want to gear this towards non-AI/CMC folks who don't know about the dyno rule.) Video of us towing to the track are even good.

4 - More "techie" shots. The in-car stuff and the different angles were really good. Cathy especially liked the fish-eye shot from EV's bumper and the hood shot showing the driver. The fender shot was good too but puts the camera at risk, so that may be better to shoot that in a staged environment and not a race. Other good shots would be in-car looking at the driver. Shots of driver's footwork (EXCELLENT examples of that are in Grand Prix and in Eric Bana's "Love the Beast" DVD.) Show the viewer how hard we work in the car. Short shots of the suspension working are always good. B-video of glowing rotors and fire from the exhaust are always good. Apex shots are excellent, but setting up that kind of shot is problematic since it puts the camera at risk and many (most?) tracks won't allow it.

4 - Meat. Video is nice, but it has to be put into context. At the very least we need narration to tell folks what was going on during the season, what the viewer is seeing -- stuff like that. Go watch an NFL films production -- that's what we need.

Again, I thing Eric did a fantastic job with the video, these are meant to be positive criticisms and are a summary of what Cathy and I talked about Thanksgiving evening.

MikeP99Z
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Happy to be involved.

AllZWay
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Happy to be involved.

Same here.

AI#97
12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
If your sister is willing to talk... "we" should listen. I don't know who "we" is for this conversation.Basically, anyone who's interested and is willing to commit to the right project.

Off the top of my head, "we" should be, at least:
Me
Matt White
Glenn Landrum
Mitch Warren
Al Fernandez
Todd Covini
Eric Varner

Again, I'm not excluding anyone. If you want to be a part of it, some to the (as of yet unscheduled,) meeting.

Does she have a pro-forma proposal to outline the process and obligations?Dunno. Given the nature of the entertainment business, there's LOTS of ways to set this up. I dunno what structure she prefers or what would be appropriate.

That's what started this discussion with Cathy. She was looking at the video froma professional's standpoint and had a few comments (and this in NO WAY is a reflection on EV or his abilities, it's just objective comments form a pro.)

1 - Shots are too long. For a fast-paced video, an action shot should last 3-4 seconds, tops. Keep it too long and the viewer loses sense of the pace and starts thinking "What's so special about this shot?"

2 - Too much of the same thing -- in-car video. Even you guys commented on this. The same in-car shot -- looking out the front window, was 75% of the video and it was almost always the same thing, essentially -- a car in tight traffic doing -- something. A racer might enjoy it more than a lay person, but it's repetitive. An involved racer (i.e. us,) will enjoy it even more, but in the end, it's the same-old thing again and again.

3 - Almost no b-video. We need more than on-track footage. Track-side stuff is important, as is stuff shot in the pits, awards ceremonies, working on cars, interviews, socializing, etc... We had some good stuff (Cathy especially liked the track-side shot from NPR and the wake-boarding stuff.) We just need a lot more of it. Video taken in our own garages at home as we make repairs, improvements, car prep, etc... are good, as are dyno sessions (which I think are essential of we want to gear this towards non-AI/CMC folks who don't know about the dyno rule.) Video of us towing to the track are even good.

4 - More "techie" shots. The in-car stuff and the different angles were really good. Cathy especially liked the fish-eye shot from EV's bumper and the hood shot showing the driver. The fender shot was good too but puts the camera at risk, so that may be better to shoot that in a staged environment and not a race. Other good shots would be in-car looking at the driver. Shots of driver's footwork (EXCELLENT examples of that are in Grand Prix and in Eric Bana's "Love the Beast" DVD.) Show the viewer how hard we work in the car. Short shots of the suspension working are always good. B-video of glowing rotors and fire from the exhaust are always good. Apex shots are excellent, but setting up that kind of shot is problematic since it puts the camera at risk and many (most?) tracks won't allow it.

4 - Meat. Video is nice, but it has to be put into context. At the very least we need narration to tell folks what was going on during the season, what the viewer is seeing -- stuff like that. Go watch an NFL films production -- that's what we need.

Again, I thing Eric did a fantastic job with the video, these are meant to be positive criticisms and are a summary of what Cathy and I talked about Thanksgiving evening.

Yes Robert, we realize the audience, but I think you are talking WAY too over the top here. Eric's video was meant for US here in TX and for OUR entertainment. That's all.

Let's say this video will be more "scripted" than just sending Eric clips. Yes, it will have a purpose, possibly two or three cuts for specific needs, but NOT broadcast quality unless someone ponies up the money for it....not likely. How about calling it a "planned improvement and next generation of video" that builds on the awesome vids Eric and David have compiled in the past.

Fbody383
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
That's what started this discussion with Cathy. She was looking at the video from a professional's standpoint and had a few comments (and this in NO WAY is a reflection on EV or his abilities, it's just objective comments from a pro.)

1 - Shots are too long.
2 - Too much of the same thing -- in-car video.
3 - Almost no b-video.
4 - More "techie" shots.
5 - Meat.

Yes Robert, we realize the audience, but I think you are talking WAY too over the top here. Eric's video was meant for US here in TX and for OUR entertainment. That's all.

