PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Ford Ranger Tranny install

BlueFirePony
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I am having a heck of a time getting the transmission back into my son's 2001 Ford Ranger.
The dowel pins look straight, the torque converter is well seated - but I can't get the dang thing that last 1/2 inch.

Any suggestions are welcome...I won't have time to work on it again until Friday or Saturday so I am open to anything that'll get this beast done so I can start working on the race car!

Rob Liebbe
02-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Make sure the torque converter is seated. Sometimes it has to seat "twice" or over "two steps". And obviously, are the torque converter bolts lined up in their flex plate holes.

I know these may be obvious, but sometimes that's what gets you. Whatever you do, don't force it the last 1/2 inch, you may force the torques converter into the front of the transmission.

Come to think of it, is the the front cover/pump of the trans proper?

Good luck.

Leinart??

David Love AI27
02-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I am having a heck of a time getting the transmission back into my son's 2001 Ford Ranger.
The dowel pins look straight, the torque converter is well seated - but I can't get the dang thing that last 1/2 inch.

Any suggestions are welcome...I won't have time to work on it again until Friday or Saturday so I am open to anything that'll get this beast done so I can start working on the race car!

This may sound stupid (I felt like it when it happened to me) but make sure you don't have anything pinched at the top between the bell housing and motor... I pinched the wiring harness up there one time and damaged the harness...

BlueFirePony
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll double check the torque converter Friday morning when I get to it again...pretty sure its seated all the way but worth another look.
Definately lined up on flex plate and flywheel lines up fine.
I stopped when the bolts were clearly not wanting to go.
Everything looked good at the front when I had the converter off but I may pull that again and make sure as well.

Thanks Rob! It was great seeing you walking around with a smile on your face...and with only one pill a day at that ! :)