PDA

View Full Version : Axle Flange Failure

RichardP
06-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Here is an ineresting failure mode for an axle that I found while rebuilding my traction-slop today. I'm not sure how I even noticed it since it's mostly hidden under the ABS exciter ring (removed for the picture).

A closer examination shows that the crack is a full 360 degrees around the axle and extends all the way through to the front face. The axle flange has actually rotated a small amount and is apparently fully separated from the axle shaft.

I have no idea how long this failure has been working or how long before complete failure would have happened. My guess is that catistropic failure wasn't too far away and I (or Chris) dodged a big bullet. The other axle, with the same amount of time on it, shows no sign of any issue.

Just something for people to keep in mind when they are inspecting their cars.

Richard Pedersen
#91 LX 5.0

chicane23
06-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Great catach RP!

RichardP
06-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I got a picture of the other side to turn out. This side was a lot harder to see. I had to clean it up a bunch before it would show up in a photo.

Richard Pedersen
#91 LX 5.0

gt40
06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Factory axles?

Good thing I just inspected mine...

gt40
06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Factory axles?

Good thing I just inspected mine...

Mike Bell
06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Scary stuff RP. Thanks for taking the time to share. That alternate view shows that it takes a keen eye looking for detail to avert a potential disaster. Glad you caught it in time.

cmarvel
06-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Yes once again Richard has proven he is one step ahead of me. He also had the good grace not to dwell on the fact that it was the driver's side :wink:

RichardP
02-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I thought I'd update this post since I finally got around to cutting apart the flange of my failed axle. The flange had fully separated. When I cut the flange apart, it easily fell off of the axle. The shape of the fracture was the only thing holding the flange on.

Very scary stuff. Be safe out there...

Richard P.

donovan
02-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Wow! I will be looking at my axles again before the next event, and adding that inspection to my check list.

DD

Al Fernandez
02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
We had a similar find on a CMC 3rd gen not that long ago on the west coast. This is definitely something to inspect for. You might want to consider the $35 or so it takes to get some dye penetrant / developer to make the inspection easier.

jeffburch
02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
This reminds me that Marshall had a left rear wheel wobble at the dyno day.
Was that a wheel or what Marshall?

jb

marshall_mosty
02-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it is a bent axle. New axles are on my to do list. Due to a poorly placed tire wall, I didn't get to concentrate on that prior to this event.