Is the first question for us as a group to answer, what do "we" want? Do "we" want something with more storyline, interviews and meat? Do we want a race by race recap? Do we want to satisy ourselves or another audience?

I'm guessing an "Intro to AI/CMC" is different than a year end Texas AI/CMC and potentially vastly different from a Hallett compilation that might (I said might, not has to) include other classes and have a more NASA centered focus; I said might.

For sure in 2010 I want another super-cool year end video that features a lot of us racing.

I think a not too serious intro to the series would be worthwhile and a cheap way to spread the addiction.

I think a Hallett based, broad NASA appeal is a good idea.

Robert, are you willing to be volunteered to compile the responses and propose the plan of action?

How can I help?

gt40
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM

Let's say this video will be more "scripted" than just sending Eric clips. Yes, it will have a purpose, possibly two or three cuts for specific needs, but NOT broadcast quality unless someone ponies up the money for it....not likely. How about calling it a "planned improvement and next generation of video" that builds on the awesome vids Eric and David have compiled in the past.I don't have a problem with that. but it looks like there's a lot of interest in looking into something more ambitions. No harm in at at least looking into getting something professional done is there?

AI#97
12-02-2009, 07:00 PM

Let's say this video will be more "scripted" than just sending Eric clips. Yes, it will have a purpose, possibly two or three cuts for specific needs, but NOT broadcast quality unless someone ponies up the money for it....not likely. How about calling it a "planned improvement and next generation of video" that builds on the awesome vids Eric and David have compiled in the past.I don't have a problem with that. but it looks like there's a lot of interest in looking into something more ambitions. No harm in at at least looking into getting something professional done is there?

Robert interest doesn't mean doo doo. Considering this group can't even do event write ups..... We need to be realistic.

gt40
12-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Robert interest doesn't mean doo doo. Considering this group can't even do event write ups..... We need to be realistic.

Robert, are you willing to be volunteered to compile the responses and propose the plan of action?Well, considering Matt doesn't think we can manage it...

Yes.

AI#97
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM

Robert, are you willing to be volunteered to compile the responses and propose the plan of action?Well, considering Matt doesn't think we can manage it...

Yes.

Robert. Leave the captain at helm and tend to your usual duties... I'll handle it as it was MY idea to go further. I got a pretty good feel for what we are capable of.

mitchntx
12-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Here ... let me be debonaire ...

As with this type of thing, it turns into a pissing contest.

When attempting to "create" entertainment, unless one person is in charge of teh project from beginning to the end, it will always be a pissing contest.

Why?

Because being entertained is as unique as a finger print. Its why I think a joke is funny and the next person doesn't. Its why person A likes sitcoms and Person B like reality TV.

Doing something like this via committee will do nothing but piss people off. Been down this road before. Every one has a distinct vision and opinion and of course its the only correct one. No one wins and the product looks like shit.

David Love AI27
12-02-2009, 09:20 PM
8)

Boudy
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
The "New Mitch" is correct on this one. A wizzing contest is sure to unsue.

If there is anything I can do to assist, you know where to find me.

rb

AI#97
12-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Doing something like this via committee will do nothing but piss people off. Been down this road before. Every one has a distinct vision and opinion and of course its the only correct one. No one wins and the product looks like shit.

Sort of like the AI rules committee? LOL!!!

Ah fuck it all. I'm moving to Australia.

Figured there wasn't enough bi-polarism on the board today.

mitchntx
12-03-2009, 05:20 AM

LOL

That wasn't meant to douche the flame with water, nor pour gasoline on it.

I just saw two completely different "visions" of what this project was to be.

And to be blunt, there are maybe 3 or 4 folks mentioned in this thread who really understand time consuming effort to make this happen. Shoving a camera at a guy and say go get some video ain't gonna make this a "must see" product. There needs to be solid direction, alignment on exactly what to shoot and HOW to shoot it and most importantly a clear, clear vision of what the end product is supposed to look like.

For something to be in place to market for Hallett, it needs to be completed ... TODAY! Why?

How many of you decide at the last minute to go racing for the weekend versus how many of you have your year basically planned out? Submitted for the time off work? Basically has your annual budget in place?

All these questions are being answered by you guys who already know about Hallett and know what an "event" it is.

Sorry ... you guys aren't the target audience. You don't advertise and market to the folks who are already your customers. You keep them coming back by providing a quality product.

It's the folks out there that have never heard of it or have heard of it, but never had anything to catch their interest. THAT'S your target audience. And that audience's 2010 calendar is 90% complete.

To get that last 10% of their calendar and budget, there has to be something in place that makes it a "can't miss" event.

donovan
12-03-2009, 08:06 AM
Matt call me when you have 15 mins... this is complete DéjÃ* vu!

I went thru this a few years back!

DD

evarner
12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
All feedback is welcome. :D

However, please remember this was done for our group in Texas and not done as a promo for the masses. Had it been, the format would have been totally different.

The 2009 Video was something (at least in my mind) that the Texas racers and families could enjoy for years and years.

Please take my name off any lists as a direct consultant and add the interested parties that want to jump in the driver's seat for next year. I'll be in the audience. 8)

evarner
12-03-2009, 08:56 AM
BTW there are some great ideas in this thread. However, without someone in charge of it all, it's going to to be chaos.

