PDA

View Full Version : Texas Racers for <Charity To Be Named>

BlueFirePony
12-29-2009, 04:29 PM
There seemed to be some interest in working a charity event into the TWS Endurance race in late April, so I called Clifton and he thinks its doable.
JK also mentioned that we could consider the Texas Mile (which is in late March 2010).
I was not planning to enter my car in either event in 2010, but if this charity thing gets steam I'll do my best to attend one or both (though I'll be lucky if I can get BFP over 160mph).

Here's a few thoughts I've collected (mine and others):

Rather than limit this to our group, we should extend to all race groups and maybe have a "Series Challenge" for the most $ raised.

We need to engage the charity directly and have them assign someone (or someones) to work with us directly to raise awareness of the event and to even help collect pledges - e.g. they assign someone locally in Dallas, Austin, Houston, etc. to work with folks in/near their hometown. This would be a good way of getting the involvement of the specific charity rather than us just handing over coin and make the event itself more successful.

For the TWS endurance race, pledges per lap seems to make a lot of sense...in fact, cents per laps makes a lot of sense ;)
For the Texas Mile, pledges per MPH would make sense.

We could start attending local car show/events in Feb/March & early April to promote our series and collect pledges. This would be one way to get involved, even if you are not going to race in the endurance race.

This would be a good positive step in promoting our series and doing something nice for others. As promised, this is the point where I am ready to take names of people who want to be involved.
[/list]

GlennCMC70
12-29-2009, 05:09 PM
all great ideas.
how about asking those charities if they want to be involved in the officiating of the event? the enduro could use some help on pit road for sure. get them to the track, get them involved.
the flip side is we could all vote on a single charity and target them. contact the local media to cover it in the news. great press for them and us.

i'm in for the enduro.

BlueFirePony
01-10-2010, 12:39 AM
So far the Enduro seems to be a likely candidate for this. I've gotta head out to NY for a few days but when I get back I plan to start getting this figured out and I'll be reaching out for help in doing so.
I'm all about having the charity contribute time and talent to make this successful.
If anyone has specific contacts with a charity that you'd recommend we work with let me know. I'll be making some calls around while I am in NY.

BlueFirePony
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Been swamped lately and completely forgot to update on this!
I am glad to say that this is becoming a reality - hoping to put some details together while we are in Houston.

I've put a strawman together on this and I think its realistic to kick this off next week after Houston. If you are interested in helping organize, be involved or just have ideas that have not been raised already just let me know.

kbrewmr2
01-26-2010, 10:00 PM
keep up the good work on this 8) I'm interested

GlennCMC70
01-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Good news.
I'll help where I can...... just ask.

BlueFirePony
03-22-2010, 08:14 PM
I spoke with the event coordinator for the Texas Food Banks and they don't have any volunteers to work with us - they have a couple of big events in April.
I really counted on a broader level of support to make this happen so I am thinking about reloading for another time. Thoughts?