PDA

View Full Version : oil slingage

Wirtz
02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
So following up on my other thread about oiling from my LB9:

After MSR-H I did find the front of my engine covered in oil. Not only that, but it looks to have been slung out in all direction. Splashes on the hood, and alot out in the wheel wells and for example on the back of the brake backing plates. I'm assuming it is from the front seal, getting on to the back of the balancer and then being flug everywhere. Not sure yet and have not been able to make enough time to really look at it.

Just looking to see if anyone has seen this and has any tips of feedback?

Prior to this my engine has been fairly oil tight. Some drippage from the high dollar Canton pan, but nothing from the seals. I was even running alot of tape on my oil cooler at MSR-H so my oil temps were stable at ~ 200, although I guess the oil took a lap or so to come to temp, maybe I over pressured??

grrrrr.....

Fbody383
02-11-2010, 04:11 PM
1 vote for front seal.

Mine seemed to seep a little past the rear main sitting in the cold over the winter but I didn't have anything fresh after being out on track. And I would know as much as I was under the car.

I say sell the motor to a Gary and go to The Duece; Liebbe dares you, and Landrum double dog dares you.

mitchntx
02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
That sounds like a LOT of oil. What's the oil level look like?

TJ Bain
02-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Double check that it's engine oil. Turning a stock 3rd gen PS pump to AI RPMs makes it puke everywhere even with a radiator hose giving it a 8" neck.

Most of it ends up on the driver's side of the engine bay, but whatever gets blown onto the bottom side of the hood goes everywhere.

David Love AI27
02-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Turning a stock 3rd gen PS pump to AI RPMs makes it puke everywhere

There is your problem Jeff... stop turning AI lap times and you won't have any problems...

Wirtz
02-12-2010, 11:10 AM
There is power steering all over the front as well. I did overfill the PS slightly at the beginning of the weekend. Normally my car needs to have the level set to the very bottom. Will be out in the shop this weekend I hope and can get a better read on where things are at.

AllZWay
02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Just drop the LT1 in it and come get some. :wink:

Fbody383
02-12-2010, 03:26 PM
This member of the CMC field also supports your decision to move to The Duece in a direct and timely manner.

AllZWay
02-12-2010, 04:04 PM
This member of the CMC field also supports your decision to move to The Duece in a direct and timely manner.

It is about time for you to move to the duece as well.

michaelmosty
02-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Everyone needs to move to the duece. :D

Wirtz
02-12-2010, 04:43 PM
What, and go up against the Lobster Claw :shock:

No thanks!

;)

Fbody383
02-12-2010, 05:15 PM

It is about time for you to move to the duece as well.

Come on now, this isn't about <cough>2009ROTY<cough> me, it's about Wirtz and his fluid retention problem... :shock:

David Love AI27
02-12-2010, 10:20 PM

good luck with that one... thats like going to a gun fight and telling you opponent' "Wait... maybe you need a bigger gun..." I'm just sayin'...