Someone has to make the decisions

The priority is to get as much video and pics to work with. Case-in-point - there were only three HD cameras rolling last year. Do the math and it's no surprise that most of the HD segments looked really similar and repetitive. (I really want to give a big word of thanks to the HD jockeys)

For those that are rolling film, please make sure it's available to whomever is interested in putting together a video (even if it's more than one person).

A 30-45 second promo video would be awesome and can be embeded within many, many sites.

Again, there's enough talent in the group to make it happen without spending tons of $$. While it would be nice to have a professional step in and make it happen, what's the return? This is grassroots motor racing as its finest. Pick a target audience and build towards that to create awareness to what's available in their back yard.

/cheers

donovan
12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Right on Eric!!

and thanks for all your time and 'family time' you spent putting together this 2009 video and the past years you work on it!!
We all owe you a beer.... Oh, wait! :oops: :lol:

DD

Fbody383
12-03-2009, 02:05 PM
That wasn't meant to douse the flame with water, nor pour gasoline on it. I just saw two completely different "visions" of what this project was to be.

Matt, I volunteer you too. :shock: Was not meaning to come across as picking sides.

We all want "something." Events don't get written up because nobody volunteers to write them up; I don't think there is any great conspiracy to NOT write up the events. Were someone to seek out folks thoughts, experiences and stories during the weekend and shortly thereafter and write the report, it would get written.

In the past Eric and David have stepped up to get the "something" done. We have all enjoyed it and now want to make it better without duplicating the effort.

If it get's too pissy or there's no video, no pictures, no ideas then nothing will get done.

Not that it matters, but I don't care who does it; I just want a copy of the "something" and am willing to help. Next event I'll make sure the Aiptek HD is focused to infinity, has a good charge and clean card and that the new GoPro HD is running.

This is grassroots motor racing as its finest. Pick a target audience and build towards that to create awareness to what's available in their back yard. Well said.

ps - Put me in the 5 or 6 that has taped interviews, b-roll and story construction for 8-10 hours of raw cut to 17 minutes.

AI#97
12-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Hmmm, after some more research into the regional video stories....not sure I want to put myself up for fodder any more. Too many hurdles to overcome.

My new opinion is we need National to foot the bill for an updated AI and CMC promotional video. SpeedcastTV already has enough material to do it too. Let them deal with the headaches and steer their own ship.

I will still work on the trophy and contingency stuff but I think the video stuff is off my plate.

Jrod
12-11-2009, 04:21 PM
This is perhaps unsolicited as I'm not exactly tied to AI or CMC, other than really wanting to play in the sandbox. I linked this thread to a friend in film production (I have no connection to this except knowing an owner. shameless plug: http://www.ontracc.com/ ) and he showed interest in discussing the project details with someone (he recommends nationally) to see about getting it off the ground. If anyone is taking the reins on this, email or PM me and I'll send him your way.

I just watched the 09 video and it looks great; can't wait for Jan 30.

donovan
12-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I will talk to him. David at donovanracing dot com

MikeP99Z
12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I came across 2 vendors at PRI.

Power TV - was shooting products, interviews etc - it's an online magazine(s). http://www.powertvonline.com/user_landing.php?reset=true

Veloz Media - I spoke with them about the Hallett event, and they were interested in continuing discussions - pick a point person (David or Robert's sister) - have HD cameras (incar and out), can do interviews, to TV format/web/DVD, etc. http://velozmedia.tv/velozmedia.html

MP

Todd Covini
12-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Great energy, guys. As Mitch & Eric noted, we've got to have someone pick up the reins, raise their hand and say "I've got it". I mentioned this at the banquet and we need someone to take on the project for next year.

Once someone is the "executive producer" it's mainly their call as to how this thing looks & feels. Eric & TEK racing came up with the look/feel of the 2009 video based upon the raw material they were provided. If no-one submits anything, we have little to work with.

So the best thing EVERYONE can do, is simply capture raw video (in HD) for submittal to "that executive producer". Dyno shots, trailer shots, paddock shots...you name it, as Robert mentioned. If everyone captures "their season" in their own mini-video...and submits it to THAT PERSON, everyone's race season will get edited/combined into a regional "our season" video.....and then all regional "our season" videos could be edited/combined into a national "our AI/CMC season" video....and THAT's what may get the help and assistance of NASA HQ from a funding perspective.

If you want to be "that executive producer" of the video project, let Al or myself know.

However we decide to do it, it really needs to be run thru Fernandez, myself or other NASA rep if we want it to be an "official NASA production". There are some parameters/preferences we have to work within, however, it's the "Exective Producer's" product.

Unless we all want to pitch in an equal amount of $$$ to have this done professionally, I don't see NASA HQ or NASA TX funding such a project. It's more of a "by the people, for the people" kind of thing.

-=- Todd

Fbody383
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
One weekend down.

I have HD video from Race 1 and forgot to charge the silly thing for Sunday. Well, and Ross' big gloves in the cold did the turn on/off simultaneous thing. And some podium pics (minus the podium) for Satuday races.

