PDA

View Full Version : In-car communication

mitchntx
03-20-2006, 07:41 PM
With your "crew", race steward or car to car ...

What's the latest?

We really should get together on this and decide on a system so that we are all compatible.

Mike Bell
03-20-2006, 08:54 PM
I can't recall the option Clifton was discussing on the Yahoo group but I think it was about $30 or so to receive official transmissions? If so, I'm in on that if we have a track official who can/would transmit the pertinent info quickly!

Sure would have helped me on that last full course yellow we had at Cresson......

GlennCMC70
03-20-2006, 10:23 PM
werd!

AllZWay
03-21-2006, 09:46 AM
A lot of race tracks are going to this little gadget for just receiving official race communication.

http://www.raceceiver.com/default.aspx

This company initially started building the units for race fans of Nascar races.

I actually owned one of the very first units they ever built...... it still needed some refinement so I returned it and bought a full race scanner, but it was a good item just didn't have enough power to pick up from very far distances.

Boudy
03-27-2006, 06:11 PM
If there is interest, I would be glad to help out here. My career is in private 2-way so I can help you guys wade through the options available to us for either recieve only or 2-way communications.

Boudy

GlennCMC70
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
there is a post over on CMC forums about a $300 system that provides a driver and crew person set-up.

Boudy
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
OK guys, here's the latest. I've talked to Clifton and NASA is really working to get something set up for a safety broadcast. The goal is to do some testing at the event this weekend.

I have offered to fit the entire AI/CMC class with radios to serve as a receive only test bed to perform a safety broadcast for the weekend. If broadcasted this way, any scanner can also monitor. I've also got 50+ helmet buds of 2 different styles. The only problem at this point is that I'm waiting on UPS and the tracking number I have is wrong. However, I have been assured that they are on the way. Which I'll believe it when they show. This is why I've hesitated to make a big grandios statement.

Anyhow, I've got 5 channels liscensed to use at all of our events nationwide for a safety broadcast. If NASA desides to go this route, we've already got a paved road.

Once the testing is completed, the radios will be sold to teams interested in 2-way communicaitions at a heavily discounted rate.(Like, less than 1/2 of what these systems cost from other vendors.) I will also work with teams to omit the usual FCC nightmare of obtaining liscensed channels.

More as things unfold...

Adam Ginsberg
04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Boudy - huge thanks for getting this underway. We sincerely appreciate the help, and look forward to testing @ MSR-C this weekend ( UPS permitting! ).

Boudy
04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Well guys, the radios showed up. However, the arrived with the wrong type of headset for helmets. I due have 12 headsets from another vendor that will work and I've ordered a rush shipment of correct headsets. Should be here tomorrow if luck prevails. If they don't make it, we'll only be able to test with 12 instead of 36.

For those who will be using your own scanner, my frequencies are:

1) 464.5625
2) 469.5625
3) 461.0375
4) 466.0375
5) 462.9125

Not that we'll need it, but call sign for all 5 channels is WQET858.

Boudy

chris-CMC#35
04-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Boudy,

BIG thanks for sticking with this thing; this is not only cool, it's a very important safety feature for NASA.

Now I'm even more bummed I won't be there this weekend.

-chris

Boudy
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Sorry Guys, I won't be providing any assistance with testing this weekend after all. NASA will be testing this weekend with a base station and some Raceceivers.

Boudy

Todd Covini
04-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Bummer.
No chance of a "Coke & Pepsi Challenge"???

-=- T