For some reason Pinnacle doesn't like this particular mov file; what are you guys using to get it converted to avi?

Who has an FTP site where we can host all the raw video/pictures?

Put me in the camp of throwing a couple dollars at the hosting fee if wanted/necessary.

BlueFirePony
02-02-2010, 04:48 PM
One weekend down.

I have HD video from Race 1 and forgot to charge the silly thing for Sunday. Well, and Ross' big gloves in the cold did the turn on/off simultaneous thing. And some podium pics (minus the podium) for Satuday races.

For some reason Pinnacle doesn't like this particular mov file; what are you guys using to get it converted to avi?

Who has an FTP site where we can host all the raw video/pictures?

Put me in the camp of throwing a couple dollars at the hosting fee if wanted/necessary.

I'll have to check the bandwidth on our site - if I have the room we can host on our site - if I don't have the room I'll check what it will take to get more.

I've got some vid including the "parting of the way" out the right side window during R1 - kinda cool looking...I'll see if I can pull the vid off the other camera tonight.

mitchntx
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I've been doing some checking ...

LAWMotorsports.net has the space and bandwidth to accomodate hosting videos.

Recently, our hosting vendor dropped bandwidth limitations. So maybe it's time I create a subdomain and grant FTP access to those who want it.

Let me look into it a bit more.

Edit:
We do have some limitations:

100G of space and 200K individual files.

Wirtz
02-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Since I have no clue;

How much or how difficult for this AI/CMC site to have a FTP for posting / sharing videos?

cjlmlml
02-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Jeff W,

We have plenty of bandwidth for hosting photos and videos.

Jeff Brooks is trying to set this up when he gets time.

We desperately need someone who can build out part of this website to enable video & photo hosting. I have posted several times regarding trying to find someone who can help us do this.

Apparently no one out there knows how the internet works.

I would love to have a video/photo section that is organized by event & everyone can load videos/photos of that that event on a specific place on the website.

ANYONE?

mitchntx
02-03-2010, 10:49 AM
The issue as I see it is building a user interface that allows UL/DL of said media.

Creating the subdomain, granting FTP access and the control of users and passwords is a challenge but workable.

But not everyone knows how to use FTP. So, it needs to be language based. Maybe SQL?

jeffburch
02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Video hosting is one thing.
Hosting TRUE HD is an entirely different one.
If you're trying to get native files to the producer, snail mail dvd roms is the only avenue.
A 720P native file ranges from 8-25 meg per second.
A 20 min race is gi-friggin-normous.
1080 is even bigger.

jb

cjlmlml
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
We dont need true HD Hosting , do we?

Is there a way to get a section of vimeo or You tube where we can have our AICMC section & then have different folders for different races?

BlueFirePony
02-03-2010, 11:59 AM

ANYONE?

I've posted in the past, at least twice, that I'd be willing to help.
Right now I've got my hands full but if this can wait until after Cresson I can work on it.
Is this strictly a LAMP site or can we run other frameworks on here (Java, .NET?)

Wirtz
02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
A paid Vimeo site might be an option. I'm just using the freebie account, and am limited to 1 HD upload per week.

For the year end video, I was uploading 720p 30 FPS to Erics FTP. As JB sez, big files, workable, but I left it running overnight typically. Part of it is most ISPs choke upload speeds, so the majority of the issue was on my end.

David Love AI27
02-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Apparently no one out there knows how the internet works.

ANYONE?

Call AL Gore... He invented it...

How is the new addition and mommy doing?

cjlmlml
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM

ANYONE?

I've posted in the past, at least twice, that I'd be willing to help.
Right now I've got my hands full but if this can wait until after Cresson I can work on it.
Is this strictly a LAMP site or can we run other frameworks on here (Java, .NET?)

OK, appreciate it,

Mommy & Baby are great

Fbody383
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Per JBs reminder...

** Somebody take a couple good shots of the MSRC main sign. I can get one from MSRH when the weather gets nice **

Still want/need folks to take stills and video of the goings-on at MSRC. I think several folks picked up some Go Pro HD hardware at the first of the year and I'm sure David D. would be glad to sell some more.

I've looked into some hosting sites (godaddy, host gator, etc.) briefly to get a common repository for stuff but don't know enough yet. Anybody got any thoughts, share them here or PM me - I certainly don't mind chipping in a couple bucks for the cause.

I'm also still in for helping with year end video stuff - idea(s), content, partial project, whatever - but it all starts with content. And gives me a good excuse to build a new PC since I'm saving all that money by not going to Cresson and having to fix the rear of the car (3... 2... 1...)

Again.

jeffburch
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
but it all starts with content.

My belief is it starts with someone saying they're are in charge of the production. Storage is not an issue. FTP sites here are plentiful.
All it takes is for someone to say they're doing it and then the old standby folks from the past will step in and take it over. 8)

Bueller?

jb

Fbody383
03-09-2010, 03:56 PM
I went back and scanned the first 6 pages of this thing...

My belief is it starts with someone saying they're are in charge of the production.

Fine, I'm in charge of production for the 2010 Texas year end video.

Many of you said you were "IN," please PM me any comments, suggestions, ideas or to just tell me to jump in the lake. Make it the pond at Hallett and get it on tape. Better yet get the cameras rolling with in-car. Get your wife/girlfriend/neighbor/pit crew to takes some stills. Call David Donovan (http://www.donovanracing.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/53?osCsid=e2c8eac17748e56f1dffe244110feab3) and order a brand spankin' new GoPro HD and get some uber-cool interior and exterior shots.

Storage is not an issue. FTP sites here are plentiful. Good; then lay out the costs and make sure we can get 1-2GB files uploaded and downloaded. Also, we want to be able to sort stills and videos by event. If you have ideas for filenaming conventions, i.e. MSRH_Race1_CMC39.avi, include those as well. Let's get the storage figured out sooner rather than later.

Who's going to have camera(s) rolling at Cresson?

jeffburch
03-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Great!
Now to solve your "public" file sharing problems.

Post your address you want this stuff mailed to.
Hirez stuff in native format is just too large for FTP.
Everyone will mail you their stuff or hand it to you at the next event.
This is how I have gotten so much face time in past videos.
I simply mailed the producer what he asked for, lots of hirez stuff in native file format (on DVD rom) right out of the camera.

Thx,
jb

BlueFirePony
03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
My wife said she was willing to come and take stills of the goings on at MSR-C.
I'll have both cameras on the car again...really really going to try and remember to turn them on this time!!

jeffburch
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I aspire to visit ya'll Saturday and shoot a little HD vid with my steady cam mounts. I have both the low angle and high versions of these
http://steadycam.org/

I need permission from CW to walk between the standing start grid.
I have a orange vest and am fleet of foot.
Once I get to the tail of the field (3 car 8) ) I will high-tail it to the fence.

If there is some sort of pre-race deal with the drivers standing next to the cars that would be cool also.

Also, for the invert, if I could stand trackside as the cars enter onto the track. This low angle will look nice aswell.

jb

Waco Racer
03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I need permission from CW to walk between the standing start grid.
I have a orange vest and am fleet of foot.
Once I get to the tail of the field (3 car 8) ) I will high-tail it to the fence.
jb

If the drivers in Group D are OK with the extra time sitting before the green, then we can work out a plan. Make sure your batteries are charged on your Hoveround.

Also, for the invert, if I could stand trackside as the cars enter onto the track. This low angle will look nice aswell.

jb

There may be a special prize for who gets closest to JB without hitting him. :shock:

David Love AI27
03-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Once I get to the tail of the field (3 car 8) )
jb

The invert is a roliing start... OH... and you better be carefu...l the clutch pedal is a little slippery...

David Love AI27
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
There may be a special prize for who gets closest to JB without hitting him. :shock:

What is the prize if you "wing" him???

jeffburch
03-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Make sure your batteries are charged on your Hoveround.

That's hilarious.

Note to self: No shots of the BlueFirePony.

jb

Fbody383
03-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I aspire to visit ya'll Saturday and shoot a little HD vid with my steady cam mounts. I have both the low angle and high versions of these http://steadycam.org/
Thanks, JB.

I looked at some of the other online postings for homemade rigs - my early thought is one could use a gimbal bearing (@ $35) from a stern drive. Might be my pre-Hallett project.

I'll have both cameras on the car again...really really going to try and remember to turn them on this time!! If you're willing to share a camera, let folks know. It would be great to have every car that runs this season have some in-car and be in other on track footage.

And get some of the "non-standard" stuff - driver, footwork, pre-race, tech shed, Gunter-Drill-O-Matictm, etc.

Todd Covini
03-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Some inspiration and camera angle ideas...

http://velozmedia.tv/journey-to-24-film/#top

NOTE: I didn't "take over" this project or have my hand in the production....but I was the pit lane official in the film. :-)

-=- T

Todd Covini
06-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Other regions are inspired...we've set the bar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PfadtRaceEngineering

-=- T

Sidney
06-04-2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=540391

Saying it's won all three races it's entered is kind of hollow when you're the only car in your class! You'd think they'd wait to pat theirselves on the back till after it's actually RACED somebody!

Sidney Franklin
CMC #64

GlennCMC70
06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=540391

Saying it's won all three races it's entered is kind of hollow when you're the only car in your class! You'd think they'd wait to pat theirselves on the back till after it's actually RACED somebody!

Sidney Franklin
CMC #64

Nice.

Fbody383
06-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Friendly reminder... I don't know who else wants it, but I'll take a copy of any video you have. Just burn it to disk.

I watched the video I have and there's some cool stuff... unfortunately I don't have any Race 3 and the little of Race 4 I have is mostly of mustang rear bumpers ~ close-ups.

Ross put his Go Pro on my car in the fog lamp opening for Race and apparently that vid is pretty decent.

Somebody get something posted in the usual event spot... Mosty? Mitch? Ross?

JasonLiiR
06-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I have the last 3 laps of race 4 of me behind on from a GoPro mounted to the top of my windsheild. There is a pretty cool drift in there somewhere.

David Love AI27
06-15-2010, 09:05 AM
I have the last 3 laps of race 4 of me behind on from a GoPro mounted to the top of my windsheild. There is a pretty cool drift in there somewhere.

do the research and I will buy the editing software

kbrewmr2
06-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I've been using Windows Movie Maker for editing my GoPro stuff - should already be on your computer for free

JasonLiiR
06-15-2010, 02:09 PM
If I can figure out how to use it, I have a movie maker on my computer.

Todd Covini
06-15-2010, 09:23 PM
See Corn....he mounted cameras in odd places thru the weekend, including on the tow truck as it chased the field after the standing start.

Cool stuff....I'll help you coordinate anything you need.

-=- Todd

way2neary
06-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Here is a my vid from Race #3. Lots of great action with Gary and Glenn...

Enjoy..

http://vimeo.com/12602496

Crumpacker
06-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Great driving Dave! I especially like the move at 6:33.

8)

nasa-rm
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
Great job Neary! That was good how you just kept on Ken until he had to brake through T1 at 20:10.

way2neary
06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks Guys! Looks like I posted my vid in the wrong section. Rookie move.

Al Fernandez
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Damn rookies! :lol: Excellent job David!!

Fbody383
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
*** 7/5 UPDATE FOR 2010 YEAR END VIDEO ***

I know what kind of procrasinators most of you are... unless you're just up WAAAYY past your bed time and up to alcohol influenced shenanigans.

Believe it or not it is July which means we've got 2 regional events and Nationals left on the calendar. Also means there's a ton of photos and video footage out there somewhere. (Crap, stupid Disney rat song now stuck in my head)

There is now an FTP site for you to use if you want to share your video or get that shot of you somebody else has. And it seems to work fine unless it's a Flip generated MP4 and then NOBODY seems to be able to edit it...but I digress.

The good news is the site is there. Bad news (or good depending on your perspective) for you is I'm leaving the country for a brief period and won't be here to tell you how to upload stuff.

I think they'll be fine with this, or I guess I'll have to buy them a chicken fried rib eye in October ~ Mitch, Gary R. and Wirtz also have the details on connecting to the FTP site. Allegedly there's no bandwidth limits and we've already put up about 6Gb worth of stuff.

You'll see there is a file tree by event. I ask that you name the files something everybody can decode, i.e. CMC39 Hallett Race 1 or CMC2 22 Photos. If you would rather burn stuff to disk and send it to me to upload, that's cool too.

If you've got an idea, music selection, partial production, etc. you want to share, I'm up for that too. Otherwise it may be B/W and Abba with muppets.

See you in a week... or two.

Fbody383
07-05-2010, 07:39 PM
*** 7/5 UPDATE FOR 2010 YEAR END VIDEO ***

I know what kind of procrasinators most of you are... unless you're just up WAAAYY past your bed time and up to alcohol influenced shenanigans.

Believe it or not it is July which means we've got 2 regional events and Nationals left on the calendar. Also means there's a ton of photos and video footage out there somewhere. (Crap, stupid Disney rat song now stuck in my head)

There is now an FTP site for you to use if you want to share your video or get that shot of you somebody else has. And it seems to work fine unless it's a Flip generated MP4 and then NOBODY seems to be able to edit it...but I digress.

The good news is the site is there. Bad news (or good depending on your perspective) for you is I'm leaving the country for a brief period and won't be here to tell you how to upload stuff.

I think they'll be fine with this, or I guess I'll have to buy them a chicken fried rib eye in October ~ Mitch, Gary R. and Wirtz also have the details on connecting to the FTP site. Allegedly there's no bandwidth limits and we've already put up about 6Gb worth of stuff.

You'll see there is a file tree by event. I ask that you name the files something everybody can decode, i.e. CMC39 Hallett Race 1 or CMC2 22 Photos. If you would rather burn stuff to disk and send it to me to upload, that's cool too.

If you've got an idea, music selection, partial production, etc. you want to share, I'm up for that too. Otherwise it may be B/W and Abba with muppets.

See you in a week... or two.

AllZWay
07-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Dave... Were you able to use any of the video I sent you from Cresson?

If so, I can get you some of TWS and Hallett, but if the resolution or file type doesn't work, then I won't mess with cutting anymore.

Al Fernandez
07-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for pushing this along!

So Jeff, Gary, Mitch...can you post instructions for connecting? Or is that private info that should be PMd to drivers?

Wirtz
07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
I can pass info, but as far as I know there is only password...

I'm not sure the best course of action other than I would be hesitant to post it on the open forum. I'd say for now if folks that want to check it out, shoot one of us a PM and we can send it out. We can always post it up somewhere later on if that is the needed.

mitchntx
07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I think if David had wanted all the web to use it, he would've posted it himself.

PM will get instructions

mitchntx
07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Well holy crap!

My $200 netbook can view and edit the Flip vids, but my quad core i7 Asus Revolution chokes and pukes ...

It still isn't pretty, but at least its a picture ...

http://www.vimeo.com/13142383

As of this post, it still needs 30 minutes or so to "convert".

AllZWay
07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
WOW... I didn't realize you has such a close up view of the action. :shock:

mitchntx
07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Because of my hard right turn (due to Chris M on my left) my number was called in as having been involved.

But there was enough room for another NASA sticker between Brian and me. Plenty of room ...

Rob Liebbe
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Nice moves Mitch.

mitchntx
07-06-2010, 08:55 PM
It appears you were over there as well, Rob.

I just saw orange ...

Rob Liebbe
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Yep, I was behind you by about two car lengths. I went to the left behind the Firebird.

http://www.vimeo.com/12600445

at about 3:30

Fbody383
07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I think if David had wanted all the web to use it, he would've posted it himself.

PM will get instructions

Correcto.

James, I can watch the vids on the DVD I just have to see if I can get them out. I'm hoping to try that early this week.

AllZWay
07-19-2010, 03:29 PM
James, I can watch the vids on the DVD I just have to see if I can get them out. I'm hoping to try that early this week.

I have some raw .wmv files that I could upload to a site if you want to see if they would be good enough quality to use. Someone would have to PM me the FTP information.

I also have some pics that you might could use.

Fbody383
07-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Someone would have to PM me the FTP information.

I also have some pics that you might could use.

PM sent; upload at your leisure.

Fbody383
09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
*** September 28, 2010 UPDATE ***

Where's Ur Vidz? Photoz? Quick, get them in before the 2011 rule change.

The last race weekend is quickly approaching. I just checked the site and several folks have posted photos and videos.

If you need the FTP site information let me know. JP, Wirtz, Mitch, Gary R. etc. also have it.

GlennCMC70
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
I need it.

Fbody383
10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
*** October 17 UPDATE ***

There is a good number of photos and video at the FTP site but more is always better

Eric or Al or whoever has the highest resolution version of the various logos ~ CMC, American Iron, AI/CMC Texas, NASA, TOYO, or any other sponsors, etc. please email them to me or post them to the FTP site.

If you still need user/password to the FTP site, let me know.

edrock96GT
10-17-2010, 12:03 AM
I need it.

Me too.

Al Fernandez
10-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Send me the FTP site info and I'll upload my hd videos and the logos

Fbody383
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM
*** October 17, 2010 Update ***

I think I've caught everybody up on FTP info.

I know Wirtz and Gary Robertson have uploaded several things. I also know Glenn is having trouble today but I have been downloading all weekend with good success. I am traveling several days this week and know you guys will help whomever needs it.

Also, if you have pictures or video of loading your car at the house/mahal/shop/etc. for a weekend, please put those up too.

GlennCMC70
10-17-2010, 10:42 PM
I can log into the site just fine.
Once in a hit "view" and click "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer".
I see a folder called "pub". I click it and try to drag and drop the file or copy and paste. I get an error. Looks like a permissions error.

BlueFirePony
10-17-2010, 11:05 PM
I see a folder called "pub". I click it and try to drag and drop the file or copy and paste. I get an error. Looks like a permissions error.

Right mouse click in the window (in the part where the Pub folder is listed), select Login As.., then enter the username and password for the site. You should then see a couple other folders (Pictures, Videos...)

GlennCMC70
10-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Right mouse click , select Login As.., then enter the username and password for the site. You should then see a couple other folders (Pictures, Videos...)

Thanks. That was it.

BlueFirePony
10-17-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm loading my pix in the Other folder (->Pictures->Other). Dave said there is an ECR folder in there along with the Hallet, etc. but I can't seem to see it.
The pix I took all start with DSC. There are actually a couple cool sequences in there (JK and JJ battling through T12). I am uploading the start of R3 from start to T3....pretty good sequence too.

Also have some cars crossing at the checker (sorry missed several...did I mention I suck at photography!?). I did catch a pretty cool sequence with a drag race to the check between Gary and Wade...woot!

Oh, and I uploaded some of the raw files by mistake instead of the JPG format...but that reminded me that if anyone wants the uber quality of any of the pix (in the event I just happened to take a pic you like), let me know and I can upload/email it.

mitchntx
10-18-2010, 01:41 AM
moved all my ECR pics into

pictures/ECR_2010

GlennCMC70
10-18-2010, 07:12 AM
Look for a folder w/ my name. All my stuff is there.

Fbody383
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Excellent self tech guys.

Now, if we can find a way to crack that silly MP4 from Steve's FLIP we'll be golden. I found an article that said Handbrake may be able to handle the MP4; I'll try that when I get back from Cali.

jeremiahkellam
10-19-2010, 07:11 PM
I guess I'm retarded....

I can't figure this out... I go to "ftp.aicmctexas.com" and I get an "error 404 page not found" message, I tried "www.aicmctexasftp.com" and I get a Host Gator getting started" page. I tried clicking on "page" and "view" and I don't see where to open the ftp site.

BlueFirePony
10-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I guess I'm retarded....

I can't figure this out... I go to "ftp.aicmctexas.com" and I get an "error 404 page not found" message, I tried "www.aicmctexasftp.com" and I get a Host Gator getting started" page. I tried clicking on "page" and "view" and I don't see where to open the ftp site.
Try ftp://aicmctexasftp.com/

Rsmith350
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Can someone PM me with the instructions for the FTP site. Have video.....want to share :wink:

Fbody383
10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I would like before/after pics of the 1, 56 and 70 if you guys are willing to send some.

GlennCMC70
10-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I would like before/after pics of the 1, 56 and 70 if you guys are willing to send some.

I dont have anything other than close up shots w/ the fender and off and shots of the broken parts. I good w/ anyone sending what they have.

mitchntx
10-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm so tired of carrying you ...

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/CMC70_build_01.jpg
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/CMC70_build_02.jpg
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/CMC70_build_03.jpg
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/CMC70_build_04.jpg
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/CMC70_build_05.jpg
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/GMHTP1.jpg
http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Glenn/98Z28_1_1024.jpg

Alien
10-25-2010, 02:49 PM
I imagine DF is looking for something like these, even tho they're from '08

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Pics/70and9_779x262.jpg

http://www.lawmotorsports.net/Pics/Glenn/web/Glenn_MSRC_08_1.jpg

GlennCMC70
10-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Wow, here I was thinking he was looking for pics of the wrecked and burned cars. :roll:

Fbody383
10-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I'm so tired of carrying you ... But at least I'm down about 10lbs.

Yeah, was looking for some of the "after." But those give some "before" i didn't have at hand.

mitchntx
10-25-2010, 08:49 PM

Glenn knew I was referring to him. That's all that really matters.

Fbody383
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM

Glenn knew I was referring to him. That's all that really matters.

Just remember that it's the car that can't make weight. :shock:

Fbody383
11-02-2010, 01:45 PM
*** NOVEMBER 2, 2010 UPDATE ***

Did you vote?

Ok, it looks like there will be something to watch in 11 days. Thanks for all the time Al.

Here's my take... if it sucks I'll never have to worry about doing it again.

ShadowBolt
11-02-2010, 04:11 PM
*** NOVEMBER 2, 2010 UPDATE ***

Did you vote?

Ok, it looks like there will be something to watch in 11 days. Thanks for all the time Al.

Here's my take... if it sucks I'll never have to worry about doing it again.

Yes I voted. I just asked three of my guys and even though they are in their 40's (and have worked here since they got out of high school) they have never voted......ever! I don't know if I can get away with it but in 2012 if you work for me and have the right to vote and don't, you will no longer work here. Never heard such shit.

JJ

Fbody383
11-02-2010, 06:00 PM
In 2012 if you work for me and have the right to vote and don't, you will no longer work here. Never heard such shit. You certainly CAN make sure folks have an opportunity to vote either early or on election day and share with them how much gubmit costs... i.e. why you can't pay more.

cobra132
11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Please delete the above 2 posts. I am currently suffering through an EEO complaint lodged against our business, and believe me, nobody needs that. ( Even though I agree with you..... Crap, delete this one too ).

Fbody383
11-06-2010, 05:05 PM
*** NOVEMBER, 6 2010 UPDATE ***

OK, looks like I found the last duplicate scene... once is enough though I really do like it. Will be simple enough to replace, probably with video of a cat.

It's been fully rendered once to DVD and plays on at least one of my DVD players. I probably won't have enough for everybody at the banquet but can bring some and get the final posted to the FTP site and/or arrange for a pile of them at Houston.

Thanks to everybody that provided pictures and footage and special thanks to G. Robertson who gave me some music to choose from.

Put a 16:9 HD camera on your Christmas list, or two identical ones if you want some 3D next year.

Hey Balingit, make sure there's more time between the last race and the banquet in '11.

I hope you guys enjoy it; I had a good time putting together but would have loved to have more time.

*** 2011 Year End Video Update ***

Never to early to start thinking about pictures and video. As you build cars and make adjustments over the winter, at least take some pictures.

Also, the FTP site will be up for at least the next year since it's already paid for. I'll collapse everything there now into a 2010 folder and setup the known 2011 events ahead of time.

If you provided pictures or video and don't want them left up on the FTP site, feel freee to delete them or tell me and I'll take them down for you.

mitchntx
11-06-2010, 07:40 PM
How large is the Video_TS folder?

I have a burner farm at work ...

Fbody383
11-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Gary R. decided he would just throw THIS (http://vimeo.com/16717234) together...

nasa-rm
11-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey Balingit, make sure there's more time between the last race and the banquet in '11.

Last race will be on Saturday at 3:30PM and we'll do the awards banquet Saturday evening at 6pm :P

Fbody383
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Last race will be on Saturday at 3:30PM and we'll do the awards banquet Saturday evening at 6pm :P

The Boss Man is looking for video volunteers... ;)

Looking forward to seeing Revkah on Saturday.

nasa-rm
11-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Looking forward to seeing Revkah on Saturday.

Oh SNAP!

I guess since I flaked and didn't get the video clip I promised, I've been banished to waiting in the parking lot. :oops:

Fbody383
11-12-2010, 05:50 PM
I guess since I flaked and didn't get the video clip I promised, I've been banished to waiting in the parking lot. :oops: You didn't flake... the guys let you down. You can carry the soft drinks up and down the steps.

Fbody383
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
So long 2010. (http://vimeo.com/19013822)

Charge those batteries... we'll have the 2011 thread started in just a couple weeks.